PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a UV Sterilizer??

i_am_blokeman
02/03/2006, 06:11 AM
Hi All!
Got another question for dumb or not Can I UV Sterilzer be used on a reef setup when you run only a protein skimmer and live rock. And if so how is it setup and what brand and wattage to use if the tank volume is between 300-350 litres. I would appreciate any and all your advice.

Cheers
Kim

eckrynock
02/03/2006, 09:11 AM
I'm not a big fan of UV sterilizers on reef tanks. Reefs are much more diverse than FOWLR tanks. You will be killing live phytoplankton (fish and coral food) and good bacteria right along with the bad. Better to have a strict 4 week quarantine with initial FW/Meth. blue dip for incoming tank mates than "waste" money on a sterilizer. My $.02

Check out here http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pondsubwebindex/pduvs.htm for more pros and cons and how to set one up if you choose to do so. I would get ozone before UV. UV bulbs are expensive and need to be replaced regularly.

rob352
02/03/2006, 09:16 AM
I Use A Uv On My Reef And Love It

Horace
02/03/2006, 09:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6656342#post6656342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rob352
I Use A Uv On My Reef And Love It

May I ask what exactly it is that you love? A UV does pretty much nothing that you can verify visually, so if its just healthy fish, I dont think you can say its because of the UV.

I agree with the above. UV can be useful when used correctly, and only when needed, but if ran all the time can cause more harm to the reef environment than good. Personally I think they are a big waste of money and if you got money to burn, burn it on something a bit more useful. Perhaps something to help automate your maintenance or something.