PDA

View Full Version : ? for the tang police

overflowin
02/03/2006, 02:16 PM
i have a 30 gallon tank running right now, will be going for aboout another 2 or 3 months, and i was wanting to know how fast a small yellow tang would be comfortable in this tank? same question for a scopas....would rather have a scopas tang but i don't know if they will provide the utilitarian service of cleaning bryopsis like yellows.

also, will a yellow tang show aggerssion towards a scopas? these are the 2 tangs i would like to keep, after my 100 gallon is setup and ready.

thanks
donnie

Julio
02/03/2006, 02:58 PM
i say go for it. I am sure he will be fine as long as you dont' overcrowed the tank.

CrazyLionfish
02/03/2006, 03:50 PM
Sounds good as long as you indeed do upgrade in 2-3 months.

MiddletonMark
02/03/2006, 03:58 PM
IMO, why not wait until you have the tank up, running, and doing well?

It's not like Tangs will become unavailable in 3 months - if it's only 3 months, why not wait? What's the purpose of getting it now?

As is widely stated - nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Why the rush for the Tang?

I'd also add, there are endless stories here [at the reef club, at the LFS, etc] of `something coming up' that takes precedence over an aquarium upgrade. A health issue, a relationship, etc etc ... that uses the money you planned for the tank. IMO, wait until you have everything set up before getting the livestock.

Dan Thrash
02/03/2006, 04:03 PM
3 months is not very long. i would just wait for the new tank.

Andrew
02/03/2006, 04:49 PM
Why stress him out and have to worry about moving him in the future? Wait until you get the larger tank.

overflowin
02/03/2006, 04:58 PM
noted...but what about scopas/yellow compatibility in a 100g tank?

donnie

yoboyjdizz
02/03/2006, 07:37 PM
if added at the same time it could work but every fish is different best of luck, but like others said just wait til the 100g is up an running

JIM260
02/04/2006, 05:45 PM
Wait for the new tank. I agree with earlier comments:
1. why stress him for even 3 months
2. whats the rush
3. things come up and 3 months could turn into 12
4. why stress him by moving him again in 3 months

Sports Girl
02/04/2006, 05:57 PM
I've heard it's best to have tangs in groups of three as opposed to two.

BTTRFLYGRL
02/04/2006, 07:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6659190#post6659190 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MiddletonMark
IMO, why not wait until you have the tank up, running, and doing well?

It's not like Tangs will become unavailable in 3 months - if it's only 3 months, why not wait? What's the purpose of getting it now?

As is widely stated - nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Why the rush for the Tang?

I'd also add, there are endless stories here [at the reef club, at the LFS, etc] of `something coming up' that takes precedence over an aquarium upgrade. A health issue, a relationship, etc etc ... that uses the money you planned for the tank. IMO, wait until you have everything set up before getting the livestock.

This is good advise!!

bigbenji
02/04/2006, 07:55 PM
If there's only 1 thing I've learned so far about reefkeeping, its that you absolutely must be patient. The only things that happen fast are bad. You might as well get used to waiting now.
"patience is a virtue"

cutsupremetrib
02/04/2006, 08:13 PM
i agree wit bigbenki

overflowin
02/04/2006, 08:31 PM
been in the hobby a few years now, so i know that patience is key...the only reason i was even considering adding a yellow now is due to a recent development of bryopsis. my starry blenny eats only the shorter strands, and leaves the longer ones alone.

also, the 100 gallon is an established system that i am getting in a few weeks in exchange for a large reptile habitat i am building for a good friend. it should be set up in about a month...getting excited about the bigger tank!!

anyways, the decision has been made to trust my gut and wait. while i would love to get rid of that dam hair algae, stuffing 'a kitten in a shoebox' isn't the right thing to do.

donnie