PDA

View Full Version : Another flood! I need a new skimmer help!

todd2000
02/02/2006, 02:53 PM
So my skimmer caused a small flood for the second time (admitidly the first one was my fault). I didn't do anything to the tank, besides clean the filter media, and feed. Not sure which one made the skimmer go nuts but I'm guessing feeding. It did that with flake food too. Either way this skimmer is starting to annoy me. It is a Coralife Super Skimmer 125, and is way to sensitive, every time I add top off/do a water change it doesn't skim for hours, and it seems certain foods make it go nuts, that or somehow cleaning the filter media did it(but that doesn't make sense) Im lucky I caught this one B4 it started another fire. I just can't trust this skimmer any more, and am looking for another, and suggestions? It is a 55G tank, and im looking to keep in the same price range $150ish. Im tempted to get a Prizm even though I've heard bad things, my friend has had one on his 55 for almost 3 years, and it seems to work for him. I had on on my old 39 and it was OK. So anyway what would you recommend? I ws thnking a Remora, but It's hard to tell, some people love them some hate them, what about a bac-pak? Sorry to ramble. So what would be the best skimmer in the $150ish range?

RichConley
02/02/2006, 02:55 PM
Is the skimmer in an area where the water level is constant?

If its not, it doesnt matter what skimmer you have, you'll have floods.

todd2000
02/02/2006, 02:56 PM
Oh and it has to be Hang On Tank

todd2000
02/02/2006, 02:58 PM
It's hanging on the back of my tank, the watr level doesn't fluctuate that much, mabye 1/4 inch B4 I top off, my old Prizm didn't care about water level (I admit it was my first tank, and I didn't top off as much as I should have) Wouldn't a lower water level cause less skimming anyway?

rjwilson37
02/02/2006, 03:06 PM
I would by far go with a remora over a prizm, you hear way more good about remora than a primz. The same goes for bad things, you hear way more bad things about a prizm than a remora, so your odds are much better going with the remora over the prizm.

Make sure you pay the little extra and get the remora with the maxijet pump.

todd2000
02/02/2006, 03:11 PM
Any other suggestions in this price range, just like to have options.

RichConley
02/02/2006, 03:20 PM
Turboflotor 1000. MUCH BETTER than a remora.

Gobie
02/02/2006, 03:27 PM
I use to hate when my skimmer over flowed and cleaning it all the was a pain, so I got rid of it all together. Now I don’t have to worry when I’m on vacation or at work.

todd2000
02/02/2006, 03:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6650944#post6650944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Turboflotor 1000. MUCH BETTER than a remora.

I don't have a sump, and no where to put one if I wanted to. The hang on one is getting a little expensive, and it doesn't come with a pump.

Gobie
02/02/2006, 03:49 PM
you can get a Prizm Pro Deluxe Up to 300 Gal. Hang-On with pump for $180.00

todd2000
02/02/2006, 03:55 PM
Would up to 300Gal be just a little overkill for a 55? The regular prizm is rated up to 90G, which I know is an overstatement, but stil...

Gobie
02/02/2006, 03:56 PM
Sorry didn’t read tank size$100.00 for up to 100 gallons with pump.

todd2000
02/02/2006, 04:42 PM
This hobbys too complicated, I should have stayed with Fresh Water. Im just starting to get frustrated, I never had a Diatom or Algae bloom in any of my freshwater tanks, a few algae eaters and they were fine, didn't have to buy all this equipment, Im seriously considering ditching this thing. If I didn't have $300+ of live rock a $200 light, etc..etc... I think im just gonna get a Prizm, my friend has had his for 2 years and his tank is a little overstocked, and has no problems.

physicslord
02/02/2006, 04:55 PM
Almost any skimmer can flood. That's why they are adjustable.

Just remember the things that make it go nuts: water changes, algae scraping, addition of new live rock, changing of filter floss (big time!).

When you do one of these things turn it down for a day or two so it doesn't flood.
Simple as that.

todd2000
02/02/2006, 04:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6651614#post6651614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by physicslord
Almost any skimmer can flood. That's why they are adjustable.

Just remember the things that make it go nuts: water changes, algae scraping, addition of new live rock, changing of filter floss (big time!).

When you do one of these things turn it down for a day or two so it doesn't flood.
Simple as that.

