PDA

View Full Version : nano w/ pod problem?

IsThisNameTaken?
01/31/2006, 11:58 PM
I'm having a major pod problem in my 4 gallon nano reef. The current residents are 4 red leg hermits, 4 nassarius snails, and one emerald crab, no fish. I'm wondering what I could introduce that 1) would eat the pods? and 2) could survive in such a small tank. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Has anyone had any experience with Citron goby's eating pods?

Thanks for your help.

zemuron114
02/01/2006, 12:15 AM
thats a toughy... im interested as well because its such a small tank...

Wiggawam
02/01/2006, 01:41 AM
Never really heard that one before.

IsThisNameTaken?
02/01/2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah I'm kind of in a dilema. Do cleaner shrimp eat pods?

NeilPearson
02/01/2006, 09:30 AM
Pods shouldn't be a problem :)

It sounds like a new tank. New tanks often have a pod explosion early on and then they die back somewhat. Most people are excited to have pods. The more the better.

Flipper1
02/01/2006, 09:38 AM
I agree with Neil. My 5.5 gallon, which has been running for a year, has got just a ton of pods in it. Some days I don't want to use the magnet for fear of hurting them. Regardless of the great number of bugs in the tank, I've seen no detrimental effects. I'm happy to have 'em!

So Cal shaggy
02/01/2006, 10:31 AM
Do not worry about them they will stabilize and the population will thin out besides pods help they keep the micro algae down to a min. and keep the tank spick and span clean but if you really want to get rid of them try a damsel or two stay away from Domino and zebra damsels maybe a blue devil or a yellowtail blue devil they only get about 2" max size and have nice coloring

fishman805
02/01/2006, 02:38 PM
I totally agree with what has been said so far... Pods are a good thing to have for many reasons and they will thin themselves out in time.... Don't get anything that eats pods exclusively for such a small tank as yours because they will run out of food very quickly.... Unfortunatelly, your tank is really too small for any of the nano fish that are out there......

Good luck..

Bob

IsThisNameTaken?
02/01/2006, 02:48 PM
The tank has been setup for 3 months now.

in general I dont mind em but they are starting to harass some valued zoos. I think I might try a Citron Goby.

NeilPearson
02/01/2006, 05:19 PM
pods don't really harass zoos... do you have any pictures?

IsThisNameTaken?
02/02/2006, 01:58 PM
nope no pics. they do their damage at night but I have definitely caught them in the act. This isnt my first tank I've experience it in either. I'll try a citron. thanks.

NeilPearson
02/02/2006, 02:13 PM
They aren't your everyday pods then. Most that I have heard about aren't preditory and wouldn't harm zoos. Actually I don't know if I've ever heard about a zoo eating pod. Snails and nudibranches yeah but not pods.

fishman805
02/02/2006, 02:22 PM
I think what you are seeing with the pods bugging your zoos is that they are around them eating at the micro algae... It just appears that they are attacking your zoos.... In some cases, pods will keep iritating the zoos enough to the point that they are always closed.... But pods don't attack zoos or anything else for that matter....

Bob

wetWolger
02/02/2006, 02:34 PM
in anwser to your question you could put a chromis in there....it would eat the pods and be able to live in your tank

fishman805
02/02/2006, 02:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6651042#post6651042 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jent46bow
in anwser to your question you could put a chromis in there....it would eat the pods and be able to live in your tank

I don't think a chromis would go well in a 4gal tank... There aren't too many fish that will thrive in a tank that small ....

Bob

lvreefer
02/02/2006, 02:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6650955#post6650955 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishman805
I think what you are seeing with the pods bugging your zoos is that they are around them eating at the micro algae... It just appears that they are attacking your zoos.... In some cases, pods will keep iritating the zoos enough to the point that they are always closed.... But pods don't attack zoos or anything else for that matter....

Bob

I second this belief. I have had the same problem with a larger zoo colony. At first I thought I had a snail or nudi problem. But it ended up being a dime sized hole under a couple of zoos that the pods were using for shelter. A couple of zoos ended up dying off, but the rest of the colony is healthy and growing.

gmatt
02/02/2006, 05:23 PM
I wish I had my tank up and running I would like to take some of those pods off your hands.