PDA

View Full Version : Check it out :)

Pufferowners
02/02/2006, 12:34 AM
I took a vid of my puffer eating shrimp. I tried to feed him brine shrimp before i fed him the bigger ones and he would not eat it. anyway enjoy let me know what you think....

http://media.putfile.com/puffer-eating

ReefGeekster
02/02/2006, 12:43 AM
Nice Video! One hungry Porky!

techigirl78
02/02/2006, 04:33 PM
That is so cute. I like how you had to point it out to him. :rollface:

Pufferowners
02/02/2006, 10:24 PM
Ya hes really cool! Tons of personality! Thanks for the comments.

LRS078
02/06/2006, 01:53 PM
Got to love puffers... Ever tried giving porky some scallops, mussels, or squid? Visit a local fresh market (grocery chain stuff tends to get rejected by the same fish that go nuts for fresh market stuff) I had publix shrimp that nobody would touch (rinsed and whatnot) but the second I offered them some from a local freshmarket it became the all-you-can-eat seafood buffet.

bigdee65
02/06/2006, 02:02 PM
Nice vid :thumbsup: My pork was a pig as well, I would have to trick him into moving to one side of the tank so I could feed the rest of the tank!!! :)

Pufferowners
02/06/2006, 03:02 PM
haha. I will try to give him some of thouse things also. What seems to be a good diet for them? I tried giving him the cube food and some brine shrimp but he wasnt going for that. Also they are VERY messy!

LRS078
02/06/2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah, puffers are messy....they use that anal fin as a manure spreader for the most part so no luck trying to vacuum out the large dumps.

A good diet for puffers has variety. Some will eat green stuff but not all. Don't push it if they don't....that is what we have tangs for...j/k. By variety I like to feed one thing one night, and rotate. You can mix it all at once and do the same every night but as long as they get the variety they are good.

My puffer's menu includes the following: mysis shrimp (frozen), silversides (frozen), krill (mostly as a treat), fresh market shrimp (shell on), FM squid, FM mussels, FM scallops. I'll soak whatever I'm feeding in Marine C and Zoe. Also cut/chop foods to close to bite size as possible for the fish. Some will bite/chew up larger chunks and some will not...

Its actually much cheaper to buy this stuff fresh, freeze it, and thaw daily what you need. If you take a razor (or henckel 10" depending on quantity) and chop while still frozen it will A) thaw easier/more quickly and B) be easier to work with (will slice vs deform/stick)

To help reduce mess I find it helpful to take one of the fine mesh nets and rinse the frozen stuff first, then soak in supplements, then drain off excess. That way a minimum of "fug" gets in the tank that isn't eaten directly.

Happy Puffering...

Pufferowners
02/06/2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks alot but I dont really know where to get all those? I know where to get silversides. But nothing else really. whats FM mean? sorry for the illiteracy to this issue haha. I am very new to this. Thanks again.

LRS078
02/07/2006, 02:18 AM
I truly apologize, got typing in too much of a hurry...hehe. FM = fresh market. In Atlanta I am lucky enough to have a few grocery markets that buck the supermarket chain theory and go for uber quality first. True, you pay a tad more but when a pound of shell on organic shrimp lasts me a month compared to 3-5x that for frozen mysis at the LFS it doesn't take an accontant (do that on a corparate level thank you....grrrrrrr) to figure out it just works out well....

If you don't have any grocery stores that specialize in that type of produce you can always make the rounds at the "ethnic" markets, specifically the oriental markets. You can get GREAT quality stuff really inexpensively there.

No matter what anyone says....don't sweat being new to this, EVERYONE, and I mean it....has been there before.

In case the 6-7" golden puffer, 4-5" dogface, 4" spiney box, 2-3" Stars and Stripes, and 3" toby puffer don't give it away.....some of us here LOVE puffers. I am very glad to see you take such a passion in your porky. They are such a personable fish.

By "fresh market" I mean a place that sells fresh as possible seafood. Their pricing is usually equal or slightly higher than chain supermarket but the quality is 3x-10x. Your fish will tell on you if you buy the cheap stuff.

Local experience is 1 lb of "fresh" shrimp from chain supermarket that gets left 90% on the bottom for $6.99 per lb versus fresh market shrimp that gets eaten like crack-head puffers for $11.99 per lb. FYI, your average mysis or silverside frozen pack from the LFS costs $15-$20. While mysis are a solid part of the diet (fat content) c'mon.... My 6-7" golden eats for the same relative cost as my greedy as hell dogface who is 4-5".

Hope this helps...

PS if you can't find anything local, please private message me and I'll have a friend who is in the industry (grocery) see who might have what you are looking for locally.

Pufferowners
02/07/2006, 10:46 PM
Thank you very much I will look around.

Bill Shultz
02/07/2006, 10:56 PM
Great Video. My guy is pretty similar with his unstoppable appetite.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/56016RC-max_s-eyes-med.jpg

He has always been the star of the tank.

Pufferowners
02/07/2006, 11:06 PM
good pic!

Bill Shultz
02/09/2006, 03:35 PM
thanks. It's no video, but I was pretty happy with the result.

Anybody else have pics of their puffers to share?

Pufferowners
02/11/2006, 06:06 PM
I have sold my puffer. I want to start right then I think I want to get a non aggressive tank thats easier to manitain and feed. I really liked the puffer but he was to much to start with.