PDA

View Full Version : is flagstone reef safe???

LOTUS50GOD
02/06/2006, 08:23 AM
I was thinking... with all the flat surfaces, it would be ideal for making ledges, mounting frags, and gives an ideal place for clowns to lay eggs...

HippieSmell
02/06/2006, 08:45 AM
Depends on exactly what the flagstone is made of, I guess. I heard limestone is risky, and I don't really know if slate or sandstone is safe either. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in. It would make some really cool ledges though.

LOTUS50GOD
02/06/2006, 10:36 AM
ttt

clkwrk
02/06/2006, 11:22 AM
Why add flagstone made from an unknown amount of minerals into your tank? Especially since you say you have over 20 grand in it?

Doesn't make since to me .IMO

LOTUS50GOD
02/06/2006, 12:35 PM
I was just wondering if it was reef safe .... I am getting kinda board of my current rock formation.... and instead of doing 'live rock' I was looking for something else that may be a little different. I really dont think the corals, nor the fish care what kinda rock they are sleeping in or being attached to.

The flagstone would allow for more corals to be attached due to its flat surfaces. You can also make square caves for the fish (again maximizing space and swim room)... again.. this is just a thought....

I do have a lot of money in my tank.... but im not too concerned about the $... more with keeping everything safe and alive...

HippieSmell
02/06/2006, 12:53 PM
You could always make your own rock out of porter cement and sand. I know that's safe, and it would look more natural IMO.

sjfishguy
02/06/2006, 12:54 PM
If you are going to do a mostly flagstone reef, my concern (aside from the mineral leaching) would be the density of flagstone. Remember, we use LR and tufa rock because it is porous, allowing anaerobic bacteria to colonize the inner core and aerobic bacteria on the outer surface. I would be concerned with the limited surface area flagstone provides for bacteria. I would make sure you still have plenty of live rock, even if you do eventually decide flagstone is "reef safe" (although, I personally would not take the chance.)