PDA

View Full Version : CSL PC ballast replacement

mjw357
02/02/2006, 05:29 PM
I have a CSL power compact fixture over my 220 FO tank. It contains two 96w lamps. A few days ago one lamp went out, I figured it's burnt out so I ordered two replacement lamps. I pull the old ones out, before I installed the new ones, I checked across the pins of the 'bad' bulb. It tested good. I put the bulbs in, and sure enough, the same side remains unlit.

I plan on taking it down tonight and doing a little troubleshooting. Anyone familiar with these? Does it have one ballast or two? What is a recommended replacement? Fulham?

Thanks; Mike

FEEDERFISH
02/02/2006, 05:42 PM
I also had to replace my CSL ballast but mine was a 2-55W fixture i used a workhorse 5 and it worked great, my lights had a higher light output, thats what i noticed visually, here is the site i ordered from you will have to look into the workhorse 7 that handles up to 220 watts, the ballast should come with wiring directions, its very easy to swap out, before you take apart your other ballast make sure to draw a diagram of the wires and whats connected to what, the colors might be the only difference on a new ballast

http://www.prolighting.com/woba.html

mjw357
02/02/2006, 07:28 PM
Opened it up, has two Workhorse 5 ballasts in it. Looks like one is dead. I didn't like the looks of one of the sockets and swapped the wiring around, the socket is OK. Double checked connections.

So, replace the one Workhorse 5, or get a WH 7 to run both?

Another thing I noticed with these PC lamp sockets, only two of the pins are wired up? How in the hell does that work?

Just looked up Fulham web site for the recommended wiring diagram; totally different from how the fixture is wired. The mystery deepens.

FEEDERFISH
02/03/2006, 11:23 PM
Go ahead and just get a workhorse 5. A 7 might be to long for the case, I would have to look at the wiring, I would follow what fulham has as a wiring diagram

mjw357
02/04/2006, 09:48 AM
I went ahead and ordered a WH5 from Prolighting. They do have good prices, some places want double.

I opened up the ballast itself, hoping to spot the faulty component. Of course the whole thing is potted in black goo.