PDA

View Full Version : Clam Slime

pi
04/05/2002, 12:17 PM
I recently added a new addition of a maxima clam to my tank. The clam looks great and is opening wide. However, there are small strings of slime that seems to collect around the rim of the shell. THe slime also contains small bubbles. Anyone ever seen this? I wonder if it connected with the clams attempt to attach to the rock. THe two "slimes" appear similar.

Thanks!

Paul

toptank
04/05/2002, 07:02 PM
Paul,

Are you talking about the under part of the clam ( byssal) if so that sould like the byssal threads which will attach to a surface. These threads are produced by the byssal gland that looks like fluid which harden in water.

Barry

pi
04/08/2002, 09:36 AM
No, the slime is actually collecting around the top rim of the shell.

toptank
04/08/2002, 03:34 PM
Have you tried cleaning the slime off with a SOFT tooth brush.

It is really hard to say what it could be without seeing it. Had to just guess :(

Barry

samz
04/08/2002, 04:26 PM
Paul-
I know exactly the slime that you are speaking about. I had a powerhead that would throw a few bubbles into the water and I believe that it caused this bubble slime. I also have seen slime with bubbles on my clams that was pyramid snail eggs (not good).

I would listen to Barry and clean it off with a soft brush,, preferably out of the tank. This is just my opinion.

Sam