PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up for Ozone!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JohnL
02/06/2006, 01:27 PM
This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=6678925#post6678925

Doubledown
02/06/2006, 01:27 PM
I just picked up a 200mg/hr RedSea Delux and connected it last Thursday. I set the dosage low (75) as the probe has not completely aclimated and am injecting the ozone into a "T" in my Sedra air feed tube. I a using an ASM G5 skimmer (dual Sedra 9000 - 1 fit for recirc mod).

I woke up Saturday morning and smelled ozone in the air. I have placed carbon over the air outlet on the gate valve mod, but the collection cup lid does not have any holes on the top (only has the cutouts for the lid to attach).

I am using a simple small airpump to feed the ozone generator.

What could lead to this build up I am smelling? I don't even have the unit turned up very far. From what I have read, the ozone should dissapate in the skimmer prior to being released into the collection cup.

Will lowering the amount of air (by dialing down the airpump) help? It would seem that the amount of ozone generated is the same (75 m/hr) but the delivery will be slower.

Is there a mod for the skimmer to make it "ozone tight"?

Thanks
Chris

mikeguerrero
02/06/2006, 01:52 PM
Hey Reefers,

After reading through this entire thread, I placed my order last night for the Sanders 50 mg/hr unit and the Milwuakee SMS 510 controller.

I run a 72 gallon bowfront reef with 20 gallon sump; my skimmer is the Deltec AP600.

I'm trying to decided between the 250 or 500 airdryers by RedSea? Which one? I read that a lot of people just within one week completely exhaust the 250. Should I then get the 500 or is that overkill for my tank?

I also would like to know, should I purchase an airpump to drive the ozone into my skimmer? As it is, my skimmer has a very stong suction as it's an Aquabee pump. If yes, which one do you recommend? I have read around and some airpumps say, ozone safe diagfram.

I have two whisper pumps the 500 and the 200. The 500 has a dial to control airflow, would these pumps be enough or do we need new type of ozone safe air pumps.

Lastly,
What about the air check valve that is ozone safe? Do we need to insert one of these in between the skimmer and the ozonizer? I just don't see the purpose of this, my skimmer never leaks water out this hole, then again my skimmer is always on.

Would the check valve be to prevent water backing up in the event of a power outage?

Do I really need the T connection so air can be drawn by the skimmer in case the air pump stalls?

I would think that with a T connection ozone would escape or is there a vaccum going on in there?

Man I'm sorry about all the questions but if you can help that would be totally appreciated.

Mike G

Ramble On Rose
02/06/2006, 02:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6678927#post6678927 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Doubledown
I just picked up a 200mg/hr RedSea Delux and connected it last Thursday. I set the dosage low (75) as the probe has not completely aclimated and am injecting the ozone into a "T" in my Sedra air feed tube. I a using an ASM G5 skimmer (dual Sedra 9000 - 1 fit for recirc mod).

I woke up Saturday morning and smelled ozone in the air. I have placed carbon over the air outlet on the gate valve mod, but the collection cup lid does not have any holes on the top (only has the cutouts for the lid to attach).

I am using a simple small airpump to feed the ozone generator.

What could lead to this build up I am smelling? I don't even have the unit turned up very far. From what I have read, the ozone should dissapate in the skimmer prior to being released into the collection cup.

Will lowering the amount of air (by dialing down the airpump) help? It would seem that the amount of ozone generated is the same (75 m/hr) but the delivery will be slower.

Is there a mod for the skimmer to make it "ozone tight"?

Thanks
Chris

Drill a hole in the collection cup lid and put some carbon on there! :)

Like I said in your other thread, I can lower my air supply or ozone supply and you will still smell the ozone to some extent if there is no carbon on wherever the air is going to escape.

mikeguerrero
02/06/2006, 02:47 PM
Anyone want to tackle my questions???

Thanks,

Mike G

Doubledown
02/06/2006, 03:26 PM
Thank you RoR. So regardless of the amount of air or the amount of ozone - without carbon I am going to end up with excess leaking from the skimmer?

Do you feel that by drilling holes in the lid to the collection cup I would "force" or "lead" the air escaping from the skimmer out that hole and not through the normal vents? Or will I need to seal those normal vents and add the hole in the top?.

I haven't found one yet, but are there designs or plans for a DIY ozone reactor? Would a large diameter PVC pipe with a Maxijet, airstone and some carbon do the trick? What about modifying a Phosguard Reactor to inject ozone into and then out through carbon?

Thanks
Chris

Bill and Elaine
02/06/2006, 03:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6679494#post6679494 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikeguerrero
Anyone want to tackle my questions???

Thanks,

Mike G

Get the 500....last much longer between bead baking's

mikeguerrero
02/06/2006, 03:40 PM
Bill,

I just order the 500 online... Now I looked at the Sanders website and noticed that they recommend 20-500 liter/hour of air to enter the unit.

Anyone want to recommend the perfect airpump for my setup? I currently own an old Whisper 500 with adustable knob but I don't know the specs.

I saw a the Dolphin airpump which puts out 150 liters/hour would that be enough?

My skimmer is the AP600 and that sucker has a strong air suction already.

Mike G

Bill and Elaine
02/06/2006, 05:31 PM
The Luft Pump by Coralife....heres a link.......I got mine on E-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coralife-Luft-hi-pressure-Aquarium-Pond-Air-Pump-7-0psi_W0QQitemZ7742592602QQcategoryZ46312QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It was the best price I could find on it.....but look around you may find it cheeper........It's Ozone safe with a 7.0 PSI adjustable air out put

Fred_J
02/06/2006, 06:03 PM
mikeguerrero -- That is the pump I use. The air pump should not need to be ozone safe since it is first in line. It pushes air through the ozonator. I bought the 500 air dryer because I had to renew the smaller one every couple days.
Fred

mikeguerrero
02/06/2006, 06:18 PM
Bill,

I looked at the specs on that pump by Coralife, it's rated at:

Output Flow Rate: 1.34 cubic feet/min (38 liters/min)

Now if we multiply that by 60 to complete one hour we get 2,280 liters/hour.

All Sanders units are rated to receive anywhere from 20-500 liters/hour.

Wouldn't I be way off with this powerful monster air pump???

Trust me I saw that awesome pump and wanted to bring it home but I believe thats too much power...

Am I wrong?

Mike

mikeguerrero
02/06/2006, 06:59 PM
Can anyone comment on what I believe is the wrong air speed on this Sanders unit....

Because if not, I'd love to get this air pump.... It's monster big....

Mike

Ramble On Rose
02/06/2006, 07:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6679839#post6679839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Doubledown
Thank you RoR. So regardless of the amount of air or the amount of ozone - without carbon I am going to end up with excess leaking from the skimmer?

Do you feel that by drilling holes in the lid to the collection cup I would "force" or "lead" the air escaping from the skimmer out that hole and not through the normal vents? Or will I need to seal those normal vents and add the hole in the top?.

I haven't found one yet, but are there designs or plans for a DIY ozone reactor? Would a large diameter PVC pipe with a Maxijet, airstone and some carbon do the trick? What about modifying a Phosguard Reactor to inject ozone into and then out through carbon?

Thanks
Chris

IME - Yes, no matter what I do, I get the smell of ozone if I do not put carbon on top. I think the air will follow the path of least resistance so I wouldn't worry about sealing off the collection cup. I just built my own reactor like a 4" snailman skimmer - minus the collection cup. On top I just put a female adapter and plug and then drilled a hole in the plug for my airline to go in and for air to escape. Pretty much anything that is ozone safe that you can inject air into will work.

Bill and Elaine
02/06/2006, 07:31 PM
the luft pump has an adjustable air speed........mine pushes through the air dryer then the ozone generator then to the skimmer........you have to take into account head pressure....even for air flow........my pump is pushing air through all of that with about 7' of air hose

clkwrk
02/06/2006, 07:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6681568#post6681568 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikeguerrero
Can anyone comment on what I believe is the wrong air speed on this Sanders unit....

Because if not, I'd love to get this air pump.... It's monster big....

Mike

I have a sander 50mghr unit and thats what I use . Have been for 8 months now . Dialed up to allitle over half.

mikeguerrero
02/06/2006, 07:48 PM
You guys are the best; clkwrk, Bill and Elaine, Fred_J.... I will purchase that air pump tommorrow....

Mike G

jay24k
02/06/2006, 10:14 PM
Are all units about the same? On my calcium reactor I ordered, I had the guy get me the orp/ph controller combo all in one since I figure I'm going to do the ozone route.

Clkwrk, do you fell the 50 mghr unit would be plenty for a 180 gallon sps tank?

clkwrk
02/06/2006, 10:16 PM
Sure would IMO . I have never run more than 15mghr and my orp stays right around 400 unless I am feeding or dosing kalk.

I also run a 250g airdrier . When it saturates I will use 30mghr to maintain.

clkwrk
02/06/2006, 10:17 PM
as a matter of fact I will be using it on my 180 once I get it and get it going .

jay24k
02/06/2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks. Might have to pick one up. Any place you recommend?