Why should a water change make it go nuts, water changes make mine stop skimming for a few hours, but thats better then overflowing. Also, why would changing the filter floss make them go nuts?

crny1
02/02/2006, 05:11 PM
Quick question.....i have the same skimmer on my 55. Have you done the output tube mod to it? Mine use to do the same thing till I did the mod and now it is very consistent. It takes about $4 and 5 minutes to do and the results make it a good skimmer. Mine has never overflowed since! PM me if you dont know what the mod is and would like to do it as i can explain it to you. Trust me you will be happy you did.

Wes

physicslord
02/02/2006, 05:13 PM
Okay, here's your answer.

Well skimmers work by taking out sulfactants which are hydrophobic protein molecules. Those organic molecules serve as the catalyst shall we say for holding the bubbles together.
But other things will work as catalysts for bubble formation too.

Changing the filter floss seems to be a big problem because it is made of polyester or something like that. The point is it has petrolium products in it. The new floss has a fine coat of chemicals left over from the manufacturing process. Those get released into the water and cause more skimmate to be formed.

When I change the water I always end up stirring up some junk that has settled into the bottom of my tank and in my rocks. This junk is now in the water column and innevitably it leads to more skimmate being produced. (don't jump all over me, this is just my experience. I noticed the same thing when I scrub a live rock.)

Now, if you have strong enough bubbles any skimmer will just be overwhelmed and can flood unless you have a really big one. Even those with drains can be overwhelmed in my experience.

tankslave
02/02/2006, 05:47 PM
yup, that's what floss will do!
The CPR Bak Pak is a good one and usually runs for $129. Unless you have a sump, then get something more professional like an Aqua-C

sparky353
02/02/2006, 05:57 PM
I had good luck with my prizm,but I had my skimmer cup to close to the lighting system and the cup cracked and with many trys to locate one(red sea co. local pet store)I have'nt been able to get an replacement.you may want to make sure that replacement parts can be had for what ever model you deside on.

tankslave
02/02/2006, 06:03 PM
heh, that's one thing that you almost never get at the LFS, ironically enough, the skimmer. I dont know of one good LFS around here that has the GOOD ones. You might find a CPR or an Aqua-C, but good luck...

todd2000
02/02/2006, 06:08 PM
physicslord, sorry I wasn't jumping all over you, im just getting annoyed at this whole thing. I never expected to have so much trouble with a skimmer, this things even goes crazy when I feed (only certain foods). I was used to my old prizm which didn't care about water changes, water level, food, changing filter floss etc... It never overflowed once. Anyway I'll play around with it a little B4 I give up :)

crny1 I have PMed you.

jmack
02/02/2006, 06:17 PM
before you give up on the css..call their technical support. They are really good about answering questions...the phone number should be in your manual...i think it's energy savers.

physicslord
02/02/2006, 06:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6652108#post6652108 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by todd2000
. I was used to my old prizm which didn't care about water changes, water level, food, changing filter floss etc...

Honestly, it probably wasn't skimming that well then.

tytus
02/02/2006, 07:16 PM
oh wow! I JUST registered to see if I could find any info on this site about Coralife 125gal SuperSkimmers.
My good ole hubby's Prizm skimmer finally died and he Just put up this New Coralife LAST NIGHT and Just left for a weekend conference in vienna! Now, I'm in charge of his tank while it's just breaking in.
I just want to know if it's normal to be spilling out so many micro-bubbles from the bubble-production diffuser box? The anemone and clarkii residing in the corner below the box appear annoyed. It just makes the water in the tank all fizzy-looking. Is there anything I can adjust?
p.s. Does anyone else experience floods with this skimmer???

todd2000
02/02/2006, 07:46 PM
tytus, I replaced the white pad in the bottom the the box with a sponge insert from an Aquaclear 70 Power filter (just trim it a little length ways and it's a perfect fit.), I put a little filter floss on top of that(very thin layer) and then the black sponge that came with it, make sure to keep the black spong above the top of the difusser box, and the output hose above the water line. just trim it a little length ways and it's a perfect fit.

todd2000
02/02/2006, 07:50 PM
I also replaced the flexable output hose with some PVC heres a pic

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/todd2000/skimmer3.jpg

Thats 1" PVC fits in the nicely, I put a little hot glue around the joints to keep them from leaking, It worked well, and is less permenant than cdment shoudl I want to remove the pipe from the skimmer. Just make sure to drill a vent hole in the PVC where the there was one in the stock tube.

jmack
02/02/2006, 08:23 PM
Replacing the pad helps a lot..also the height of the diffuser box should be slightly above the water line. The pump should be close to the waterline but submerged. I had to cut the hose kind of short also.

