PDA

View Full Version : Can I fix this impellar?

10" Red Devil
02/02/2006, 08:34 PM
Well I got a raw deal. Bought a used ASM G-1 skimmer w/ Sedra 2500 pump. I know why they wanted to sell it take a look at this:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/95606Impel.jpg

Can I fix this somehow?

It will take $40 to replace it and 2 weeks to get it in if I decide to fork over the cash. Seems like a lot for a stupid impellar.

Thanks.

orlenz
02/02/2006, 08:46 PM
you can chuck it up in a drill press, or lathe, spin it fast and clean it up with a file, I've had to do that with one. you may also need to hone out the hole it goes into.

10" Red Devil
02/02/2006, 08:58 PM
orlenz,

Thanks, the only prob is that I dont have access to one of those. Dont work in a shop, live in an apartment and have minmal tools.

Would a Dremel with the right attachment do the same thing?

Thanks.

easttn
02/02/2006, 09:06 PM
Dude,

Don't quote me on this, but I think the diameter of the impellor magnet is pretty critical wrt the the hole it fits into. The gap between the motor housing and the impeller needs to be a close fit. Not sure. If it works please repost.

abfleck
02/02/2006, 09:34 PM
Buy a new one.......they are relatively cheap

dhnguyen
02/03/2006, 12:13 AM
I second the buying a new one. Not worth the risk of ruining the entire pump. If for some reason your impeler stops spinning, eventually it may burn up the pump's motor. THEN it will be a lot more expensive to replace than just the impeller.

D.

dhnguyen
02/03/2006, 12:18 AM
And yes the impeller is not THAT expensive

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandsubcategory.asp?brandID=KS&subcatID=wp-ksparts

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/searchhomekeyresult.asp?descriptionlong=PS-SM2500-RIMP&Submit3=GO

$22.99 aint too bad

10" Red Devil
02/03/2006, 12:42 AM
Well its not just the impellar it is also the needle wheel for $40. Unless I try to disconnect the one on the old magnet and connect it to the new one.

dhnguyen
02/03/2006, 12:47 AM
Dude... Read that link I sent you again. It's the impeller assembly AND needle wheel for $22.99

This one specifically

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/searchhomekeyresult.asp?descriptionlong=PS-SM2500-RIMP&Submit3=GO

10" Red Devil
02/03/2006, 08:47 AM
dhnguyen,

Sweet thanks man!

I just hope they actually have it. Have no experience with that company.

RichConley
02/03/2006, 08:49 AM
The problem wiht this whole thing is, the sedra 2500s are cheap, its the NW/Impellar thats expensive. You could replace the magnet with one from the standard impellar.

10" Red Devil
02/03/2006, 08:49 AM
P.S.

Maxi mods completely silent man! No noise whatsoever! I just had to fiddle with them and turn them around.

Also one fish, and I dont know how this happened but it swam straight into the current and hit its eye on one of the impellars. Completely blind in one eye now. It is the craziest thing. I dont think its the norm, but I thought you should know.

dhnguyen
02/03/2006, 10:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6656158#post6656158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 10" Red Devil
P.S.

Maxi mods completely silent man! No noise whatsoever! I just had to fiddle with them and turn them around.

Also one fish, and I dont know how this happened but it swam straight into the current and hit its eye on one of the impellars. Completely blind in one eye now. It is the craziest thing. I dont think its the norm, but I thought you should know.

Good I'm glad the Maxi mod is working out for you.
The fish must have been some swimmer to have swam straight into the current like that :lol: I'm glad the fish didn't make itself into seafood puree. Better blind than dead I guess.

By the way customaquatic.com is a good vendor to work with. Most people on RC have had good experience with them.

D.

10" Red Devil
02/03/2006, 03:00 PM
Well that fish that lost its eye is no more. Found it on the ouside of the intakes for the maxis. I dont attribute this to the power head though. I really feel it was being harrased when I was not arround by 1 of the 2 other fish in the tank. It was a Lubboks Wrasse and the other two fish were a flame hawk, and a Royal Gramma. My money is on the Gramma, but I never saw it actually pick on the wrasse. Anyway this was in a 20 long and all fish were normal size so now back to the drawing board.

It is sooo frustrating to research, quarantine for a month and then have a fish do the exact opposite of what it is supposed to.

dhnguyen
02/03/2006, 03:08 PM
yeah I had a gramma once. First night in my tank, he chased away both my clowns and proceeded to beat the crap out of my blennies and dragonet. He went back to the LFS the next day.

D.

10" Red Devil
02/04/2006, 10:20 PM
Its funny, because he seems like a model citizen, I have never once seen him do anything illegal. Although sometimes he looks at me with that look. I have heard that the variety with the stripe in the eye are quite agressive. Was yours that variety? Mine is. But then again my Flame hawk seems kinda shady too. Who knows one of these days, Im going to have to buckle down and just watch the tank.

dhnguyen
02/04/2006, 10:23 PM
...the variety with the stripe in the eye are quite agressive...

Yep that's the one I had