Thanks.

mikeguerrero
02/07/2006, 04:42 AM
clkwrk,

You are talking about the Luft pump by Coralife? They make three models two Super Lufts and one just called Luft.

Just want to order the right one for my Sanders. Can others reefers chime in here, the ones that use the Luft pump.

MarineDepot carries all three; two super lufts and just the luft.

Here is a picture of the one I think you guys are talking about:

http://i1.*******.com/ncz96a.jpg

Is this the right one?

Thanks,

Mike G

clkwrk
02/07/2006, 09:40 AM
yup thats it :D

Bill and Elaine
02/07/2006, 02:23 PM
Yup that's it

Fred_J
02/07/2006, 02:55 PM
There is the possibility that you may not need it with the Deltec. I would get one just for fine tuning. A venturi skimmer sucks in the air right from the ozonator, since this restricts the air going in some people put a tee in between the skimmer and ozonater. That way the skimmer can draw in the ozone along with fresh air to make up the difference. I think the air pump gives you more control.
Fred

Kenfuzed
02/07/2006, 04:34 PM
I've been using ozone for a couple years now and consider myself fairly proficient with it's use. However I'm in the middle of switching skimmers and want to hear from anyone with a similar set up.

My former setup was teed into the venturi air line of my ASM skimmer (similar to euroreef and deltec). I'm changing over my sump to use an AquaC EV-180, however this is the one that does not have the JG fitting separate from the air inlet valve. Anyone out there using this same skimmer and injecting ozone? I want to know how others attach to this style skimmer. I've thought of drilling a small hole in the top of the mixing box and siliconing in a JG fitting. Also, my ozone generator is an Enaly 300 with internal pump and hooked to a controller. The internal air pump on these are not very strong so I'm wondering if I need to install a helper pump in front of the dryer.

Any thoughts?

mikeguerrero
02/07/2006, 04:56 PM
Kenfuzed,

I'm picking up the coralife luft pump because it's a security measure to keep air entering the ozone at all times when in use that is.

Since it has a dial to control flow, you can adjust it accordingly. I've looked at a lot of air pumps and this one looks the best.

As you can see a lot of reefers use it; I am just curious how many out there have it connected the AP 600 Deltec skimmer ????

MG

mikeguerrero
02/07/2006, 05:53 PM
Well,

I got it, I went over and picked up my Coralife Luft pump along with a check valve for added security.

My LFS had the unit pretty low in price considering it was around the same price as online without shipping cost, I picked it up.

It's a small little pump that comes with extra filters...

I have a question, do I require to have a T connection before the skimmer?

Wouldn't this have the chance of ozone to be leaked out of this hole?

Or is the suction so powerful from both the venturi pull that a vaccum is created and air rushes in and mixes with ozone and then enters the chamber of the skimmer?

Just not sure about the T connection and want some pros and cons if any.

Thanks,

Mike G

Bill and Elaine
02/07/2006, 05:58 PM
you need the Tee for when the ozone shuts off.......set it up with a Tee at the air intake on the skimmer......leave one side open....the other goes to the ozone generator......adjust the output on the luft pump so that its not forcing ozone out of the Tee

mikeguerrero
02/07/2006, 06:35 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the heads up on the T connection. Will any ordinary T connection work? I saw one at Pet Club for only 59 cents.

Do you recommend a certain brand?

By the way, Bill do you know anyone that runs the Sander ozonizer with the AP-600 skimmer?

Oh yeah, the Coralife has increments on the knob what setting do you recommend as you know I will have the 500g airdryer connected to it.

Thanks,

Mike

mikeguerrero
02/07/2006, 06:38 PM
Bill,

I was thinking, if the Ozonizer shuts off, doesn't the airpump continue pumping air through the unit and then lead air to the skimmer? Thus a T connection is not needed???

Wouldn't this be enough air even if the ozone is off?

Is the T connection a safety feature that will allow the venturi air to pull through the opening in case the airpump clogs up?

????

Thanks,

Mike

Bill and Elaine
02/07/2006, 06:47 PM
I have an AquaMedic 50mg Ozone generator ( made be sanders) running on a ASM G-3....as far as a Tee goes you need an ozone safe material like PVDF....heres a link

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=6915&Page=1

I have a two way electrical out let plugged in on my ORP controller so that the luft pump and ozone generator come on and shut off together

mikeguerrero
02/07/2006, 07:10 PM
Bill and Elaine,

You rock, I will also connect my controller to shut off both my air pump and the ozone, creative minds are the best...

I purchased the wrong Check Valve by Tetratec; in the back of the packet it says Not for use with an ozone generator.

I hope the site you gave me sells ozone safe check valves...

Mike G

Sicklid
02/07/2006, 07:11 PM
Be careful with the ASM as I put a bag of carbon on top of my G-3 collection cup to absorb the excess ozone, and it fell off, and landed on the riser tube blocking it and causing water to splash outside of my sump. I caught it right before it flooded out onto my floor tonight.

mikeguerrero
02/07/2006, 07:19 PM
Bill,

Sorry to ask yet another question, but I went to the website and I don't know what size fitting to order for the T connection.

They have a ton of sizes to choose from....

Thanks,

Lobster
02/07/2006, 07:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6678927#post6678927 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Doubledown

Wait... are you saying you set the desired ORP on your controller to 75? Hope not.

:)

Bill and Elaine
02/07/2006, 07:26 PM
Mikeguerrero:what ever sized air hose you have on the skimmer is the sized Tee you want to order......cant help you with the check valve....I don't use one......my ozone set up is mounted on the top of my hood out of sight ( cant back up )

Sicklid: I have the Gate Vale mod on my G-3 no need to worry............. :-)

Vampire2
02/07/2006, 07:58 PM
Normal size for the Ozoner tube is 3/16 but I believe your German skimmer tube is 1/4. I have GroTech skimmer with 1/4 tube so I need the adapter to hook up into 3/16 tube to the Ozoner.

zonco
02/07/2006, 10:09 PM
I was given a more-zon 30 last year and was wondering if I have the airline tubing in the right hole , well there are 2 and I believe I have it on the one thats pushing air out. There are no directions on the machine that say in or out . :rolleyes:

Bill and Elaine
02/07/2006, 10:40 PM
http://www.riopump.net/Accessories_folder/MreZon_Acs.html

That's a link to the More-Zon home page......I didn't see a manual.....but you may be able to contact them and ask questions

Bill and Elaine
02/07/2006, 10:44 PM
Zonco: you need an air pump to push air through the ozone generator.......you should also use an air dryer

Air Pump >>> Air Dryer >>> Ozone Generator >>>to skimmer or ozone reactor

zonco
02/07/2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks it makes a lot more sense know !

Sullyman
02/07/2006, 11:01 PM
So, Bill, if you found yourself with this ozone generator, how would you suggest hooking it up? I have never used Ozone before. Will be using it with a mce600 deltec skimmer.
Bob

Bill and Elaine
02/07/2006, 11:10 PM
I am running my ozone into an ASM G-3........I have it hooked up to the air line on the Sedra pump.......you can do the same on the deltec......just make sure you have an ORP controller to monitor the ozone and shut it off if it gets to high.......( too much ozone can nuke your tank ) and clean your probe once a week

Sullyman
02/07/2006, 11:20 PM
I was wondering wether to get a controler or monitor, I'm pretty much home all the time, but it's not much difference in price.
Has yours shut down the generator after it was set? I know all it would take was once so I guess I'm answering that question.
Are you using an air pump? I've run it a few hours a couple of times, the skimmer works the same, does pumping air into it do anything for skimmer performance?
Thanks for the help
Bob

reptoreef
02/08/2006, 12:01 AM
I just hooked up my ozone generator(similar to enaly) today around 11am... ORP was 345 before and is now 389. The controller is the Smart Milwuakee set at 380 or so. All seems well so far. My main concern is that there is no input port to hook up the Red Sea 250 air dryer and the pump is built into the unit that T's into my ASM skimmer. Anyone have any ideas??? I do have an adjustable pump that I can use it I have to disable the built in pump to modify for the ability to hook up the air dryer.

Perureef
02/08/2006, 01:35 AM
what do you all think of the enaly ozonizer? is ozone safe enough to run 24/7? How far above an ORP of 400 is considered dangerous? thanks

DrBDC
02/08/2006, 06:08 AM
A target range of 375-450 is common.

Doubledown
02/08/2006, 08:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6689878#post6689878 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lobster
Wait... are you saying you set the desired ORP on your controller to 75? Hope not.

:)

No, the desired ORP is set at 375. The ozone dosage is set @ 75 m/hr (I believe that is the units it is in).

grochmal
02/08/2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by azgard
Is it possible to simply put an ozone feed air stone at the bottom of a tank overflow. Principle would be similar to counter current skimmer?

There wasn't really any reply to this question.
I'm curious about it as well.
My overflow feeds directly to my skimmer, so it should work the same as if I was feeding the ozone to my venturi air line, right?
The only issue I can think of is how to handle using carbon to filter any ozone escaping to the air.