The skimmer can flood once in a while..I just had it overflow when I dialed it down to change the cup. When I readjusted it I dialed it up a little higher than usual and it pumped some water into the cup. I think the level of bubbles is deceiving when you first dial it up after a cleaning. It takes awhile for all the foam to start rising so the level you start with isn't going to be the level you end up with. Don't adjust it and leave the room...keep an eye on it for an hour or so to make sure it's not going to pump water.

brian3
02/02/2006, 08:29 PM
"you can get a Prizm Pro Deluxe Up to 300 Gal. Hang-On with pump for $180.00"

then throw it away a month later - absolute junk. EuroReef works great for me.

rjwilson37
02/02/2006, 09:34 PM
That should tell you that the prizm doesn't work very well, and that your current skimmer does work well by what happens when you make a disturbance to the tank. I am not familiar with your skimmer as far as adjusting how much you want it to skim, but mine has an adjustment on whether I want a thicker skim, or a wetter skim. The wetter skim will pull out a lot of stuff, where a thicker skim pulls out the nasties, but not as much and doesn't fill the cup as quickly.

I think you just need to get use to your skimmer and learn how to dial it in as to what you want as well as there being a break in period. How long have you had this current skimmer and what do the intructions say on how to adjust it to skim wet or thick.

rjwilson37
02/02/2006, 09:39 PM
We would sure love to see some pictures of your tank, and don't give up... Saltwater is so much more rewarding than freshwater.

I started doing saltwater over 3 years ago, and I don't think I will ever do a freshwater tank again. You can go to my website on the red house above and see my first 29g tank, then the move to the 55g tank and now my current 90g tank. I just love this stuff.

todd2000
02/02/2006, 11:06 PM
My friend just tested his slightly overstocked 55G that he is using a Prizm on for 3 years and Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates are all 0. Im leaning to believe that some of the bad stuff I read are exagerated, and Im considering one. I know the bad reviews, but it's got a lot going for it, no honking pump, and bubble diffusier in the tank, just a little intake tube. And his seems to work great. I've seen the gunk it pulls out. I really don't know what to believe.

todd2000
02/02/2006, 11:37 PM
After looking around, I think I might go with a Remora. It's not just the flooding that is bothering me but the HUGE pump/Bubble diffusier. The remora is a little cleaner looking. Dispite hearing a few bad things about it, It should be better then a Prizm, anyone have a Remora regular not pro, any comments?

todd2000
02/02/2006, 11:47 PM
A question comes to mind, with the remora I notice you move the collection cup up and down to adjust the skimate, does this mean that every time I empty the cup I have to re-adjust th skimmer? Are there settings that the cup kind of clicks into cause that would make it eaiser?

rjwilson37
02/03/2006, 08:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6654564#post6654564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by todd2000
My friend just tested his slightly overstocked 55G that he is using a Prizm on for 3 years and Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates are all 0. Im leaning to believe that some of the bad stuff I read are exagerated, and Im considering one. I know the bad reviews, but it's got a lot going for it, no honking pump, and bubble diffusier in the tank, just a little intake tube. And his seems to work great. I've seen the gunk it pulls out. I really don't know what to believe. What kind of corals is your buddy keeping, SPS type Acropora, or some of the more sensitive corals. I think most of us just go with the majority ruling kind of thinking, maybe it is just poor quality where for every 1 or 2 good working prizm skimmers there are 8 bad ones. I had a Seaclone 100 HOB skimmer on my old 29g and it worked very well for me, but I had a hard time keeping SPS type corals as well as some LPS type corals maybe because it didn't skim good enough. I have a Euroreef skimmer now and have a lot of SPS and LPS type corals that our flourishing nicely.

jimmy n
02/03/2006, 09:39 AM
If you want a skimmmer that never floods, look into lifereef skimmers.

They have a self cleaning venturi that also acts as overflow protection. If the cup fills to the top, the skimmate will be sucked back in via the SCV.

todd2000
02/03/2006, 09:42 AM
He only has one coral, some polyps. he never really got into corals, but I assume if his parameters are good then they would be fine. Either way Im leaning toward the remora, but im not sure.

RichConley
02/03/2006, 09:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6654564#post6654564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by todd2000
My friend just tested his slightly overstocked 55G that he is using a Prizm on for 3 years and Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates are all 0. Im leaning to believe that some of the bad stuff I read are exagerated, and Im considering one. I know the bad reviews, but it's got a lot going for it, no honking pump, and bubble diffusier in the tank, just a little intake tube. And his seems to work great. I've seen the gunk it pulls out. I really don't know what to believe.

