ID This shrimp please ?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/510/112839Shrimp4.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112839pic_32.JPG

jeffbrig
02/03/2006, 10:43 AM
ghost?

Pandora
02/03/2006, 11:24 AM
Commander, I saw your other post, earlier. I didn't add to it, because I am no expert on shrimp ID... and because this one (you didn't mention in this new post thread) was collected out in the Mediterranean, and I don't think is a commonly available LFS species. I agree with the post in the other thread to try the invert forum... esp people like LeslieH, who work in natural history & taxonomy. Most people in the reef forum are most familiar with species that are common in the hobby, and there are hundreds of species of shrimp that never make it to aquariums. What part of the Mediterranean was it collected from?

Ghost shrimp (Natania sp.) are only FW as far as I know, though I agree the second resembles one.

When my peppermint was first added to the tank, it blanched in color and actually very much resembled the first pic.

Amphiprion
02/03/2006, 12:14 PM
Looks to be one of the Palaemonidae. Not terribly sure, but look up the family and see if/where yours falls under it.

CoMMaNdeR
02/03/2006, 12:34 PM
South mediterrenean. Near Italy

Can a Reefcentral Moderator post this thread into the inverts section so I don't post again there too.

Thanks alot.

Pandora
02/03/2006, 05:19 PM
Bump ^ --

Also I asked a mod to move if no good replies....

geo
02/03/2006, 05:21 PM
[moved] :wave:

LeslieH
02/03/2006, 07:52 PM
I can't do a mediterranean shrimp. This calls for Spawner who's a shrimp expert!

Snooker00
02/03/2006, 09:06 PM
It looks like it has a hump kinda like a camel shrimp? Just doesn't have the color of one. Just grasping at straws. Just thought I'd take a stab at it.

Steve

Reefcherie
02/04/2006, 07:47 AM
Sure looks a lot like the Penaeus vannamei that I buy from Seawater Express (http://www.seawaterexpress.com) to feed my frogfish.

Cheri

Pandora
02/04/2006, 09:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6663472#post6663472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefcherie
Sure looks a lot like the Penaeus vannamei that I buy from Seawater Express (http://www.seawaterexpress.com) to feed my frogfish.

Cheri

For whatever reason, Commander said in the other thread that it was definitely not white shrimp...

Does anyone have an algorithm/decision tree type thing for IDing shrimp? Similar to what is in the Peterson's field guides for entomology.

CoMMaNdeR
02/04/2006, 11:55 PM
Yes Pandora is right.

I checked some people suggestions and when I checked about the white shrimp it is totally different.

Guys the most similar that I found to my shrimps is the AMANO SHRIMP.

Please check it out and tell me if I am right.

Thanks alot.

Pandora
02/05/2006, 07:54 AM
Amanos (C. japonica) are also only FW only (plus, they don't come from that part of the world). I have some pictured in my homepage in the inverts section, if you want to look again... they are in my planted tank.

I'm not sure if there are more than one species of white shrimp, also. From what I understand, most are used as feeders for SW aquaria when young, but are species of food shrimp (for human consumption) when they grow larger.

CoMMaNdeR
02/05/2006, 11:01 AM
lol thanks for pointing that out Pandora.

They are very similar to my shrimps, but for sure they are not they because mine are salt water shrimps.

I cannot bebelive no one here can ID this shrimp.. I wish to know what are these shrimps..

romunov
02/06/2006, 01:08 PM
This group is kinda problematic and it usually takes an expert. Additionally, the identification is not based on color or general shape alone.

CoMMaNdeR
02/06/2006, 01:40 PM
So what in your opinion ROMUNOV should I say more for helping people identifiying this shrimp ?

Thanks

Pandora
02/06/2006, 02:00 PM
Personally, I think your pictures are about as clear as a layperson's photos are going to get, and you gave a location for collection. The problem isn't that.

It may come down to a certain kind of serration on one set of claws that separates out one group of shrimp from another (I don't know, I'm just guessing). It's like this in entomology, so color photos don't really help, because as romunav pointed out, it takes more than casual observation of overal color patterns and shapes. Real experts will know what to look for (which is why I was asking for the taxonomic algorithm), most of us just look and say, "hey, it sort of looks like my camel shrimp, but it doesn't look like my skunk cleaner", which doesn't really help.... there are probably hundreds of species that look similar to the clearish gray shrimp shown, most of which will never be captured for the aquarium because of their dull color. I am tagging along to this thread because I am curious myself and want to learn more about shrimp identification.

LeslieH
02/06/2006, 07:40 PM
SEnd a PM to Spawner. As I said earlier, he's a shrimp expert & a reefer. Probably the best person on the forum to answer your question.

CoMMaNdeR
02/06/2006, 11:23 PM
Guys I messaged PM to Spawner like you suggest.
Let see if he can help us.

Thanks alot

spawner
02/07/2006, 12:03 PM
Sorry, I've been writing, and writing, and writing, and yeap, writing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6679221#post6679221 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by romunov
This group is kinda problematic and it usually takes an expert. Additionally, the identification is not based on color or general shape alone.

Color can be a great way to ID shrimps, just not when they are preserved or with species that can vary coloration. Most of the species I work with we develop coloration keys or use color plates in the publications because color is such a great resource.

I don't really do much with the shore shrimps, but Cédric d'Udekem d'Acoz would know the species off hand from the photo. I'll send him an email and see if he responds. He is really busy so don't count on it.

Family is Palaemonidae. Common shore, Rock Shrimp. No really something that i would keep in my reefs. Could be Palaemon or Palaemonetes; my guess would be Palaemonetes but I can't see enough of the shrimp in your picture and I don't work with this group much. The ecology of the group is pretty much the same, both are common along rocks and shore lines, pretty much will eat anything they can.

Check Cedric's website out, be respectful to his requests on copyrights and links.

http://www.tmu.uit.no/crustikon/Decapoda/Decapoda.htm

Les, I have a few worms for you, from the Keys, how to do you want them? I did find this great fire worm 25cm long, my hand was numb to my elbow :eek: for about 6 hours. I hate those things.

andy

LeslieH
02/07/2006, 01:20 PM
Andy -- Are they live or dead? If dead, I prefer fixed in formalin & transferred to alcohol. I know shipping in alcohol is a pain so it's okay (& even legal) to ship in 5% formalin. Thanks!

I admire fireworms but I don't touch them intentionally!

spawner
02/07/2006, 01:29 PM
Their still kicking. Who said anything about intentionally. I had my hand somewhere it shouldn't have been and it sure let me know it.

Pandora
02/07/2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks Andy, and thanks for the link. Good job to Amphiron, who got the family dead on.

LeslieH
02/07/2006, 02:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6687577#post6687577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spawner
Their still kicking. Who said anything about intentionally. I had my hand somewhere it shouldn't have been and it sure let me know it.

OUCH!! I actually don't know the best way to ship live worms. Everything I ship is dead. How would a LFS do it?

And GOOD NEWS, Andy! We got the Lysmata back today. 11 lots, 3 id'ed as L. wurdemanni & 8 as L. intermedia by MK. We need to catalogue them & then they'll be in the mail.