PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about BB and fuges

143gadgets
02/05/2006, 11:07 PM
I have recently converted my tank to BB and I would like to know if it is a good idea to keep my fuge. I currently have cheato in there but I don't mind getting rid of it. What do u guys recommend and why? Thanks for the help!

Claeth
02/06/2006, 12:01 AM
I would definitely keep the fuge. sand has bacteria in it that breaks down nutrients and "eats" leftover foods. Without the refugium , many more nutrients will stay in the water that would naturally be taken up by the chaeto. Not to mention, a fuge isnt just for the algae, its a safe haven for the majority of your micro invert population. Removing it would greatly reduce the amounts of natural food that is bieng added to the tank. Another point would be that you would be removing an added water volume, so any pollutants would have less water to be dissolved in, creating faster perameter changes than in less water. Hope this helps.

Wiskey
02/06/2006, 12:02 AM
I will repeat the information that was given to me.

In a properly run BB tank a fuge will do more harm then good.

Cheto, and other macro algae harbor deatris for their own use, if not held by the macros this deatris would have been removed via the skimmer.

But this is only true in a properly run system.

HTH, or at very least it is a bump,
Whiskey