Does he have any algae?

Testing nitrates in a reef is a joke. Theyre always 0. Look and see if he has any algae.

DOnt waste your money on a REmora/BakPak,etc. Get a good skimmer. You can get a Remora for what? 175? A turboflotor will cost you 200, and destroy the remora.

Dont go cheap here, buy a real skimmer.

BTTRFLYGRL
02/03/2006, 10:17 AM
I don't know if this was already suggested but , I have a Coralife 125 on my 90..It has overflowed a couple of times . If you look at your collection cup, on the botton you'll see a small drain with a plug in it. Take the plug out and take some tubing and run it from the drain hole to a bucket under your tank. I did this for piece of mind, It has never overflown my 5 gallon bucket ;)

rjwilson37
02/03/2006, 10:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6656546#post6656546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Does he have any algae?

Testing nitrates in a reef is a joke. Theyre always 0. Look and see if he has any algae.

DOnt waste your money on a REmora/BakPak,etc. Get a good skimmer. You can get a Remora for what? 175? A turboflotor will cost you 200, and destroy the remora.

Dont go cheap here, buy a real skimmer. My nitrates were at 40ppm and I have them down to 20ppm now since I got rid of my Eel a week ago. If I never checked my nitrates they could be in upward of 100ppm and I would still have my Eel. I could even be coming close to a Tank Crash if I never checked my nitrates, so testing nitrates is not a joke in my book.

This new reefer is already talking about giving up, we don't want to scare him off by saying you need to buy the best and spend all this money that he doesn't want to spend. The company that makes the Prizm skimmers is still in business, so they have to be working, it depends on what you want to try or do with your tanks on what you need. His buddy only has one soft coral and the prizm skimmer is working great for him, I mean it is a simple 55g setup and it is working.

todd2000: Just take your time and do the reasearch like your already doing, your going to get lots of opinions as there are a lot ways to setup a reef tank. Everyone has there own way and there own experiences, maybe you don't need to buy a new skimmer, just unplug that hole at the bottom of the skimmer cup and put a tube down to a bucket for a while and see if this is working for you. I have read a lot of good things about the coralife skimmer and there are a lot of people happy with them for a HOB skimmer.

Good Luck! and Remember, it is up to you to decide what makes sense for you, we are just giving you some options and opinions. There are a million ways to do things in this hobby, just pick what makes sense and works best for you.

todd2000
02/03/2006, 12:05 PM
Yes he has some algae, but what may I ask is a skimmer going to pull out that would help with the algae if all the Parameters are 0, as far as I knew skimmers can't pull out phosphate, silica, or whatever else algae feeds on besides nitrates.

todd2000
02/03/2006, 12:19 PM
Thought I would post a pic of the tank since someonw asked B4, It's not much yet but...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/todd2000/tank.jpg

So thats the tank causing all my headaches :)

rjwilson37
02/03/2006, 12:44 PM
Looks Great, no need to get rid of that.. Your just getting started and it is going to be great. What kind of fish are you going to get and how long before you start adding them?

Somewhere down the road on the right side, you can get a Seio 820gph/or a 1100gph Superflow pump for some good water movement, then you will be set.

rustybucket145
02/03/2006, 01:54 PM
I was having trouble with my skimmer overflowing and I went to the LFS and spent $0.59 on a sensitive adjustable air valve for the skimmer adjustment. Now it works GREAT. I can fine tune it to do exactly what I want it to!! Skimmate stays constant and no longer flips out and starts pouring out water. I would suggest trying this before jumping the gun and buying a new skimmer.

The Reefer91
02/03/2006, 02:15 PM
i have a question for Physicslord. if changing filter floss is a problem, couldn't you just rinse out or soak the new one before you use it? and when adding water, you could just add to the sump

RichConley
02/03/2006, 02:40 PM
If you've got a snowflake eel, its not really a reeftank.

I'm not saying he needs to buy the most expensive skimmer.

What I'm saying is the prizm and remora are about $20 less than a bunch of nice skimmers, and performance-wise are VASTLY inferior.

RichConley
02/03/2006, 02:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6657564#post6657564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by todd2000
Thought I would post a pic of the tank since someonw asked B4, It's not much yet but...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/todd2000/tank.jpg

So thats the tank causing all my headaches :)

Thats some nice lookin rock.

As far as skimmers pulling out phosphate, skimmers pull out detritus in the water column, and theres plenty of phosphate in that.

