PDA

View Full Version : Worm or Slug or Nudi ID

ODOG
02/02/2006, 01:33 PM
The tank has been up a year and haven't made any new additions recently. Just saw this guy for the first time about a week ago and he has shwon up about every other day since. He doesn't appear to be going after anything. I've seen him on the glass a few times a couple of rocks and only one coral (clove polyps) which were kind of sickly looking anyway.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/tkeonce/DSC_0418.jpg

bertoni
02/02/2006, 08:30 PM
Might be a Stomatella. Google should turn up some pictures. The picture is a little blurry, but I think I can see the mini-shell.

LeslieH
02/02/2006, 09:46 PM
Aren't the tentacles in the wrong place & the body too flexiblefor a Stomatella? I think it's a baby nudi in the family Arminidae. these feed on soft corals so it's not a good thing to have around.

bertoni
02/02/2006, 11:11 PM
I was only guessing. :) You're right, the antennae don't look right.

ODOG
02/03/2006, 09:30 AM
it's definately not a Stomatella. i thought it looked like a nudi, but couldn't find a guy that looked just like this. next time i see him it will come out. it's funny though the few times i have seen him he wasn't really around any of my softies, but better safe than sorry.

ODOG
02/04/2006, 09:47 AM
well, I've been keeping my eye out and found it again today on my all but dead clove polyps. After taking out the oyster shell I had the cloves on the nudi appeared to be dead and the "head" looked missing....as I'm typing though it looks like the "head" has popped back out and he is moving again. I'm going to toss him I guess and hope he didn't have babies.

sps_addict
02/05/2006, 10:04 PM
Looks to be a type of dorid nudibranch.

Here is a pic of the one I had awhile back...it ate some my soft corals (specifically anthelia and clove polyps) and spawned fairly quickly.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/71594slug_front.jpg

EDIT: Didn't see Leslie's post up there, she is more than likely correct.

LeslieH
02/06/2006, 02:08 AM
Steve - your critter is definitely an arminid nudi; the rhinophores are unmistakeable. No wonder it was going after your soft corals!

sps_addict
02/06/2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks Leslie! Cool, I'll reclassify this one on my personal catalog then. I was told by some else it was a dorid nudi, but this will most definitely help in researching more information about it.

What is the difference between a Dorid and a Arminid structually and appetite?

Thanks again,
Steve