I'm also curious about all the concerns people have with ozone escaping to the air.
Why is there such a concern with this, considering that you can buy air purifiers that blow ozone directly into the air?

Grayout
02/08/2006, 10:36 AM
Jeff,

I think somebody said it may work but they weren't sure. I would be concerned about the sufficient depletion of ozone prior to return.

Some on this thread have questioned the toxicity of the ozone generated by these units. They produce such a small amount, it is questionable whether or not it could be toxic.

Mainly, I think it's the unpleasant smell coming from the skimmate.

reptoreef
02/08/2006, 10:41 AM
in higher levels it is fatal to even us... tends to raise eyebrows, but IMO, our little units aren't really enough to cause damage. Anybody else have anything to share??? BTW, I just allow my ozone to go directly into my skimmer via the venturi. Although yours feeds directly from your overflow, I'm sure you would have the same option(venturi, injection, etc). I have a fish that found his way into that sump with the skimmer a few months ago that seems to be fine... hope this helps.

grochmal
02/08/2006, 10:42 AM
But if the water is going from the overflow directly to my skimmer, it should be fine shouldn't it?

DrBDC
02/08/2006, 10:46 AM
I'd try the overflow if it works easy for you. On the smell of ozone, I think it smells like walking into an indoor pool and the chlorine smell. JMO Some people will experience some sinus headaches when first using ozone air purifiers as thier sinus' clear from some of the deeper sinus cavities. Is that actually good or bad? If you are having a bad headache, I'm sure they'd vote bad but you are technically clearing out junk and it may take an acclimation period for the people. Turn it lower and slowly ramp up. A fan over the area may help dissipate the smell and get a whole house benefit not to mention cooling help for the tank from increased evaporation. Now if you are running an ozone generator over a couple hundred then I would try to limit the amount entering the air.

Grayout
02/08/2006, 11:52 AM
Jeff,

Have you purchased your ozone generator yet? I know Bioreef will have the Red Sea units soon. They will also have check valves and the ozone safe tubing as well.

grochmal
02/08/2006, 12:01 PM
Not yet.
I was thinking of buying an Enaly unit.

DrBDC
02/08/2006, 12:03 PM
Don't buy the Enaly if you use X10 controllers.

mikeguerrero
02/08/2006, 12:04 PM
Grayout,

You can get RedSea units at marinedepot and many other online stores. Marine Depot also sells Ozone safe tubbing and the check valves.

I have to return my check valve that I purchased from my LFS as when I looked a the back of the packet it says, not for use with ozone generators.

Mike

grochmal
02/08/2006, 12:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6694666#post6694666 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBDC
Don't buy the Enaly if you use X10 controllers.

No X10 here.
I tried it a while ago and had nothing but problems so I gave up.

Grayout
02/08/2006, 12:44 PM
Yea, I've seen them online but I still like to support our LFS. I'm a small business owner so I try and help. We have some excellent stores in our area that are very helpful. I don't want to have to buy everything online if these guys fold.

mikeguerrero
02/08/2006, 01:00 PM
Grayout,

I went with the Sanders unit instead of RedSea; just the fact that it's a German made product I know I will get quality.

Does your LFS carry Sanders? I would recommend this unit and you can build it with your choice of a controller and air dryer, etc...

Mike

Grayout
02/08/2006, 01:08 PM
I've heard good things about the Sanders unit. I think I'm going to go the RedSea route since I've had luck with their products in the past. I plan to hook it up to a neptune controller and use their air dryer. The ozone will be injected into a MRC-1 through a beckett ozone injector.

I'm sure our LFS would carry Sanders it I requested they do so. I have commited to them on this one so I don't want to screw them over.

Thanks for the info though.

Bill and Elaine
02/08/2006, 02:10 PM
Grayout : I have an AquaMedic ozone generator......they are made by Sanders.......and cost less $$

Perureef
02/08/2006, 04:44 PM
whats an x10 controller? what controller would you all recommend for an enaly? I have one coming in sometime this week. thanks

DrBDC
02/08/2006, 04:57 PM
X10 is on most aquairum controller packages out there. I don't mean like a ca controller or an orp controller but the all-in one packages. You don't have to use it on those controllers as you can use them as direct connect to what look like power strips. But many also offer X10 control which sends signals through the electrical system of the house so you can control lighting and other electrical equipment that are remote to the main aquarium controller.

Did I explain that or make it confusing sounding?

mikeguerrero
02/08/2006, 05:36 PM
My Sanders 50 mg/hr came in today from www.fishsupply.com they shipped nicely and had wonderful customer service.

The unit is very small and light, instructions are very easy, you have a rheostat to control ozone, then their is a plug for the AC adapter.

Next you have two metal openings one is to suck in air, the other to exhaust ozone to your skimmer.

It even has a cool looking light on top that glows when ozone is being produced, if the ozone is increased so is the intensity of the light.

You can even mount it on the wall next to all your controllers, which I plan on doing.

After visiting Sanders website, I learned they have a really cool,
Redoxpotential Meter that works nicely with the ozonizers, you just set the ozone to full blast and can control more precise the amount of ozone leaving the unit.

Sort of like the RedSea Deluxe version. So I called fishsupply to ask about the meter, he says they are expensive and will get me a price; just want to see what they cost; as I already have the Milwaukee SMS 510 ORP controller on order from back East.

This ozone unit was only $174.99 whereas I see the Aquamedics version just as much or even more expensive.

I also placed my order for Ozone resistant check valve and T connection from Marine Depot.

I ordered the 8 foot coralife ozone tubbing; I got that at webaquatics along with the 500 g RedSea airdryer.

To drive the air into my ozonizer I went with what many recommended on this thread, the Coralife Luft air pump. It also can be wall mounted and comes with a rheostat for air control and has extra filters for replacement when needed.

The redoxpotential meter from Sanders is $419 dollars and he told me it's for really large systems, overkill for my tiny 72 gallon reef.

Mike G

Bill and Elaine
02/08/2006, 05:58 PM
WOW....That's a great price for that Sanders unit.........wish I had found that on the web before I got the AquaMedic.........could have saved a few $$......we should all place links on here for the best prices on stuff that we buy to help others save money

FYI : The best price I could find on the Sanders 50mg was $237

clkwrk
02/08/2006, 07:38 PM
I will add for those who have been following that my sander unit is the older units . Not like the one pictured above so I am not positive if the performance is the same .

JFYI

DrBDC
02/08/2006, 07:49 PM
I have one of the older ones "in the mail" I bought on eBay. Should be hooking it up by this time next week.

clkwrk
02/08/2006, 08:25 PM
I like mine cause its easy to clean and user cleanable .

Perureef
02/09/2006, 01:02 AM
oh ok, thanks. so i should avoid a system controller and instead purchase a dedicated orp controller, right?

Psionicdragon
02/09/2006, 02:06 AM
How does putting carbon out in the open reduce the danger of the Ozone smell?

How much exposure does there need to be to get ill?

I reactivated the ozone after it has been off for 2 days and the smell is worst than ever. So I am a bit concern now.

DrBDC
02/09/2006, 05:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6700187#post6700187 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Perureef
oh ok, thanks. so i should avoid a system controller and instead purchase a dedicated orp controller, right?

I'm not sure where you got that idea other than the enaly units iterfere with X10. I use an Aquacontroller 3 so I just looked for a unit that didn't interfere. If you use the recommended DC modules it doesn't matter.

Psionicdragon
02/09/2006, 10:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6693982#post6693982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Grayout
Jeff,

I think somebody said it may work but they weren't sure. I would be concerned about the sufficient depletion of ozone prior to return.

Some on this thread have questioned the toxicity of the ozone generated by these units. They produce such a small amount, it is questionable whether or not it could be toxic.

Mainly, I think it's the unpleasant smell coming from the skimmate.

I completely agree the smell is unpleasant hehe. Its filling up my fish room and spreading out. I have to leave the windows open just to be safe.

Vampire2
02/10/2006, 01:52 AM
How do you guys adjust the luft pump? I just got it yesterday but i'm not sure how many should I set it.

mikeguerrero
02/10/2006, 11:36 AM
Dracula,

What are your other components, what type of Ozonizer, do you have an airdryer, how big, how much tubbing are you using, what type of skimmer?

All these are factors that will determine the setting on the luft pump....

MG

Vampire2
02/10/2006, 09:31 PM
I'm using the Aqua Ozoner 100g/h with the airdryer with 3/16" tubing and using T fitting with safety check valve at the airintake.

Bill and Elaine
02/10/2006, 10:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6714215#post6714215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vampire2
I'm using the Aqua Ozoner 100g/h with the airdryer with 3/16" tubing and using T fitting with safety check valve at the airintake.

100 g/h WOW !!!!!!!!!!! is your tank dead yet........ :-)

reptoreef
02/10/2006, 11:43 PM
As long as it's used on a controller or dialed downto a lower level per hour it should be good, right?

mikeguerrero
02/11/2006, 12:17 AM
Vamp,

We need you size tank and your skimmer, are you using the 500 g or 250 g dryer by redsea?