My point was that 0 nitrates dont really tell you too much. If you're talking FO, yeah, its fine, but if you're talking LPS/SPS, it doesnt mean anything. I wasnt clear on that.

rjwilson37
02/03/2006, 03:10 PM
I had a Snowflake Eel in here until recently, and I definatley call this a reef tank. I had also at one time thought it wasn't a reef tank without an Eel, as most reef's or maybe even all the reef's in the world have Eels.

http://rjwilson41.com/docs/aquarium/90g/20060129aquarium.jpg

http://rjwilson41.com/docs/aquarium/90g/inhabitants/snowflake122305.jpg

CaptiveReef
02/03/2006, 03:34 PM
todd2000,

Here is a skimmer design I came up with, you can make it any height and also a hang on model. Simply hang the skimmer by the two tee elbows. Here is some pics 1st one showing the 2 spots to hang from and one is the complete skimmer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/CaptiveReef/Januaryskimmerpics006.jpg
In this pic you can hang the skimmer on both elbows.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/CaptiveReef/Januaryskimmerpics007.jpg
The design is self leveling and will not overflow.

CaptiveReef:D

RichConley
02/03/2006, 04:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6658867#post6658867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rjwilson37
I had a Snowflake Eel in here until recently, and I definatley call this a reef tank. I had also at one time thought it wasn't a reef tank without an Eel, as most reef's or maybe even all the reef's in the world have Eels.

http://rjwilson41.com/docs/aquarium/90g/20060129aquarium.jpg

http://rjwilson41.com/docs/aquarium/90g/inhabitants/snowflake122305.jpg

Wow. Very nice.

How'd you manage to keep a cleanup crew with that beastie.

todd2000
02/03/2006, 04:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6658259#post6658259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
I was having trouble with my skimmer overflowing and I went to the LFS and spent $0.59 on a sensitive adjustable air valve for the skimmer adjustment. Now it works GREAT. I can fine tune it to do exactly what I want it to!! Skimmate stays constant and no longer flips out and starts pouring out water. I would suggest trying this before jumping the gun and buying a new skimmer.

So you just put the valve on the air hose coming from the pump? And then turn the red control knob all the way open, and use the air valve to control the bubbles?

todd2000
02/03/2006, 04:07 PM
P.S. rjwilson37 there is already one Ocellerious Clown in there you can barely see him all the way to the right in that picture

todd2000
02/03/2006, 05:04 PM
I sent an e-mail to AquaC and this was their response "Another thing that some customers do is to purchase the Remora with drain along with a regular cup, which won't overflow (excess skimmate will simply spill down the center tube back into the skimmer)" Im liking that sentence :). Im still not sure though, do you think that if I get my CSS workin well that it is better or worse then a Remora?

rjwilson37
02/03/2006, 05:25 PM
I think most are liking the CSS there todd2000 and it is pretty comparable to the Remora's as far as a HOB skimmer from what I have been hearing.

RichConley: I kept that Eel well fed to keep his mind off of my fish and inverts, I even have 2 emerald crabs and 2 cleaner shrimp. That was the problem though... when he was 10-12" he would eat like 3-4 krill every other day, at 16-18" after having him for over 2 years, he was eating 7-10 krill every other day and looking for more. This was contributing to my Nitrate problem, as well as PH with that high bioload and it was just a matter of time before he was looking elsewhere for food besides what I was feeding him.

sarahdae
02/03/2006, 05:37 PM
My remora, when it goes nuts, it does not flood because the water just flows back into the tube/foam neck....I don't understand the flooding issue, does not seem to be a problem unless you hook up some sort of external drain tube. I thought the CSS would just drain back into the foam neck as well. It seems natural to design the skimmer so excess water is self-contained, like the remora, should it decide to go nuts.

physicslord
02/03/2006, 06:33 PM
You don't want the skimmer tea to drain back into the neck though.

