PDA

View Full Version : Internal Vs External

fishnugget
02/05/2006, 07:39 AM
I am concerned that an external skimmer can overflow. I am considering the new Geo RC8*28 Recirculating. However footprint is 10*20. Very large. Anyone have any experience with this skimmer or external?

Any other reasonable$ choices for a 210 gallon tank?

moonpod
02/05/2006, 08:26 AM
put a drain in the collection cup and run it to a good sized waste container. End of concerns.

I dunno the GEO 8/28. I had a GEO external dual sedra 5000 8" diameter by 36" tall more or less. It was decent. It was on a 180g tank with about 40 in the sump. It replaced a MR3 and I felt it was more consistent than the MR3. I replaced it with a Deltec AP702 which obviously is a WHOLE LOT of skimmer. What is your budget? Do you have a preference for needlewheels or are you open to other options? Size constraints? Noise?

fishnugget
02/05/2006, 08:32 AM
Size. must fit under cabinet. Noise- must be quiett. It is next to TV. Price- Less than $700.

Can you give me some good choices?

I saw an H&S for $649. It is also a recir but it's specs seem less efficient than geo. Only 24 heigh 6" tube. Geo 28 height 8" tube

mmgm
02/05/2006, 08:33 AM
The MTC 1000 to 3000 series are external skimmers with built in safety measures preventing the skimmer from ever overflowing.... It's actually plumbed into your system.... The overflow connects to a custom built collector cup.... IN the event the collector cup fills up to the top an automatic shut off valve engages... Once the shut off valve engages all skimate flows back into your system until problem is corrected..... I have been using this type of skimmer for about 3 years..... The only time it overflows is when I initially set the unit up... Never overflows onto the ground because of the automatic shut off valve.....

Hope this helps.....:D

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/28319Skimmer_1.jpg

fishnugget
02/05/2006, 08:41 AM
Do you know the web address for this skimmer?

moonpod
02/05/2006, 08:47 AM
marinetechnicalconcepts.com I believe. They make really rock solid stuff, and their beckett units are particularly nice if you like becketts, albeit a bit pricey.

Any skimmer can have an "autoshutoff" valve setup. You get the waste drain in the skimmer. You make sure the top of the collection cup is air tight--the air exits via the drain in the skimmer. You connect the drain to a waste container with an autoshutoff--essentially this is a pingpong ball type float valve that closes off the air exit when the container is full. This "pressurizes" the skimmer and inhibits air injection and the skimmer ceases to skim. end of story.

Ext needlewheels have the water level set typically by the relationship of the height of the exit plumbing and sometimes you can "tweak" it a bit with a gate/ball valve. That part is practically fullproof. The "overflow" of course comes from something that causes transient excessive skimming. There are many ways to skin that cat however that are pretty simple.

Edit: www.marinetechnical.com

Ireland
02/05/2006, 10:02 AM
fishnugget if you are concerned about noise, I would be wary of any beckett. They can be very loud, not to mention the pumps necessary to power them. Looks like an Iwaki 70 in the pic, great pump, but not one that is known for being quiet.

GROSSR
02/05/2006, 04:28 PM
If you want to prevent overflow do like the lifereef skimmer. Connect the end of your airline to your collection cup. If the cup fills up it can draw air so no more bubbles.

rich