My skimmer is only rated to receive up to 50 mg/hr and nothing more.

Does yours go through a reactor all to itself?

MG

Vampire2
02/11/2006, 12:30 AM
Sorry to make you guys confue! I set only 5g/h for running 24 hours/day. I'm using Circulation HEA 150 GroTech HEA skimmer for the 150g tank. I'm using the dryer that come with the Red Sea Ozoner 100g/h.

ishmael
02/11/2006, 07:38 AM
mikeguerro---
I just recieved the Milwaukee SMS 510 ORP controller . It has a setting for MINIMUM orp....Isn't the risk that ORP goes to high? So this unit is not appropriate for use with ozonizers? It will turn on the ozonizer when the orp drops. Don't we need a controller that will turn OFF the ozonizer when the orp rises too high?
Maybe I am missing something. Just trying to follow this thread.

Fred_J
02/11/2006, 09:05 AM
The minimum ORP means that if it is below that amount it will turn on the ozonator and air pump to bring it up to that minimum amount. Think of it as the high point. It won't let the ozone get higher than that. It's just worded differently.
Fred

ishmael
02/11/2006, 09:31 AM
It will turn on the ozonizer and air pump to raise orp to the minimum. Then the unit will shut off....Got it....I think....
My scalp hurts.....
Thanks, Fred.

reptoreef
02/11/2006, 10:35 AM
I have the same unit... ORP goes below set-point(mine is around 390), controller turns on(flashing light). ORP is above set-point, controller turns ozone off(flashing light is out).

mikeguerrero
02/11/2006, 01:08 PM
Ishmael,

I get my unit this Wednesday so I cannot comment on it yet, but I do own the Milwaukee SMS 122 PH controller which acts the same way that both members have told you.

For the PH controller you set the dial on say 7.9 and then walk away. The controller will inject C02 into your reactor until the value hits 7.9 it will shut off the solenoid and the flashing light will shut off.

Then as the value goes abouve 7.9 say 8.0 it will turn the solenoid on and C02 will enter your reactor, thus you'll see the flashing light again.

The SMS 510 should run on those exact principles except it controls the ozone unit and watches for millivolts instead of PH.

Hope this helps out....

MG

reptoreef
02/11/2006, 01:30 PM
Exactly... I have the 122 for the co2 on my Ca Reactor as well.

Vampire2
02/11/2006, 01:36 PM
mikeguerrero

how many pressure should I set for the luft pump?

ishmael
02/11/2006, 02:03 PM
To Mike et al.
Thanks a lot. I am trying to do this alone and could not understand why Milwaukee would refer to an UPPER limit as a minimum. I am sure I will be back.....
--Ish

mikeguerrero
02/11/2006, 03:42 PM
Vamp,

I don't have my controller unit so I haven't set it up.... Once I do I'll let you know what setting I have my Luft pump on...

Ishmael,
I'll be here to answer your questions, don't worry. Milwaukee is a good product and it's very affordable.

MG

p.s
Can someone chime in and suggest a setting for Vamp???

Vampire2
02/11/2006, 07:43 PM
Any one.

disney95
02/11/2006, 08:40 PM
I have a enlay 300 it does 200g/h I can not stop the smell of ozone is there any thing I can do . I already have bought the coralife ozone reactor and also put it into my asm skimmer and put carbon on top of the lid. nothing works is it because I am pushing to much at one time if so what do I need to do to fix it.
thanks
glenn

Vampire2
02/11/2006, 09:27 PM
Put carbon in the bag and throw inside the skimmer not on the top. it maybe help IMO. I also smell the Ozoner at my skimmer but if i run couple hours then it won't smell it. I will try to throw a carbon bag inside the skimmer and see how it work.

jay24k
02/11/2006, 11:03 PM
Wouldn't that affect the amount of bubbles and the contact time in the skimmer? On your enlay, how much are you pushing in? You might only need less then 25% of that.

mikeguerrero
02/11/2006, 11:46 PM
Run carbon inside the filter sock of the return line of the skimmer. I have two bags of chemipure in there and that will extract any unwanted odors or gaseous that might enter your living room.

Mike G

Sicklid
02/12/2006, 07:37 AM
Some people drill a hole in the top side of their collection cup and T the line into the air line going into the skimmer so that the excess ozone is circled back into the skimmer.

disney95
02/12/2006, 10:40 AM
the enlay does 200g/h it does not have any way to adjust the flow from the unit .

Bill and Elaine
02/12/2006, 01:36 PM
Disney95: I had an Enlay too.....I got it because people on this thread said it was a good unit or the best buy for your money.....I had it for about a month and then it stopped working......in the time that it was running I got a terrible smell of ozone in the air......200mg is just too much.....after it crapped out I got a 100mg AquaMedic (made by Sanders).....I have it set to about 35% ( its adjustable)......no more ozone smell and my ORP stays at 385

Bill and Elaine
02/12/2006, 01:37 PM
Disney95: I had an Enlay too.....I got it because people on this thread said it was a good unit or the best buy for your money.....I had it for about a month and then it stopped working......in the time that it was running I got a terrible smell of ozone in the air......200mg is just too much.....after it crapped out I got a 100mg AquaMedic (made by Sanders).....I have it set to about 35% ( its adjustable)......no more ozone smell and my ORP stays at 385

I guess when it comes to ozone....you get what you pay for

jknecht
02/12/2006, 03:16 PM
I have the same problem with the Enaly OZX-300U unit. I smell Ozone all the time no matter how much carbon I use. I'll sell it for $60.00 including air dryer and shipping if anyone wants it. PM me if interested.

Kenfuzed
02/12/2006, 03:59 PM
I'm on the other side of the argument for using the Enaly unit. I believe that this unit may be over powered for smaller tanks. My unit is teed off to 2 different skimmers and neither has carbon on their exits. I can only smell the ozone if I stick my head under the stand. The unit is allowed to run 24/7 via a controller which allows constant regulation of my ORP rather than periodic doses. I think this may account for not smelling the ozone, since it comes on for very brief periods. I keep my ORP between 410 and 420 mv.

One more thing that has kept the ozone going into the skimmers and not into the air is using ozone safe tubing, fittings, and check valves. When I used regular air fittings and tubing I had alot of leakage and ozone smell.

Not saying that those on this thread have not done the same, just throwing in my own experience with the unit.

reptoreef
02/12/2006, 04:25 PM
So far so good on my system with the "on or off" unit... My controller keeps my ORP at around 390 and I also only smell ozone when I stick my head near the skimmer's sump while dosing.

disney95
02/12/2006, 04:53 PM
thanks for the info . I think I will sell it and by one that I can adjust. I have a 120gal. tank with a 40 gal sump do you think a 50 G/h unit will be fine since nobody runs there unit at max capacity.

Bill and Elaine
02/12/2006, 05:03 PM
Sanders recommends 25mg for up to 85 gal, 50mg up to 170gal, 100mg up to 340gal, 200mg up to 680gal.......if you run the unit with out an air drier you get about 50% of the capacity of the unit........I have a 110gal tank the reason I got the 100mg was simply that the 50mg's were out of stock........I didn't want to wait two weeks

Vampire2
02/12/2006, 05:54 PM
Any one got STN on the corals on the begin to use Onzoner. i got couple Stn on the corals since I started to use Ozoner. I started on the beginning only 5%mg/h for 24/7, now I adjustedfrom 8:00 am to 12:00am. Let see what happend on the corals.

steve68
02/12/2006, 07:13 PM
for the time i had my enaly unit runing i dint get any smell only water leak from water pump on the reactor, i dint smell any ozone & trust me u can smell it when it leaks,for the price it's a good buy but u have to have the right equipment to run it.

PITSTOP
02/12/2006, 07:46 PM
2 weeks after adding a 50 mg/h Red Sea Deluxe to my 120 display - 140 gallons total - running at 20-25 mg/hour:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/49365mini-OZONE_After.jpg

disney95
02/12/2006, 07:53 PM
nice clear tank pitstop thanks for the input

mikeguerrero
02/12/2006, 08:21 PM
Dracula,

You cannot be for sure if it's the ozone taking out your SPS. Do you have a controller connected to this unit?

You need to run carbon on the return line for the skimmer, making sure it catches any residual ozone that might go back to the main tank.

A lot of reefers say that below 50 mg/hr is not enough to see this type of death in the tank.

MG

mikeguerrero
02/12/2006, 08:21 PM
Check the beginning of this thread they talk about levels of ozone that are dangerous....

MG

ronc98
02/12/2006, 08:23 PM
I installed my Gen-x ozon generator last week. Ran it on its lowest setting and started with a ORP of 230 - it increased to about 280 over the week, I wanted to go slow. Noticed both of my feather dusters lost their tails so I stopped the ozone. I injected the ozone into my skimmer but I did not run it over carbon as it left the skimmer so I stopped the ozone until I get a carbon trap made for the skimmer.