If there's some way for skimmate to get back into the tank it will be highly toxic because it is so concentrated.

todd2000
02/03/2006, 06:53 PM
well if it started going nuts to the point of overflowing it would be mostly fresh water anyway, I usually clean the collection cup out every day, so it would only be a little skimmate and mostly fresh water, either way Im not going to let it do it on purpose, but if It happens it is noce to know it won't flood, my aunt is getting annoyed at me cause of the flooding, not to mention the electrical fire :)

todd2000
02/03/2006, 07:33 PM
Well I think I've finally made up my mind, im gonna go with a Remora for a few reasons.
1. It can't overflow
2. There is only 1 Maxijet-1200 in my tank isted of 1 Huge unbranded pump, and bubble diffuser with my CSS
3. Im hoping there will be less micro bubbles then with my CSS, which is broken in (has been running for about a month now), and still shoots micro bubbles into the tank.
4. Im sure it is a better choice then the Prizm

rjwilson37
02/03/2006, 08:37 PM
Make sure you get the Remora with the Maxijet pump, it is rated better than the Rio it can come with.

todd2000
02/03/2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah I would never buy a Rio after all i hear about them :)

todd2000
02/03/2006, 11:00 PM
^

aquaman67
02/03/2006, 11:10 PM
If you get your Remora from www.marinedepot.com you can get a drain for the collection cup for $16.

I have mine hooked to a gallon jug. I've never had to use it, but I like having it just in case.

todd2000
02/03/2006, 11:21 PM
Thats a good idea, but if I know me and I have it hooked up to a jug I'll never check the jug (as they say out of sight out of mind) If im staring at the collection cup every day, I'll be forced to clean it :), and If I decide I want one at a later date Im sure I could order one from AquaC

tkeracer619
02/03/2006, 11:28 PM
I didnt like my css at fist but once i did the gate valve it made a big diggerence. When I added a silencer to the air hose it made an even bigger difference. Is it level. I dont understand how it overflows. I have left mine for two days going crazy and most of the water just flowed back down the neck. Also the bubles column wont work right if its not level.

After the gate mod and restricting the air input a bit the skimmer produces awsome skimmate. The dry bubbles will reach the bottom of the cup before poping. When i stir the sand or blow off the rocks after about 2 hours you see a ring of the bubbles that are really dark. Try these mods before you spend your hard earned money. Its only 4-5 bucks. It's worth your time.

tkeracer619
02/03/2006, 11:31 PM
I agree with not using the drain. Plus if it does go crazy it can drain your tank or make it a fw tank if you have auto top off.

Also I found my skimmer worked much better with the water inlet about 2 inches under the surface.

todd2000
02/03/2006, 11:35 PM
Mine has a silencer on the air tube already, came with one, and as far as the gate valve Im not too handy, don't know what your talking about exactally.

todd2000
02/03/2006, 11:35 PM
Unless by silencer you mean a valve to restrict the air flow like someone mentioned above

todd2000
02/03/2006, 11:39 PM
It just seems to me that you shouldn't have to modify things you buy to make them work right, and the overflow is not the only reason I wan't to replace it, pump/bubble difusser are huge, and still spitting a bunch of Micro bubbles into the tank. I might try the mod if not too complicated post some pics and directiosn if ya can

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 12:08 AM
ask and you shall recieve but I must warn you this is a big thread. 3 splits. CSS Skimmer Thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=563298&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)

Any and everything you ever need to know about this skimmer is there.

The gate vavle is really easy. you already have pvc on the skimmer just whack the pvc in half somewere and add am an all plastic gate valve (this is a valve with an adjustment similar to your garden hose) Makes small incriments super easy.

The silencor is like a little muffler that quites the slurping sound. i think yours came with one. A little plastic pee sized thing on the end of the air line.

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 12:11 AM
hey hey hey

i found a big problem

Your pvc piping is wrong there needs to be a vent somewere along the top of it. I cant see one is there one. If there is no vent its going to make things pretty skrewy and youll never get it right. The stock hose has one but its tiny. when you add the gate valve put a t section in also i used a 1 x 1 x 3/4" t fitting and left the open 3/4" hole facing upwards.

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 12:12 AM
O yeah skimmers are one of those things that you are gonna modify anyways. Most people even using more expensive skimmers do the exact same mods that I have reccomended.

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 12:15 AM
one last post..... cut the tubing for the pump shorter to raise the pump higher in the tank. about 1.5-2 inches is good. I cant tell but it looks like 3-4 inches right now.

Do these steps and your surely to have better results.

todd2000
02/04/2006, 12:35 AM
I have read that whole thread and it doen't explain exactlly how to do the gate valve, mabye I'll check out the hardware store and see what I can find, I have cut the tube as short as I possible can and the pump is about 3in below the water I can't make it any higher, and yes I have a vent hole in the PVC you can't see it in the picture

todd2000
02/04/2006, 12:41 AM
Also what exactally would adding a valve to the output do? If you block the flow of the output with a valve, won't it just cause the skimmer to overflow

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 12:48 AM
you dont use the combersome red knob anymore.

