PDA

View Full Version : 75gal stand planning help

Tampico
02/01/2006, 09:15 PM
Getting ready to build a stand for my 75 acrylic tank. I had wanted to have a clear span left to right on the 4ft tank if possible. Wanted to build the inner frame out of 2x4s framed like wall left side and right, but was thinking about using 2x6 on end with 3/4 furniture grade ply top. Any thoughts it it would sag? Stand need to be strong square but not pretty. I have sheets of brushed stainless that I will cover it with ....

PL-Reef
02/01/2006, 09:38 PM
i built a stand fot my 65 out uf 3/4 oak ply. walls l/r back bottem and top , the front and raised panel doors out of solid 3/4 oak. 5 coats of poly. ply is incredably strong when standing on edge. i used a kreg pocket hole jig to tie it all in. i hope this might help you. you might want to concider having the top sit on 3/4 ply. and frame behind.

Tampico
02/01/2006, 09:50 PM
Wow clear span in the middle? I must be way over thinking it Iwas worried that 4 2x6 stringers and a 3/4 ply on top of that might sag. Funny how things fall intoplace. A very large crate shipped in from Germany today and I get to "dispose" of it. Euro ply has about 30 plys and I have never seen the air gap spaces in some of the plys like you see here

Dennis7
02/01/2006, 11:21 PM
Remember it's always better to over build if its yours.