PDA

View Full Version : fin regeneration

fancyfish
02/03/2006, 03:09 PM
my regal tang had a bite taken out her tail about 6 months ago. I am wondering if her tail will ever completely grow back?
also what about this for regeneration? MelaFix®
Heals open wounds & abrasions, treats fin and tail rot, eye cloud, mouth fungus and promotes regrowth of damaged fin rays & tissue. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water. Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water.
Not a big fan of medication but would love to have her tail back to 100%

irmee4
02/03/2006, 03:32 PM
i would say that if it has been six months, that it wont come back. i am not sure if that medicine will work or not since she must have gotten her tail bit of pretty short.

trippyl
02/03/2006, 04:07 PM
sometimes if the bite is too much, it won't grow back. Had this with my hippo tang, he came to me all banged up and with HLLE. While I did help him get much heathier, and I stopped the progression of HLLE, he was scarred for life, and always looked like his rear fin was nipped and the HLLE spots never went away.

fancyfish
02/03/2006, 05:53 PM
thanks. this is what I figured. she has a small u shape bite on the upper portion of her tail. she is gourgous nonetheless. happy reefing
pam

sean48183
02/03/2006, 07:46 PM
It will grow back but may take a long time. My sailfin had a chunk of her sail missing when I bought her and it was missing for a very long time. I quit even paying attention to it as I just thought this was the way she was and then suddenly looked one day and it was gone. Fins in my tank come up missing all the time due to the aggressive nature of my tank(Mostly the Psuedocromis-That little tail snatcher) but they always grow back. It does help to overfeed for awhile also. I feed 3 small meals a day.

TorryRx
02/03/2006, 11:16 PM
I used Melafix in my tank once when I first started in the hobby, and it burned the scales off the back 1/3 of my maroon clown, including fins. She made it, amazingly, and if you saw her now, you would never know it...she completely healed, fins and all. It took months, though, so there is a chance. Can't say I'm a big fan of the Melafix, though. I'm positive that I dosed it right, I even went on the conservative side, and it nearly killed off my entire tank!

fancyfish
02/03/2006, 11:20 PM
not a big fan of medications and will not use the melafix as I really trust nothing in my reef.