When you set the water level its is incredibly easy to make an adjustment to get the water level just right.

todd2000
02/04/2006, 12:48 AM
I think I understand how to do the gate valve now but I don't quite understand what it will do.

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 12:51 AM
is the vent on the last elbow where the water enters the bubble diffuser. You might want to add a large vent closer to the skimmer. The larger the better.

I couldnt get my skimmer to stay sane untill i changed the restriction in the air tube. Before it would fluctuate pretty harshly and would either fill the cup in an hour or in 4 days.

todd2000
02/04/2006, 12:56 AM
So I would set the stock red knob all the way open and use the gate valve to control the water level?

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 12:58 AM
yup

todd2000
02/04/2006, 12:58 AM
yeah the vent it at the end, I will add one closer to the skimmer

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 01:01 AM
I have had this skimmer running for a few weeks and am no longer scared of the crazyness. I cant make it overflow, i never turn it off unless im cleaning the cup. waterchanges, feeding, stirring the sand it jsut foams away.

How long has it been running?

todd2000
02/04/2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks, I guess I'll hit up Lowes tommorrow and try the gate valve before I give up, it only a few bucks.

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 01:07 AM
np. stick with it. Its a good skimmer and its already paid for.

todd2000
02/04/2006, 01:08 AM
Has been running for about 2 weeks, it seems to have started going nuts after I added the fish and started feeding it ran fine on the tank with just live rock, and pulled out some nice skimmate, but as soon as I added the fish and started feeding him is when it started to get spastik, I've had it unplugged all day today cause I don't trust it, and can't watch it 24/7. I'll give it another chance, but if It still acts crazy, then Remora it is. Thanks for all the help, I'll post tommorrow and let ya know how it goes.

todd2000
02/04/2006, 01:09 AM
PS how far up the neck do you have your bubbles?

todd2000
02/04/2006, 01:15 AM
Also what do you mean "Changed the restriction in the air tube"?

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 01:22 AM
get a little air valve from the pet store that allows you to adjust the amount of air entering the needlewheel pump. Its sorta like this. If a racing boat prop sits under the water too much it wont get enough air and wont operate properly. If its too high out of the water and gets to much air the motor will overrev and the boat wont go anywere. When the prop is the right level in the water and the right amount of air the boat goes fast. The air valve lets you get the right amount of air into the needlewheel for the amount of water it flows.

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 01:26 AM
this also reduces changing levels of water inside the skimmer because there is less surging due to too much air.

todd2000
02/04/2006, 07:33 AM
Im a little confused on the air valve, wouldn't restricting the air create less bubbles, and therfore reduce performance, I was under the impression that the more bubles the better? Either way let me get this straight, I should replace the stock adjustment knob with a gate valve, and add a valve to the air tubing? So I set the stock red knob all the way open and use the gate valve to control it insted, and use the air valve to reduce the amount of air a little if the skimmer is still acting crazy?

todd2000
02/04/2006, 07:40 AM
Also reading your boat analagy are you saying that my pump is gettong too much air, even though it's 3in below the surface insted of 2, and I also recall someone in that 40+ page post adding an air valve, and it didn't do much, but I'll try the gate valve first, and then the air valve if I need to. Sorry I ask a lot of questions :) Of course the fact that im reading this at 8AM doesn't help much :)

rjwilson37
02/04/2006, 10:23 AM
Basically with a valve on there and all the way open you get to much air, and with the valve closed all the way you don't get any air. With the valve on there, you can adjust the amount of air to a perfect level of effectiveness for your skimmer to work efficiently.

rjwilson37
02/04/2006, 10:28 AM
Here is a picture of my first skimmer on my first saltwater tank ever. It is a seaclone HOB skimmer, not a really good skimmer, but it did work pretty well for me.