I guess you really need carbon on the output. Everything else in my tank looks steller, it only effected the feather dusters.

mikeguerrero
02/12/2006, 08:25 PM
Ronc98,

Run some chemipure in your filter sock on the return line, it's better than carbon alone. Will absorp gaseous and odor.

MG

Fred_J
02/13/2006, 06:47 AM
I ordered an Enlay directly from www.enaly.com for my other tank ,or until/if Red Sea fixes my aquazone under warranty. Got the unit in less than five days drop shipped from china, received an email this morning checking to see if I everything was OK. What great customer service.
Fred

A.G
02/13/2006, 07:41 AM
Hi,

I just bought the RedSea Aqua Zone 50mg/h. How can I tell if the unit is working? It does not make any noise. Just the red light.

Also, how long is it going to take to clear my water? right now am using 25% injected into my ASM G2 ( No air pump is used ). I only run it for 2hr per day.

reptoreef
02/13/2006, 10:51 AM
any ozone smell from the discharge tube???

ronc98
02/13/2006, 10:54 AM
No Ozone smell from the discharge plus the ORP never made it above 280 at its max. So I am not sure if Ozone was the problem or not. I have the overflow filtering through a carbon trap now so In the next day or so I will fire the Ozone reactor back up.

A.G
02/13/2006, 09:46 PM
Any one?

Fred_J
02/13/2006, 10:06 PM
The only way I know of to tell if any ozoneator is working is to either take a whiff of the output watch the rise in ORP or see the crystal clear water. A.G. I would leave it on 24hrs per day for a few days. The ORP should then be at a much higher level. I do believe in using a controller. Someone who has used ozone on a particular tank with a set bioload may be able to stop using a controller because they know their machine, tank and bioload.

Fred

A.G
02/13/2006, 10:19 PM
Thank you Fred,

I will run it for few days (at 10%) and see what happens. No controller here since I only need it to clearfiy my water, so I will be using small doses every now and then :)

idua
02/14/2006, 08:39 AM
Is anyone using the Coralife Ozone Reactor? What pump/powerhead do you use to feed the reactor? I am wondering if a MaxiJet 1200/900 would provide sufficient flow.

Fred_J
02/14/2006, 09:42 AM
I used an old aquaclear one I had laying around. I believe the instructions call for a 80 to 200 gph unit. I throttled the aquaclear way back. It really does not require much flow.
Fred

technomex
02/14/2006, 02:14 PM
Can I see more pics of your ozone set-ups and of tanks using ozone. Also, when using ozone, do you just produce more skimmate or is it more concentrated?

mikeguerrero
02/14/2006, 03:03 PM
Okay Reefers,

All my items came in except for my 500 gram airdryer by RedSea... I will be photographing my setup in detail for other users to follow my lead; those that would like a Sanders via Milwaukee controller setup on a 72 gallon bowfront...

Mike G

Kenfuzed
02/14/2006, 03:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6729280#post6729280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by A.G
Hi,

I just bought the RedSea Aqua Zone 50mg/h. How can I tell if the unit is working? It does not make any noise. Just the red light.

Also, how long is it going to take to clear my water? right now am using 25% injected into my ASM G2 ( No air pump is used ). I only run it for 2hr per day. I'm not familiar with that particular unit but if there is no noise or smell I would double check that it's working. I would think there should be even the slightest noise if there is a built-in air pump. If your unit doesn't have one built-in, then make sure your external air pump is set for the correct output.

Kenfuzed
02/14/2006, 03:46 PM
Also... running any ozone reactor without knowing your ORP is asking for trouble. Looking at the clarity of the water won't tell you anything since the clarity only comes once the oxidation process has started. Your Orp reading could reach 500+ before the clarity starts to kick in, and by then you've overdosed your tank. Stability is far more important than clarity, so having a constant low Orp reading is better than having huge swings up and down by spot dosing.

JMO, but if you can't afford a meter or controller, then you shouldn't run ozone until you can run it properly. Ozone is a great tool for water clarification, but used unchecked could be very hazardous. Not only could you risk the loss of your animals but in an extreme scenario (forget to turn off the ozone) you could experience respiratory problems if enough escapes into the air. May sound extreme but such risks should be considered above just wanting clean looking water. This isn't directed at anyone in particular. Just wanted to put this out since I often read about those taking shortcuts.

ronc98
02/14/2006, 03:59 PM
One of my feather dusters came back out today so it does not look as bad as I first thought. I thought they both lost their shed their tail but I guess not. ORP is a stable 290 right now, I am going to start up the reactor again with a on time of two hours and a ORP setpoint of 320 and see how it looks.

wonk
02/14/2006, 07:07 PM
What do you all think of Pinpoint ORP monitors?

I'm thinking of this unit

pinpoint ORP controller (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AM1313)

Fred_J
02/14/2006, 09:56 PM
I think pinpoint has a better reputation and is a quality unit. I just bought a milwaukee because it was cheaper and will not be used in my main tank.

A.G --- the Aqua zone is completely silent even when running properly (external air pump).

Fred

mikeguerrero
02/15/2006, 10:02 AM
Hey Reefers,

I've been doing a lot of research regarding Ozone in the last three weeks, tons to be found on here, thanks RC. I decided in an attempt to help my Acros out I need more water purification and what better way to do that than with Ozone.

Since my skimmer is rated to receive and handle ozone I decided to start the process; here is a list of my equipment that I put together to make this project work.

Here they are:

All the components.
http://i1.*******.com/nvqmmw.jpg

Coralife 8ft norprene ozone safe tubbing.
http://i1.*******.com/nvqmpj.jpg

Hagan elite check valve and T fitting ozone safe.
http://i1.*******.com/nvqmv8.jpg

Coralife luft air pump ozone safe.
http://i1.*******.com/nvqmxe.jpg

Sanders 50mg/hr ozonizer.
http://i1.*******.com/nvqn36.jpg

Milwuakee SMS 510 ORP controller
http://i1.*******.com/nvqn4h.jpg

Controller in place
http://i1.*******.com/nvqnap.jpg

I spoke to Milwaukee tech support and they let me know not to connect my controller until Saturday. They let me know that I must run the probe for at least 5 days to stabalize the accuracy of the unit.

He told me not even to look at the values in MV on the screen as they will flucuate like crazy as the unit begins to stabalize.

He was right, man did it jump all over the place and this morning it read 241 MV, which when I went to bed was at 119 MV.

My redsea 500g air dryer has not come in yet, hopefully today at work.

MG

technomex
02/15/2006, 10:24 AM
Sweet set-up Mike.

A.G
02/15/2006, 12:18 PM
Kenfuzed,
I understand what you are trying to say. But am only using very small amount few houers a day I dont think such small concentartion will harm any thing. Am only at 5% right now and am not going to dial it up untill I save some cash to get the controller. but hey thanks for the tip.

Fred, I thought mine wasn't working because Its completely silent. Thanks.

A.G

ronc98
02/15/2006, 12:27 PM
What kind of change do yuo guys see in your ORP readings through out the day. I see a 25 to 30 point drop during feeding and it takes almost a day for it to recover. This drop is when I am not dosing ozone.

DrBDC
02/15/2006, 12:49 PM
I go between 335 and 365 w/o ozone.

mikeguerrero
02/15/2006, 09:50 PM
Hey guys,

I came home from work at about 7pm and my tank is running PH 8.3 and my ORP was at 273 mv.

I proceeded to feed my fish pellets and then some flakes, in about 10 minutes I checked the ORP and it started to drop and hit 261 mv and now it's starting to go back up.

I'm suppose to wait till at least Saturday to make sure the ORP is fully ready to dispense ozone correctly.

I'm wondering how high my ORP will go before I run the Ozone?

Mike G

mikeguerrero
02/16/2006, 01:26 AM
Hey Ozone fanatics,

Can anyone share how high their ORP controllers reached before the addition of Ozone to the tank.

I'm looking to compare and contrast ORP values prior to the injection of any ozone.

Please mention just ORP value, tank size, and skimmer. For study purposes just these three factors.

You might have to think hard what you remember it climbing to and stablizing before you got impatient and blasted ozone into the reefs.

I'll go first:

ORP 273
Tank 72 gallon bowfront
AP600 Deltec

I won't know my absolute ORP value until Saturday but I just wanted to get the values going.

Thanks,

Mike G

vmichael
02/16/2006, 06:04 AM
Mine was already calibrated. I don't worry about it too much.
Except to clean the probe in vinegar every other week.

ronc98
02/16/2006, 07:05 AM
I see a 20 to 30 point drop sometimes over the coarse of the day. I believe this is normal. I am not sure what how stable it will be when I start dosing ozone

mikeguerrero
02/16/2006, 09:14 AM
Ronc98,

Do you remember what your Highest ORP reading has been since it sounds like you haven't injected ozone?

I'm looking for that value, plus your skimmer type and tank size.

