PDA

View Full Version : Sump Plan for 72g FOWLR Comments Please

atoz1to4
02/02/2006, 08:04 PM
I have come up with a plan based on Melevs Model I that I have revised to add some filtration in the first chamber and then a few baffles between the protein skimmer and the sump. The reason I am looking at a 2 peice sump is I can get a lot more volume under my stand than a one peice and access to the protein skimmer will be easier. My plan is to use 1/4" acrylic. Any comments or suggestions??

Thanks Charlie
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/585/99982SumpAssy2.JPG

Spuds725
02/02/2006, 09:01 PM
if that is to scale, then I think the return section is kind of small--- it won't be a problem unless your skimmer section gets real low (below the level of that last baffle next to the pump section)-- What is the volume between your high and low levels (in gallons)-- this probably won't be an issue if you can run an auto top off.

Is there any way you can put the skimmer in the first section???

THen you could have a fuge in the skimmer section.......

Also, since that is a 72 (an odball size) is it a bowfront?? If so, make sure you test fit the big sump section-- I had an AGA 72 bow and it was tough to get stuff into it (plenty of room, but rigid things like sumps are tough to fit in throught the doors. Bow front stands suck-- best to pull them way out from the wall and enclose the sides to hide stuff-- give yourself more room behind the tank.

//edit//

Also, what flow do you plan on running... Mag 7 can put out a fair amount unless you are running it through a SCWD... According to Melevs site he recommends 3 to 5x tank volume per hour for sump/tank exchange--- higher flow can cause micro bubble problems and you pay more for circulation (power wise) by using a return pump for circulation as opposed to a powerhead or stream pump (Seio or Tunze) in the tank.

atoz1to4
02/02/2006, 10:24 PM
Spuds725

The high and low level is ~7g and ~14g. These lines are a rough estimate along with the baffle heights until I calculate my overflow of the tank as to avoid overfilling the sump and then disaster. The return can be widened some since I can probably move the skimmer some. Some of my drawing is a guess because I don't have final sizes on the skimmer. I will purchase the skimmer before I make my sump. Per some reading I am assuming 600 gph I got this number using the calculators. I may be off on this though. Any suggestions for flow would be appreciated.

I will see if I can rearrange things to get the skimmer in the first section the problem I have there is the height of the skimmer. I only have ~25" of height in my stand. As far as my stand I built it myself I will try and post some pics tomorrow night. But the short story I bought the tank 2-1/2 years ago, finished the stand last summer and been spending too much time at work. In all this time I have been following RC and my original plan has changed quite a bit and in hind site I would have made my stand taller and a little more deeper.

Thanks for the comments

Spuds725
02/03/2006, 02:56 AM
7 gallon fluctuation is pretty good (shouldn't cause problems)-- I evaporate about 2 gallons per day on my 135 with 20 in my sump....I lost about 1 gallon per day when I was running my 72 with about 12 gallons in my sump... I ran a very small return section (had to add back every day)---

I personally run very slow flow through my sump (I'm at the low extreme you will likely here of)... I run about 200 GPH (probably less)... I like this in that its quieter, I have no microbubble problem at all (I don't have any baffles)-- just a 40 gallon sump about 1/2 full with my recirculating skimmer (direct fed by tank water) in it--- I only use about 1/2 my sump flow to feed my skimmer (recirculating skimmers don't need as much flow).

I have a bucket DSB set up on a loop off my sump-- pumps to the bucket and it gravity drains back-- I plan on adding 2 fuges eventually (one in my stand, one beside and slightly above the tank)

I'm sure others will comment on your setup too....

IMO there is no one way to do things in this hobby...