PDA

View Full Version : humu humu trigger skin

reefer1187
02/01/2006, 07:39 PM
hey everyone i just got my trigger about a week ago and when realeasing him into my aquarium he got a little stuck to the net, and his skin looks kind of white like its peeling, is this something which is normal? and will it heal?

o and by the way he is active and swimming around and eating perfectly fine

reefer1187
02/01/2006, 08:25 PM
??? :(

Blown 346
02/01/2006, 09:30 PM
Sounds like he just has some damged scales, it will heal in time. I would watch it closely for infection.

reefer1187
02/02/2006, 08:38 AM
is there anything i can give him to help speed up the process?

also what are some signs of infection?

Pandora
02/02/2006, 03:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6648159#post6648159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefer1187
is there anything i can give him to help speed up the process?

also what are some signs of infection?

Answer to the first: Good water quality.

Second: You won't see the scaling areas heal over in the next few days; they will get worse rather than better. The area may look red, inflamed, or open up into wider white or pink areas. You may see discharge or a growth along the lip of the injury. Behaviorally, if he gets infected, he will act differently; refusing to eat, hanging out in the corner or on the surface, or acting listlessly are all possible signs. Can't make any assumptions for a couple of days, though.

stevebydac
02/02/2006, 03:20 PM
Pandora summed it up perfectly. I can't stress enough, if he starts acting a lot differently -- especially listlessness or loss of his regular appetite, act within HOURS if you can to fight it with medication. A bacterial infection can overwhelm a fish in 24 hours, and it's very hard for them to recover once they pass a certain point.

That said, triggers are tough as heck, and they usually just shrug off any minor scratches. Make sure your water parameters are good - nitrates and phosphates low, PH 8.0-8.3. Also, increase his feeding -- I always do that as an insurance policy. If you feed him 5 times a week, feed him 7 until he gets over this. If you feed him 1 meal a day, feed him 2 small meals instead. Just to try to get a little extra good nutrition in him to battle any potential infection (don't let the water get fouled though -- keep an eye on your tests). Then go back to his regular schedule once it is obvious that he is in no danger.