MG

ronc98
02/16/2006, 09:23 AM
Highest ORP before dosing has been 290. I will begin dosing ORP again tonight was I stall my carbon trap on the skimmers output.

mikeguerrero
02/16/2006, 09:32 AM
Ronc98,

Can I get tank size and skimmer too? I'm compiling data for analysis...

thanks,

MG

reptoreef
02/16/2006, 09:49 AM
ORP 320
Tank size 55 display, 55 fuge, 22 sump
skimmer ASM Gx1 recirc mod

Fred_J
02/16/2006, 10:21 AM
DrBDC-- That is a good reading. It's supposed to mean your husbandry habits a very good. That or an unusually light bioload.
Contraindications.

mikeguerrero--Good idea. Mine is going to be without ozone for 6 months (just starting to dose again, high nitrates and want clearer water).
Fred

ORP 271
Tank 55G sump 20L
Euroreef CS6-2+ Gate valve mod.

mikeguerrero
02/16/2006, 12:52 PM
Reptoreef and Fred_J thanks for the data...

This morning before I went to work I peeked into the cabinet and my ORP is at 300 mv and holding strong...

Wow, I wonder what it will climb up to... My water is really sparkly and I haven't even started Ozone.

I've read that Ozone will even shine up a already sparkly tank more than the best carbons...

Man I can hardly wait... I'm hoping Ozone will help color up my SPS even greater, as they are just normal in color not too vibrant.

Mike G

ronc98
02/16/2006, 12:56 PM
Tank size is 240 with a 200 sump
skimmer is a DIY 12" X 32" dual needle wheel recirc feed by overflow tank water.

mikeguerrero
02/16/2006, 01:17 PM
Ronc,

Thanks for the data,,, anyone else want to share?

ronc98
02/16/2006, 07:34 PM
How fast do you see a rise in ORP when dosing ozone

mikeguerrero
02/16/2006, 11:20 PM
Ronc,

I don't know that yet as I haven't fired up the Sanders unit; that will be over the weekend since my airdryer failed to come in.

Can someone else chime in and answer Ronc98....????

Vampire2
02/16/2006, 11:31 PM
Couple hours.

reptoreef
02/17/2006, 10:07 AM
Depends on the amount dosed and the size of the system... it can be pretty quick. IMO, going about 20 per day until the desired point is reached would be best.

jay24k
02/17/2006, 10:56 AM
Is the sanders supposed to be better then the red sea? The redsea unit seems to be cheaper.

Bill and Elaine
02/17/2006, 12:03 PM
Personal......I like the Sanders ( AquaMedic ) Ozone generators better than Red Sea......from what I understand the Red Sea's have no serviceable parts on the inside.....once it breaks down .....your out of luck.........The Sanders units can be taken apart and cleaned......just my two cents worth

jay24k
02/17/2006, 12:29 PM
Ok cool. I'll have to check that one out.

Thanks.

mikeguerrero
02/17/2006, 01:07 PM
Jay24k,

I read and and asked a lot of questions before I decided on my Sanders 50mg/hr unit over RedSea Deluxe 50mg/hr.

Knowing that it's a German product you know it's quality. I own all Deltec Filtration and I wouldn't go with anything else after the performance I've seen.

Jay, the all in one units are nice; they simplify a lot of things however there are drawbacks.

If the unit goes out, 9 times out of 10 the whole thing is down. If my sanders goes out, I can repair it and in the meantime I can still use my controller to monitor my ORP.

Take a look at my pics that I posted of the equipment for my setup.

I should be getting my airdryer this Wed then I should connect everything.

Just running my ORP without Ozone, this morning I have climbed to 322 mv ORP. That is awesome...

Milwaukee told me to run the ORP for at least 5 days before I connect anything to it.

He's right, my ORP is still calculating, as you see from my first post a much lower 244 MV ORP.

Hope that helps out...

Mike G

Fred_J
02/18/2006, 02:19 AM
I agree with Bill and Elaine , I bought the Red Sea 100 deluxe for my main tank (I still need to send it back for warranty repair). The next tank got a Enlay with a Milwaukee controller and the luft air pump.
Fred

mikeguerrero
02/18/2006, 08:45 PM
Update,

ORP reading has finally maxed out at 326 mv... I would love to run the Ozonizer now, since it's a long weekend, but I'm reluctant because my airdryer is not here it will arrive on Wednesday.

Any recommendations if I should wait until Wed, making sure dry air is going through the sanders unit?

I have placed the ozone unit in place but haven't wired it yet, here are two pics:

http://i1.*******.com/o0qvsn.jpg

http://i1.*******.com/o0qw00.jpg

MG

mikeguerrero
02/18/2006, 09:07 PM
Being that my ORP is 326 mv without Ozone, I took some pics of my reef so we may compare a before and after shot.

Here are the before pics:

http://i1.*******.com/o0rxpz.jpg

http://i1.*******.com/o0rsjq.jpg

http://i1.*******.com/o0ru4y.jpg

http://i1.*******.com/o0ruih.jpg

disney95
02/18/2006, 10:30 PM
hey mikeguerrero how do you like your chevron tang I just ordered one should get it next week

Fred_J
02/19/2006, 01:06 AM
Mike that is a fantastic tank. Wait until your water turns completely invisible.
Fred

Vampire2
02/19/2006, 01:29 AM
Mike,

Nice tank.

reptoreef
02/19/2006, 02:20 AM
Here's a link to my 55 on a short video clip...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3730997922388672336

There are a couple of more there and I just uploaded another.

Jason

loc01
02/19/2006, 02:35 AM
Mike, which one is before and after? I don't see any differences, can you point out the diff.?

Thanks,
Loc

mikeguerrero
02/19/2006, 02:52 AM
Loc,

I haven't posted any pictures of after; as I just started the Ozone about 1 hour ago... The pics you see are without ozone, just my powerful skimmer keeping my water crystal clear...

Next post will be my setup...

loc01
02/19/2006, 03:02 AM
Thanks Mike, sorry for not reading the whole thread, no wonder I couldn't find any diff., your tank looks very nice btw.

Loc

mikeguerrero
02/19/2006, 03:12 AM
Well,

Here is a step by step process on me connecting my Sanders 50 mg/hr onto my Deltec AP 600 skimmer:

Remove collection cup for easy access to air intake valve
http://i1.*******.com/o10h74.jpg

Cut small piece of effluent tubing to join air intake valve with ozone safe tubing
http://i1.*******.com/o10her.jpg

Connect ozone safe tubing to ozone safe T connector
http://i1.*******.com/o10iys.jpg

Place T connector onto modified air intake valve
http://i1.*******.com/o10j68.jpg

Make sure you firmly insert tubes to both ends
http://i1.*******.com/o10jdu.jpg

Connect ozone safe tubing to the output of the Sanders unit
http://i1.*******.com/o10jmt.jpg

Connect ozone safe air check valve to ozone safe T connector
http://i1.*******.com/o10jtk.jpg

Make sure all connections are in place and set the dial on the ozonizer to 25% - 50%
http://i1.*******.com/o10k1v.jpg

The sanders unit has a blinking green light in the center that reflects how much ozone is being administered via the rheostat knob
http://i1.*******.com/o10kdh.jpg

Set the Coralife luft pump to desired setting; #2 for my system
http://i1.*******.com/o10kkh.jpg

mikeguerrero
02/19/2006, 02:33 PM
Woke up this morning, ORP is at 344 mv, I'm shooting for about 380 mv.

MG

reptoreef
02/19/2006, 06:43 PM
Sweet arrangment... very well organized.

DrBDC
02/19/2006, 08:12 PM
Is that a DC8 for an aquacontroller I see? If so, why the different ORP controller?

Bill and Elaine
02/19/2006, 09:17 PM
DrBDC : this is what he has

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/

mikeguerrero
02/19/2006, 11:26 PM
DrBDC,

With my setup, I'm a strong believer in individuality for each instrument; when something goes wrong I can detect it quicker and replace it.

When you have the all in one units, if something does give, it can take down multiple controllers or sensors until you fix the bad unit.

My Reefkeeper controls water current via three maxi jets and my lights and my chiller.

I then have two separate controllers for my PH and my ORP.

Hope that helps out...

MG

kirstenk
02/19/2006, 11:33 PM
You should take a side view "before and after" pic. That is where I really saw a difference in water clarity.

mikeguerrero
02/20/2006, 12:44 AM
Kristen,

Thanks for the insight, the day I snapped those pics, I also happened to snap a couple on the side, here is one:

http://i1.*******.com/o6is93.jpg

Remember that my tank is a bowfront so there is some distortion in the picture; however, we are looking for clarity.

MG

idua
02/20/2006, 08:13 AM
I just finished my ozone setup over the weekend and I am wondering whether ozone is going to affect things like Phyto (i.e. DT’s Phytoplankton)? Should I turn it off for few hours when I add it to the tank?

