PDA

View Full Version : upgrading light on my 20084"

summer6
02/05/2006, 12:10 PM
Hi,

First let me say that I don't know too much about lighting - I'll blame it on being female!

I'm currently running a IC 430 and IC 660 ballasts to power up 2 URI 72" super actinic vho's and 2 URI 72" daylight bulbs - retro fit.

My tank (200 oceanic) measures 84" long x 24" deep x 24" high.
I use glass canopies, with an enclosed oak cap.

I have softies, and LPS corals, they are doing well, but my corallline algae has receeded. Yes, I've got my cal/ph levels up now, they were too low, and add turbo cal weekly, and purple up daily. This improvement has been about 2 mos. now.
I'm just increased the flow by adding a "Y" for the overflow nozzles, and added two jet pumps for more circulation.
Maybe this will be enough to get the coralline going, but I might need to give it some more time.

Do you think I should remove the glass canopies?
I run 2 4" ic fans in the hood, along with some round vents.
I like the fact that there's no salt creep on the lighting fixtures or fans, and like not having to worry about stray cords dangling into the water, nor do I have a unit to top off the evap. water.

Will this significantly improve the light penetration into the tank? I also have about a 24" glass brace in the middle adding another layer for the lights to penetrate.

If I tried to upgrade my lighting the biggest problem is a lack of space under the cap.
I was thinking of maybe SLR (icecap) and put 2x36" t'5's in there. Do you know which IC ballast would power these?
MH is out of the question, due to the enclosed cap.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

summer6
02/05/2006, 12:11 PM
Sorry, the above title is wrong!

newreefman31
02/05/2006, 03:01 PM
what are u planning on keeping?? Well if MH is out of the ?; T5s with good refleactors are really ur best bet. Have a picture??

summer6
02/05/2006, 03:39 PM
I'm keeping mushrooms, zoo's, frogspawn, elegance, brains, leather, candycane, nothing more involved that these.
I don't know how to post a picture, but will see if I can get some help to do so.