PDA

View Full Version : Gold Stripe Maroon Clownfish

jeffmdavis
02/04/2006, 10:08 AM
HI everyone,
I just got a small pair of Gold Stripe Maroon Clownfish. One is chasing the other and the least aggressive fish has ripped fins. It is still eating but stays in the back corner of my tank at the top. Is this just them establishing who is dominant or is it just a case of old fashion hate? I wanted them to pair up any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jeff

oama
02/04/2006, 01:39 PM
Look in the FAQ at the top of this forum. JHardman wrote a good piece titled "Pairing Clownfish". There is a whole section specifically on Maroons.

HTH

DMK
02/04/2006, 03:33 PM
this is normal. what size is each? i guess nipped 1 is smaller? i bought 2 WS maroons a few weeks ago. after going through same thing as u, the smaller 1 was nipped, and went MIA. i'm not replacing it until 1 i have is bigger and then throw in 1 1/2 it's size. that way there will be now fighting. the big 1 will be female and that's it.

stykthyn
02/04/2006, 06:53 PM
seperate them, the female needs to be at least 3 times bigger

rjm1983
02/06/2006, 04:12 PM
are they different colors, My male is orange and the female it a dark maroon

thedigitalimager
02/06/2006, 04:18 PM
If you want to pair up clownfish, Joyce Wilkerson's Clownfishes is an excellent resource. It available through RC's bookstore at this link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1890087041/reeflink/102-6667209-9525754) . It's also a great read and reference for anyone interested in clownfish.

SVXH6
02/06/2006, 04:27 PM
The maroons are one of the hardest clowns to pair up for aggression reasons.. when i pair them up i usually let the male have the run of the tank while the female is secured in a breeder net.. this way the male knows his way around the tank in case he has to get away..i usually leave the female in the breeder net for a few days to a week..females typically get very dark, and the males that i have seen usually stay more of a orangish red.. you usually want a female around 2.5 to 3 inches and a one inch male, mind you though the longer you leave the female alone the more aggressive she may be.. a 4 inch female is going to easily take out a one inch male..

Kigs
02/06/2006, 06:20 PM
i heard that maroons will stay sexless unless there is another maroon that will trigger them to change their sex from a juvenile stage? if this is true, will a maroon ever turn into a female if left alone for awhile in a tank so it will get "big"?

jeffmdavis
02/06/2006, 07:05 PM
Great question, any help would be appreciated. Both of mine were the same size and in the tank together along with a couple of others at the LFS. When I first put them in my tank, there was an O. Clown. He was larger and attacked both of the Maroons. When they were first in the tank, they were together. I removed the O. Clown the next morning and I was sure the ripped fins on the one was from him. However, ever since then the Dom. Maroon will not let the other out of the corner. As long as he stays there, he is left alone. However, if he ventures out, he is chased back into the corner. This has gone on for about 4 days. He is still eating, but only food that ventures to his corner. Is this a hopeless match? If so, I need to take him out and back to the fish store.

What does everyone think? Also, the one who is Dom., is the biggest of the two, but only about a third as big.

JEff

SVXH6
02/06/2006, 07:30 PM
VSNY2K5.... this is not true.. any clownfish type left alone will change into a female, quickly.. when the dominant female dies the male will then change into a female rather quickly..i read a report when the dominant female died the male took over and in 28 days and was laying eggs, that is rather remarkable..i have had a maroon for over a year now that has been by herself she is around 3.5 to4 inches long and is very very aggressive, rearranges everything and attacks any fish nearby, she is in my avatar..

jeffmdavis
02/06/2006, 07:33 PM
My Dom Maroon is indeed fearless! I was moving a rock in my tank and it attacked my hand, multiple times. WoW!! I am 6'7" and have a very big hand!

Jeff

SVXH6
02/06/2006, 07:54 PM
i would get a breeder net place the dominant female in the th breeder and let the smaller one have the run of the tank for a week see if this helps.. also how big is the small one and how big is the dominant one??

jeffmdavis
02/06/2006, 08:00 PM
The Big one is only slighltly larger. What is a breeders net? ALso they are both no larger than 1 3/4 inches long

El Langostino
02/08/2006, 01:29 AM
My new tank raised gold stripe maroon clown is about 2-3 inches and is incredibly docile, even my chromis chase and nip at it. I guess, according to this thread, it will eventually become female and grow larger. Any chance it will remain friendly in disposition or will it become an aggressive monster? I was hopeful that because it is tank bred it might not ever become real mean.

stykthyn
02/08/2006, 03:26 AM
There is always the exception to the rule, but I wouldnt hold my breath on it.

jeffmdavis
02/08/2006, 06:52 AM
Well, the smaller one died last night. I came home and during the day, the more aggressive one had taken everything to a much higher level and ravaged the other. I took him out and put in a container but it was too late. I had gone out during lunch and purchased a breeding cage like suggested to put the more aggressive in for the time being. It leaves everything else alone. it sleeps in the same corner with my copper banded butterfly with no issues. I am currently trying to decide if I am going to keep him or not. I have always wanted one of these fish but the main focus of my tank is my Copper Banded Butterfly and My Potters Angel. I would love any suggestions from the group. SHould it go and me replace with a couple of percs? if I want a pair of those, what should I look for?

keefsama2003
02/08/2006, 09:33 AM
took me 4 months and 4 different fish but i have finally gotten a pair i have a 5" female and a 1.5" juvi and they are getting along great swim together dont leave eachothers side.

man the female was a beast towards the juvis upto this last one so if it doesnt work keep swapping out fish before they get over stressed.