You can see the air tube on the left of the black slide for water to go back into the tank. At the top of the air tube is a plastic screw valve to adjust the air ration you want in, I use to close it all the way and then open it a turn and a half to get a good skimmate and not to wet. This is similar to what your going to do, you going to put a little screw adjusting valve on your's to adjust the air allowed in to get the perfect skimmate for your skimmer.

http://rjwilson41.com/docs/aquarium/29g/day1skimmer.jpg

rjwilson37
02/04/2006, 10:34 AM
In this picture you can see where my air tube went into my pump, right where it pulls water in from the tank. As my pump pulled water through and the screw open all the way, this would suck tons of air and cause way to many bubbles. With it closed all the way then reopened a turn and a half, it produced the right amount of bubbles to get a good skimmate.

http://rjwilson41.com/docs/aquarium/29g/20040421aquarium.jpg

rjwilson37
02/04/2006, 10:37 AM
Here is this picture, you can see a better picture of the valve. That little plastic handle at the top is what screwed in to adjust the amount of air I wanted to let in.

http://rjwilson41.com/docs/aquarium/29g/20031205aquarium.jpg

todd2000
02/04/2006, 11:05 AM
Ok so I think I get it, I still need to use the stock valve, or gate valve if I add one to control the water level, and the air valve to control the amount of air. One question though for whoever suggesed the gate valve, I went to Lowes and they didn't have any plastic gate valve I got a ball valve insted, the only problem is with all this plumbing my light isn't going to fit on the tank anymore. The valve itself is 3in long, where did you get your plastic gate vale from, and is it smaller?

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 11:56 AM
a ball valve will not work. It is really hard to control the water level b/c it sticks. Take it back and order one from here if you cant find a hardware store with one.
gate valves (http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=1)

I cant find the site i ordered mine from. They do get cheaper i paid about 8 bucks with shipping. Check in the DIY parts suppliers for a cheaper version but this is the one you need.

I found the one i baught on a thread titled cheapest place to buy gate valves. I searched for about15 minutes and cannot find the link sorry.

If you are not having a problem with the level adjustment just that the skimmer is going nuts then you might just try the air restriction mod first since its easier and you wont have to redo your piping just yet (other than another vent)

todd2000
02/04/2006, 01:57 PM
Well I just re-did the PVC output, the way I had it with the elbows it was causing some backflow, I added a T, and left the top open for venting, and since the stock bubble diffuser wouldn't fit because the pump was in the way I made a new one out of a plastic toothbrush/soap... holder from wal-mart with some filter floss for now, will get a spong later. It seems to be working good so far, I am gonna have to try to find that air valve, the LFS by me sucks, so I will have to drive an hour to a good store.

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 05:18 PM
walmart should have one. Your lfs doesnt have an air valve. they really do suck. paypal me a few bucks and I will mail you one. I can throw a rock at petco.

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 05:19 PM
its good you are getting better results. I use the t for a vent and it works so much better than teh little hole that came stock.

tkeracer619
02/04/2006, 05:23 PM
this is the first link i found when searching for a valve. This is what you are looking for but not a 3 way. it doesnt matter if the others are closed though it will be waisted money and space.

gang valve (http://www.nationalpetpharmacy.com/store/product1.asp?pf_id=80434604&affiliateCode=PFNPP01&cm_ven=Performics&cm_cat=Yahoo%20Search%20Submit%20%28SMX%29&cm_ite=DDI%20Link)

rjwilson37
02/04/2006, 05:44 PM
I got this from Walmart. I use these type of valves for dripping a kalwasser mix from a bottle down into my return area. I can adjust it to a slow drip or a fast flow to rinse it out.

Is this what he should be looking for.

http://rjwilson41.com/docs/aquarium/55g/topoffline.jpg

todd2000
02/04/2006, 06:21 PM
rjwilson37, that looks like it might work where in Wal-Mart did you find it? With the pet stuff (cause I didn't see anything) Or was it in the Hardware sction somewhere?

todd2000
02/04/2006, 06:26 PM
Found one http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F01DX/Class/Fish+Supplies+Air+Pump+Valves/T1/F01DX+0504+0105/EDP/31575/Itemdy00.aspx I just wish I could find it local, It seems silly to ship a $.89 part :), Mabye I'll take a drive to "The Big City" tommorrow. LOL, I live in the middle of nowhere in VA :)

todd2000
02/04/2006, 06:31 PM
Would one like this be a little higher quality http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=8017&N=2004+113403 I dont minde spending the 5.99

rjwilson37
02/04/2006, 07:24 PM
Yep, I got it in the pet section with the airline tubing and such for fish stuff. It came in a package with like 2 or 3 in the package and then I just picked up a package of the blue tubing there as well. All in all, I think it was $3 for everything and I have been using the same one for 2 years now, so the quality is fine on the cheapy blue one.

todd2000
02/04/2006, 10:30 PM
Well anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the micro bubbles? I can't use the stock bubble diffuser because the pump is in the way, and I tried to rig one up but it's not working very well. Im really getting annoyed at this thing :(. I should have just gotten the Remora when I started this tank like I was going to.