Fred_J
02/20/2006, 08:34 AM
I would turn it off for awhile if feeding live food that can get into the sump.
Fred

bkelley02
02/20/2006, 03:09 PM
I was just going to post a question asking what people are getting for ORP readings. I know we should ultimately go for what makes the tank look best and animals happiest, but I've been seeing my ORP creep up without Ozone the past few days. Peaked at 402 today with no ozone running. Are others getting similar readings?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6773785#post6773785 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikeguerrero
Update,

ORP reading has finally maxed out at 326 mv... I would love to run the Ozonizer now, since it's a long weekend, but I'm reluctant because my airdryer is not here it will arrive on Wednesday.

MG

DrBDC
02/20/2006, 03:14 PM
I don't have mine in yet and I hit 403 right as lights were just coming on today. My actinics come on first for a couple hours and the ORP usually peaks sometime during them and when the mh's come on it starts a slow descent to the 370's. I'm just coming up on 2 weeks for the probe in the tank. I'm ordering some calibration solution even though they state you don't have to.

bkelley02
02/20/2006, 03:19 PM
DrBDC - we're right around the same area then. I don't creep down quite as far but still pretty close. I could only get to about 360 last week and then I had a die off of some Chicken Liver sponge. Since then, things have been going up and the water has never looked better. Wondering if it was going through a slow death that wasn't noticeable until it was too late. Since that though, I have a black cyano on some of the tube corals that doesn't want to let go.:uzi:

Bill and Elaine
02/20/2006, 05:03 PM
If your getting reading over 400mv with out running ozone all that much.......your probe is dirty......you need to soak it in vinegar...once a week

DrBDC
02/20/2006, 06:05 PM
Mine is only 2 weeks old. I'll try it though while I wait for my calibration solutions. I'm a big water changer though so I would imagine that I'm on the high end anyway. I do about a 20% change per week as well as skim about 5-10 gallons per week.

bkelley02
02/20/2006, 06:08 PM
I'll clean it again, but I just did on Thursday night. Seemed unlikely that the ORP would be that high on it's own. I can dream though can't I? :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6786793#post6786793 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bill and Elaine
If your getting reading over 400mv with out running ozone all that much.......your probe is dirty......you need to soak it in vinegar...once a week

mikeguerrero
02/20/2006, 08:00 PM
What type of ORP monitors do you guys have? Mine is the Milwaukee SMS 510 controller and it had to run 5 days straight before it gave me a accurate reading without ozone.

Mine peaked at 326 mv before it would no longer climb. When I turned on the Ozone I have reached a 380 mv tops.

I'm injecting 50 mg/hr and my tank is only 72 gallons.

I'd have to agree that having 400 mv without any ozone is a error on the probes part.

When you mix new saltwater via water changes, the mv on this water is anywhere from 200 to 250 mv. So placing it in your water will not raise ORP it will bring it down until it stablizes, it will creep back up.

Here are pics of my gradual climb to 380 mv with the aid of ozone:

http://i1.*******.com/o85g6b.jpg

http://i1.*******.com/o85hl1.jpg

MG

bkelley02
02/20/2006, 08:10 PM
I'm using the same one. I just tried to use the calibration fluid and it's like black sludge. Hasn't expired but can't be right. Even had trouble getting it off the probe. :mad2:

mikeguerrero
02/20/2006, 08:23 PM
bkelley02,

Do you have the controller or the monitor unit? I assume you have a controller like me.

You are not suppose to calibrate these units with liquid, they are factory set and the adjustment period is placing the probe in your tank the day it arrives.

You are then to walk away and not look at the display until day 5, at the time your unit will have a strong indication of the mv in your tank.

At this time, you may connect your controller to your ozone unit.

Regarding the black sludge that built around your probe, I don't know what liquid you are using?

MG

DrBDC
02/20/2006, 09:02 PM
On the Aquacontroller orp monitors they tell you up to 2 weeks.

DrBDC
02/20/2006, 09:06 PM
In a way I am running ozone in the room. I have an air purification unit which produces 565 mg/hour but I have 1 plate removed. So I'm making 280ish but in the room in general which is also the furnace room on the other half. So my air pump is getting a lower amount just from it's intake and I guess to some degree even the surface movment of the large sump is probably mixing some in as well. I still want to check it with an orp calibration solution before I totally believe it.

bkelley02
02/21/2006, 06:26 AM
I do have the same controller as you and I had left the probe in the water for about 2-3 weeks now. I cleaned it again last night and will leave it alone until the weekend and see what it says then.

The black sludge was in the Milwaukee calibration fluid. It took a good 5 minutes for me to get it all off the probe when I took it out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6788848#post6788848 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikeguerrero
bkelley02,

Do you have the controller or the monitor unit? I assume you have a controller like me.

You are not suppose to calibrate these units with liquid, they are factory set and the adjustment period is placing the probe in your tank the day it arrives.

You are then to walk away and not look at the display until day 5, at the time your unit will have a strong indication of the mv in your tank.

At this time, you may connect your controller to your ozone unit.

Regarding the black sludge that built around your probe, I don't know what liquid you are using?

MG

thrlride
02/21/2006, 01:40 PM
What was everyones reason for purchasing ozone? Was it the clarity, the better light penetration, less dissovled organics etc?

Seems to be a lot of benefits for not too bad of a price.

In other words, I need convincing. :) What is going to happen to my tank if I buy a setup?

mikeguerrero
02/21/2006, 02:45 PM
Thrlride,

To all of the above, the answer would be, YES !!!

Mike G

thrlride
02/21/2006, 02:52 PM
Is the Red Sea Aqua Zone Deluxe Ozonizer a decent unit?

Does that unit require a controller?

idua
02/21/2006, 03:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6794327#post6794327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thrlride
Is the Red Sea Aqua Zone Deluxe Ozonizer a decent unit?

Does that unit require a controller?

In the Delux version the controller is built in. It also comes with the ORP probe and the air dryer.

mikeguerrero
02/21/2006, 04:17 PM
Thrlride,

That particular model comes as a all in one unit; you get the ozonizer, controller and airdryer.

All you do is plug and watch...

MG

grochmal
02/22/2006, 10:30 AM
How frequently do you guys change out the carbon that you run your ozonated water over?
Weekly, monthly?

mikeguerrero
02/22/2006, 12:01 PM
Grochmal,

If you use chemipure, you can change it out once a month; chemipure works anywhere from 1 to 6 months of time.

Some users of ozone don't run the carbon and don't have problems at all.

I run it as a safety precaution only.

MG

Bill and Elaine
02/22/2006, 12:10 PM
I use a small bad of Kent Reef Carbon......I was told by the store that I got it from.....to change it once a month

mikeguerrero
02/22/2006, 12:43 PM
Bill,

I've always wondered about the Kent marine carbon. On the package it says you only need to use very little as it's very potent stuff.

Do you fill up a small micron bag and drop it inside the return sock from the skimmer?

MG

thrlride
02/22/2006, 12:45 PM
I decided not to get the red sea deluxe unit and will probably get the enaly unit. I also just purchased the SMS510 controller from Milwaukee. Hopefully it will arrive by Friday since they are within two hours of me.

jay24k
02/22/2006, 12:55 PM
Question for you all.

I'm running a ASM G3 and the air pulls in pretty good from the pump. Do you need a luft pump? Wouldn't the ozone automatically push through the tubing plus being pulled in via suction?

If it is 50/hr, wouldn't it still be 50 per hour no matter how much air you pushed through?

thrlride
02/22/2006, 01:31 PM
Hey, where have I seen you before?

jay24k
02/22/2006, 01:32 PM
Somewhere monkeying around!

thrlride
02/22/2006, 01:34 PM
I'm actually curious about the air pump as well. The enaly unit I am looking at has a built in pump and I believe gettingfeisty disabled hers and noticed no change.

I see the check valve at marinedepot, where can you get the t fitting?

Bill and Elaine
02/22/2006, 01:50 PM
mikeguerrero: I use a small amount of carbon on the tube that dumps into the sump from my G3 Skimmer......I have the gate valve mod.......... the carbon is in a small bag...I dont think it a micon bag......just a carbon bag...its a kind of mesh

brandon0350
02/22/2006, 02:01 PM
i said i was going to put ozone on my 60 cube and some guy said i was crazy for using it on a tank that small. is my tank to small. i already bought the controller and want to know if i should return it

disney95
02/22/2006, 02:15 PM
which enlay you getting I would watch out using the enlay unless you have a good ozone reactor that can handle that volume because there is no way to adjust the amount of ozone. I have a enlay 300 and it does 200 mg/h and I had to stop using it because it was no way of stopping the smell of ozone. all the other units will let you adjust and if you notice nobody runs there units at 100%

thrlride
02/22/2006, 02:36 PM
Why does it matter if installed with a controller?

brandon0350
02/22/2006, 02:45 PM
should i run ozone in a 60 gallon without a controller?

jay24k
02/22/2006, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't brandon.

Pumping 200mg/hr will raise ozone much faster which I would think make the tank less stable. Granted if you clean your orp probe constantly, then you would never have to worry about overdose. Also I wonder how fast the orp would detect a rise in ozone.

