PDA

View Full Version : Been Gone Too Long

Ddddrgnfly
02/05/2006, 02:35 AM
Damn, has it really been that long??? I lost my 140 about 2.5 years ago during a move that went from bad to worse and got out of the hobby for a bit. A couple of months ago I started getting the bug again, lurked around here a few times and decided to take the plunge again. Started looking for another tank and found a few 75's that I wanted but knew that after having a 140 that in time I would want a bigger tank. I am glad I held out as I found a 180 for a pretty good deal. When I sold my tank, I kept all of my equipment, wasn't sure why at the time but now I am glad I did.

My 140 flourished and to me it was a very nice looking tank. After getting this one and getting into the planning of things, it's almost like going back to 3rd grade. I haven't forgotten what it takes to run and maintain a reef but as I cruise the forums, I catch myself doing the old "oh yea" and not to mention it seems there has been quite a few advancement in the hobby along with some new products which is great. My old tank was pretty simple, 3-175 Ushio's, dual dosing pump, two sea swirls and the regular stuff(skimmer, pumps, yada yada).

This one I am wanting to take a couple of steps further with a controller or two, get rid of the powerheads in favor of a closed loop, Calc reactor and so on. I will be moving in a month or two so I have time to try and get it all planned out, aquire a few things before getting everything fired up. In the process now of hooking up the old equipment and seeing what works and what needs fixed (upgraded) or (trashed).

I am sure as I continue to look around I will find things that I either want to incorporate into this setup which will end up with questions asked or just have some questions in general.

It's really nice to be getting back into reefkeping, I never thought I would have missed it as much as I have these last few months.

I am going to start out with a couple questions and then ask for some input on the CL i am working on.

Question 1 ..... What's going on with the search feature. Are there issues with it or is it just me not able to get it to work? Do you have to be a "premium" member to access it?

#2 ... Reeferrocks, saw them mentioned somewhere along the way. Anybody use these, thoughts?? Just looking for some good base rock to build on.

#3... The closed loop I am thinking of will be two separate units. Both will probably have 2" drains with the returns being 3/4 pvc. My initial thought was to go with 1" but with 3/4 there would be just a little back pressure if any and more pressure at the outputs (there will be 9 on each loop) so it should flow pretty freely. Not quite sure which pumps I want to use for htis but I do have a couple of Gen-X's that were only in service for a few months before the crash so maybe them, I dunno yet. If it shows up, I have attached a link to the rough drawing of this CL, if not, the pic is in my gallery.

Any and all input is welcomed.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=153099

Thanks,
Rog

reefD
02/05/2006, 02:49 AM
as far as the search engine issue...i have the same issues. i have even started threads on the ask about forum and got no where. this isnt the same but someone said go to home page and click on search at left column . works but does a google search of forum. not same i believe. anyways yeah i think reef centrel is having an issue with providing this feature for free. i mean the site is very busy and there are many premium memmbers so the scraps are filled fast

Lobster
02/05/2006, 03:16 AM
The search feature is pretty much only useable in the wee hours of the morning unless you pay for premium membership. They have to do this because of the forum software they are using (we use the same version on an even larger forum than RC). We ended up having to write our own search engine to replace it.

shag26272
02/05/2006, 03:25 AM
I think something from this site will improve your closed loop greatly.
http://www.oceansmotions.com/

skewch
02/05/2006, 12:20 PM
Even as a premium member, the search features seems to be more and more unavailable during the evenings :(