PDA

View Full Version : Best way to supplement calc/alk?

gsxrguru2
02/01/2006, 12:51 PM
If there are other posts covering this, I appologize, if someone can refer me to it I'd appreciate it.

Anyways, my question now that I have a reef tank that is up and running albeit still very empty, I am trying to figure out what is the best way to keep calc/alk levels up. From my research so far I have come to realize that there are both kalk reactors (using kalkwasser) and calcium reactors which use crushed coral, right? I am trying to incorporate my auto top off which is RO/DI water straight from the filter into whatever type of setup I go with. Whatever I end up using it will have to fit under my stand which allows me about 24" in height.

Basically I'm looking for suggestions between these two (kalk/calcium reactor) and if there are other ways to supplement, please enlighten me. As always your guys' help is very much appreciated!:rollface:

ErikS
02/01/2006, 01:23 PM
You've listed two of the three main ways, the third is additives.

Kalk reactor = good for moderate demand systems. Struggle to keep up with higher demands as you can only evap so much water (& in turn add so much kalk)

CA reactor = good for higher demand systems. You add CA/ALK on a constant basis not just @ evap. Downside is cost, look to spend in the area of $500 (depending on DIY/used).

Additives = good for any sized demand.....but can get costly in both time & money (again DIY can help).

As for demand - it only takes a few SPS & clams to significantly up the demand. If you're just going LPS chances are pretty good that a kalk reactor will keep up.

There really is no "best", there is onlywhat works best for you.

gsxrguru2
02/01/2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks Eric! That is pretty much the type of answer I was looking for to determine how I will handle the Ca in my tank.

dc_909
02/01/2006, 04:20 PM
Randys 2-part

fittdog8848
02/01/2006, 04:26 PM
I use the B-Ionic doser system. It is easy to use and to maintain. It changed my tank completely once I started using it (because I was too lazy to keep up with dosing). Check out B-Ionic 2 stage setup. Just a little pump and the Chemical.

bhdmc
02/01/2006, 04:44 PM
I uses both a Cal. Reactor and a Kalk-reactor. The Cal. Reactor runs 24/4, while the Kalk-Reactor is dose during the night hrs to help with the PH. The inital cost for the set-up is expenses. IMO, once the system is set-up and running, there is less maintainence and the maintainence cost is lower.

dc_909
02/01/2006, 09:28 PM
B-Ionic is WAY too expensive! $30 or more for 2 gallons w/ no Mag sup.

Home-made = $20 for 1 gallon each of Cal, Alk, Mag
and plenty left over to make more batches

gsxrguru2
02/01/2006, 10:48 PM
dc, what do you use to make these?

ehawk
02/01/2006, 11:35 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

and for reference:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

dc_909
02/02/2006, 09:09 AM
Calcium = Dowflake, Hardness plus, Prsetone driveway heat
Alk= Baking soda
Mag= Epsom Salts, but Magnesium chloride is better if you can find

Use the links ehawk provided

fittdog8848
02/02/2006, 10:20 AM
Hey DC,

You think i could continue using the B-Ionic dosing system but start making my own supplements? Dumb question I suppose but I am wondering if I would still dose 35ml per day using the home made 2 part solution.

dc_909
02/02/2006, 11:31 AM
the home made solution will be more concentrated, so you would use less. Their is a calculator on the site somewhere to let you know how much to use of the 2-part.

Hopefully someone can post it for you.