PDA

View Full Version : EV-240 Problems

kawasaki00
02/01/2006, 06:40 PM
I have a ev 240 on a 240g reef with the pan world 100 pump on it. It just does not produce very fine bubbles or a consistant skimmate. Please give me some advice on another skimmer selection or something to try. I have thought about putting a beckett injector on the aqua c body as a cost saver instead of buying a new skimmer. What do you guys think?

ASM G4
PM Bullet xl model 1
MRC -2 with 2 injectors (don't have room for the -3 model.

Pilot Fish
02/01/2006, 07:56 PM
My 240 is the same. It produced one good cup of skimmate the second day of its operation and since then its been horrible, barely pulling out skimmate. I just bought an H&S skimmer for my 375 and will replace my EV-240 soon.
Good Luck

CaptainCoral
02/01/2006, 08:25 PM
I'll try to help. :)

I've used the 180 and currently use the ev400.
Happy with both of them!

kawasaki00......Is that the panworld with 3/4 or 1" in/outlets?

I know that the ev180 runs poorly with the suggested pumps, and using the pump thats the next size up works great. (I use a mag9.5 instead of a mag7)
My ev400 works just fine with the recomended genx mak4 pump.

I've never used the ev240, and I don't know if your pump is driving enough pressure or not. If it blows large joined bubbles all the way to the top of the riser, with the water set at the bottom of the air chamber, and the air valve all the way open, your pump should be fine.
They work best when set up like this.........

Pump the water in full blast, ungated. (unless your pump is grossly oversized)
open the air valve full.
Adjust the gate so that the water level waves appear where your riser meets the box. Then back it off slowly until just where you no longer see the water level.
Now, this setting will work, but you'll see alot of large joined bubbles at the top, when it starts foaming. It's better to back off the airvalve to the point where the bubbles appear tiny at the base and bb sized at the top of the riser (by the cup). Play with that air valve for a couple days or three and keep the water level just out of view in the riser, and you should get a good idea where that sweet spot is.

Hope to help, before you feel like it needs replacing. :)

CaptainCoral
02/01/2006, 08:35 PM
If you wanted to run it wet, hopefully someone will chime in with how to best set it up for that. ;)

kawasaki00
02/01/2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks, I have another use for the pan world 100 so I purchased a 150 to try and help it out. The manual says it will handle the mak4, little giant 4mdq and the 40RLT. But the 40 is smaller than the other pumps, almost like it is a typo because the other pumps are equal to the 55RLT and the 150 PW is the same as the 55 also. The one I am running is only 790 vs. the 1190 of the other pumps. It seems as though there is alot of air blowing out of the collection cup. Like it is pulling in alot of air but not mixing it in the water only passing it through the skimmer and out the top.

CaptainCoral
02/02/2006, 04:28 PM
You're going to skim like no one's business now. :)

Let us know how it works out.

Oh, also, I check the injector about once a week (I have thousands of 1/4" strombus snails that like to get stuck in it).
The air valve get's cleaned every other week or so, and the little elbow on the collection cup and the cup itself, get cleaned every three days or so. I bought cleaning brushes from Aquatic Eco Systems to help these tasks.

exo
02/04/2006, 09:11 PM
I have had a 240 for 2 years now and it is a super skimmer but as already known, the pumps arnt on target. I have tried a RLT 30 iwaski pump and found that the 40 works better. Ajustments are gate valve ajusted so water is at bottom of air plate. I use ozone in the small hose connector, and keep the other valve 1/4 way open.
Recently I have added a small power head to the mixing chamger and it has increased production by 1/4 per. cent.
One final note...Your pump intake should have a corse screan on it. And clean it once a week. The injector nozzle needs cleaned once in a while. Some times the pump should come apart to clean the impeller. I noticed the production of bubbles decreases and i know that the pump is started to restrict in some way..