PDA

View Full Version : SPS feeding question

FroMan
02/01/2006, 11:18 AM
This past weekend at the CTARS meeting I won a couple of frags, as part of the groups raffle. I also picked up some phyto-feast for them.

My question is how should I be adding this to the tank? Should I just be adding this to the water colum and let the power heads blow it around? Or should I try to target feed them and shut flow off briefly in the tank?

Based on the directions and the fact that the frags are still quite small, I've only been adding ~5 mL to the tank per day since placing them in the tank (tank = 55 gal). Is this adequate or should I ramp it up further?

Also will the clean up crew remove the rest of the uneaten food or will this just be filtered out in the skimmer?

I'm just curious as to what method is generally accepted as standard practice.

thank you for the help in advance!

Fro

jedininja
02/01/2006, 12:47 PM
SPS do not feed on phytoplankton directly. They ony feed on zooplankton. So by adding phytofeast, you are feeding the zooplankton that acros will eat. But if you want to feed the acros directly, try some rotifeast instead.

Pyrrhus
02/01/2006, 09:20 PM
cyclop-eeze also works for some larger polyped acros, but rotifers are the best.

redwinger02
02/01/2006, 11:09 PM
Fish poop, light, CA and Alk and you are good to go.

drake66
02/02/2006, 02:23 AM
fish poop.

FroMan
02/02/2006, 09:23 PM
Thank you all for your input.

I would like some clarification on the 'fish poop' comments. Are you saything that the nitrates feed the algae or that the corals will consume the fish waste directly?