PDA

View Full Version : I need help / Skimmer / problems

SaltyNovice
02/03/2006, 08:42 PM
Ok, I posted this about 10 days ago and everyone said I needed to let my skimmer "break-in". Well it's been 10 days and things are not anybetter. Here is my problem - I have my live rock coming in tomorrow and I know I'm going to need this skimmer to work sooner than later!!

Aqua Medic, Turboflotor 1000 MLS Multi, Ocean Runner 2700 pump. When I turn the skimmer on it fills up the collection cup with water. It seems to have real good "micro bubbles". As far as I know there is no control on the pump pressure. After the skimmer collection cup fills up with water the bubbles will fall down lower on the cup. When I empty the water out of the collection cup and turn the pump back on - it proceeds to fill up the collection cup with foam and water and then recedes back down. With the collection cup full of water - there is no way to skim anything. With my live rock coming - I know I need to get this thing running right. I know the skimmer is probably a great peice of equipment - I'm probably doing something wrong. I have tried to email the company, but their website says they had a fire and will not be available for a few weeks. I need help now - Does anybody have any ideas at all for me? Please help!!!!

SaltyNovice :eek2:

Roland Jacques
02/03/2006, 08:58 PM
I’ve used these in the past, is it suppose to run an Ocean Runner 2700 pump now? I think the older model that I used output is controlled by 2 grey pieces of pvc that are controlled by rotating them or you can even pull them out for max flow. Basically your skimmer is not draining good enough to keep up with you input. So you have to increase the output or decrease the input.

SaltyNovice
02/03/2006, 09:01 PM
I have removed the PVC control pieces to allow maxium drainage. So how would you adjust anything else? Change the pump?

Roland Jacques
02/03/2006, 09:04 PM
if that pump is to big, (IE if it an't the pump it suppose to be runing) the drain output size may be to small to ever keep up with it. i no they have changed that model a little sence i had one. if you can post a photo that might help people help you.

Roland Jacques
02/03/2006, 09:15 PM
if you end up not using that pump let me no. im testing some nw pump for my skimmer im designing.

Drewpy
02/12/2006, 08:10 AM
just had the same problem... remove the adjustment plug/valves and use the collection cup riser...

old salty
02/12/2006, 08:54 AM
Aquamedic had a fire in their warehouse, but their offices are still open. I purchased a persistaltic pump from them and it wasn't working. I called their customer service and the guy talked me through it; 30 seconds later, it was working fine.

moumda
02/12/2006, 10:01 AM
I think I would try cutting back on the air rather than the water flow. I had the same problem with a euroreef and I got a small needle valve (one used for air regulation, I got 2 for $.79) and put it on the tubing running to the venturi. When the skimmer is clean I adjust the valve to give me a bubble level about an inch from the top of the tube. Works well for me.

SaltyNovice
02/12/2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all the replys everyone. My turboflotor is working like a champ now. I guess it really does have to "break-in". I could not be happier with it. I put 120lbs of live rock in the tank last Saturday the 4th and it has been skimming like crazy ever since. I guess it wasn't skimming before because there was nothing to skim. Anyway thanks for all the help - NOW - if I can just get the ammonia to come down? :confused: I know - I know - give it time!!!

"Patience is the Master of the Reef Aquarium"
SaltyNovice ;)