For example, If I dose super fast at 200mg/h, does the controller read the water correctly? It seems the orp probes take a little time to get the right reading.

brandon0350
02/22/2006, 02:58 PM
i was thining of doing the smallest available i think its a 50mg/h shold i just scratch the whole idea of ozone?

kmagyar
02/22/2006, 03:12 PM
Anyone running an aquamedic ozone generator with x10s on a ac2? I just ordered one and forgot to ask this question. I was going to get en enaly but read earlier in this post that they don't work too well with x10s.

Keith

Fred_J
02/22/2006, 03:22 PM
I don't think any tank id too small for ozone. I use it on my 75 and 55. I guess on a 20g you would have to be real careful not to let it raise too fast. Try to remember you only have to worry about too rapid a raise the first time. after that it will be handled by the high and low control of the controller.
I bought the 100 red sea deluxe because it was only a few dollars more than the 50. I then goy the Enlay which is 200. supposedly no one needs a pump on a skimmer if a tee id used and the skimmer is a Venturi model. I had trouble with my ER because it was pulling air through the 500mg air dryer and the ozonator. I am real picky about funning my skimmer just right, that id why I went for the luft pump. Now on the Enlay the pump will not be strong enough to run in a reactor. You can take it apart ang bypass the pump with the luft. It would be better to get one without the pump IME.

disney95
02/22/2006, 05:46 PM
I do not think you should scratch it I just want to make sure you get the right one for you . sometime saving money on something cost more in the long run. a lot of people like the enlay you just need to make sure you have the right equipmet to run it . I learned the hard way.

jay24k
02/22/2006, 06:11 PM
Does anyone think my G3 will be able to handle the ozone intake without the luft air pump?

thrlride
02/22/2006, 06:34 PM
What would the right equipment be?

Also, where to get the T fitting for the venturi skimmer?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6803448#post6803448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by disney95
I do not think you should scratch it I just want to make sure you get the right one for you . sometime saving money on something cost more in the long run. a lot of people like the enlay you just need to make sure you have the right equipmet to run it . I learned the hard way.

s10willy
02/22/2006, 06:36 PM
Can't you just run the ouput of the skimmer through a bag of activated carbon? I thought the point of running carbon after the reactor, or skimmer in this case, was to ensure that no ozone made it into the tank.

mikeguerrero
02/22/2006, 06:40 PM
You can always try to run a ozonizer without a airpump, but if you start to hear the skimmer gasping for air, you need to get the Luft pump.

I own the luft pump and it's an incredible pump....

MG

s10willy
02/22/2006, 06:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6803740#post6803740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thrlride
Also, where to get the T fitting for the venturi skimmer?

Will this work from Marine Depot? I have read that it is ozone safe.

Hagen Elite Tee (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HG11185)

liquidfunk
02/22/2006, 07:44 PM
For those with Aqua Controllers or other X10 units, the Pacific Coast Imports unit works beautifully. Doesnt mess with X10 signal and at $100 or so for 250mg/hr its perfect!

Bill and Elaine
02/22/2006, 08:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6802297#post6802297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmagyar
Anyone running an aquamedic ozone generator with x10s on a ac2? I just ordered one and forgot to ask this question. I was going to get en enaly but read earlier in this post that they don't work too well with x10s.

Keith

I have an AquaMedic 100mg Ozone Generator on an X10 with a AquaController II.......the ozone generator turns on and off just fine......

Bill and Elaine
02/22/2006, 08:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6803605#post6803605 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jay24k
Does anyone think my G3 will be able to handle the ozone intake without the luft air pump?

I'm running Ozone into my G3 with a luft pump.......I don't think the skimmer will just " Pull it in " with out effecting the performance of the skimmer.......Granted the Venturi is sucking air in.......but what happens when you put more hose on it ???? You get less air flow and less bubbles !!

jay24k
02/22/2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks. Gonna have to get my order together.

I'm going to order the sanders unit, ozone safe check valve, tubing, and the luft pump right? Could I get away without a drier? I'd hate to have to keep recharging it if I didn't have to.

mrcrab
02/22/2006, 11:28 PM
With the humidity in FL...I'd get the larger drier.

You can run it without, but the generator will only run at about 1/2 the efficiency.

I've had mine going with a 250g drier for about 2 months now. The drier is due to be recharged for the 2nd time. From what others have told me, the more you recharge the shorter the recharging time.

mikeguerrero
02/23/2006, 12:38 AM
My air dryer by Red Sea arrived today. I decided to go with the 500g version since I didn't want to change out the beads so often.

The connection is easy and I was able to plug and play within minutes. The unit looks of high quality construction and well worth the money I paid for it.

I hope to see the ORP go above my highest reading 387 mv.

Here are some pictures of my air dryer and where I placed it in my cabinet:

http://i1.*******.com/of7hx4.jpg

http://i1.*******.com/of7i1j.jpg

http://i1.*******.com/of7i9f.jpg

Mike G

Fred_J
02/23/2006, 01:43 AM
Mike
What kind of cabinet is your equipment in. I thought it looked like the controllers etc were mounted to a wall. Sorry, but I can't get over how neat everything is. My stuff is a complete mess compared to yours. You are making me redo all my wiring this weekend. LOL Is it possible to get a picture from a little farther back.
Thanks
Fred

mikeguerrero
02/23/2006, 02:02 AM
Fred,

Thanks for the compliment on my setup. You are right the back is my wall, as most cabinets are not sealed in the back.

I have about 1 inch play in the back for air to vent in and out. I just carefully placed all my items in an order that I could easily correct if I have a malfunction.

I have a complete thread that documents my beginning to where I am currently.

Here is my thread, just jump to the page that has the pictures of when I was setting up the filtration.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64774

Mike G

idua
02/23/2006, 12:16 PM
Is anybody else having problem adjusting the water level/pressure in their Coralife Ozone Reactor? It seems that every time I get the level just right few hours later the levels change. I am using a cheap valve on the output line from the reactor so I am suspecting that it is causing the problem but I don’t know where I can find something descent and ozone resistant. I think that a needle valve would the best but again I don’t know where I can get one.

grochmal
02/23/2006, 12:25 PM
For those that run their ozonated water over carbon, do you recommend the water actually run through the carbon media or is it good enough to simply run over top of a bag of it?

wonk
02/23/2006, 02:47 PM
I'm a little confused in the airdrying issue w/ ozone. . . I hearing what I think is conflicting information.

One one hand I hear that if you do not use an air drier, the effect is to make your ozonator about 50% as efficient, but that's the only problem (So you could compensate for this loss by using a 2x larger unit then you need).

On the other hand, I hearing that you loose this 50% AND there are chemical processes that occurs because of the water/ozone reaction that cause bad chemicals like bleach to end up in your tank. . .

can anyone clarify this?

grochmal
02/23/2006, 03:15 PM
Are you referring to the nitric acid that can be/is formed when humid air is passed through the generator?
Do a quick search on google for "ozone generator nitric acid" and you will come up with a bunch of articles to read.
I think the main issue with it is that it will damage the generator and cause premature failure.

Bill and Elaine
02/23/2006, 03:45 PM
I've heard that if you don't run an air drier......you get a chemical reaction that put a by product similar to bleach into you tank ( in very small doses ) a lot of people don't use air driers....Ima playing it safe....I have one

mikeguerrero
02/23/2006, 06:01 PM
I'm with Bill, all other user inject Ozone at your own risk....

MG

grochmal
02/24/2006, 08:15 PM
Just to let everyone know, I contacted Hagen about their Elite airline T to find out if it is ozone safe.
They said that it is not.

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=101&PROD_ID=01011850020101

mikeguerrero
02/24/2006, 08:59 PM
Jeff,

That's really odd because I spoke with Marine Depot exclusively before I purchased them, I asked if they were Ozone safe, and they said yes.

Here is the link on their website that says it in print:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_air_pumps_hagen_check_control_valve_tee.asp?CartId=

Trust me that I will phone them tommorrow to verify your claim. I'll post very soon to conclude my findings.

MG

grochmal
02/24/2006, 09:15 PM
If you look closely, it says the check valve is ozone safe but the "T" connector doesn't say that.
If Marine Depot's customer service is claiming it, then they should get in contact with Hagen customer service to verify.

mikeguerrero
02/24/2006, 09:46 PM
Jeff,

I know that it doesn't say that on their website. I was placed on hold for them to verify that claim. Five minutes later they came back and assured me that it was.

I would never purchase or even less place a T fitting that doesn't meet the standards of reef keeping.

I called Marine depot but they are closed; at 8am I'm going to talk to their manager as I have my receipt and a copy of this thread.

Can you give me the person or email you spoke with at Hagen? I'd really like to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,

Mike G

grochmal
02/24/2006, 10:00 PM
Just sent you a PM

mikeguerrero
02/25/2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks Jeff,

I sent you a return PM...

Bill and Elaine
02/25/2006, 12:08 PM
For Ozone safe fittings and Tubing I go to...USPlastics.com , Heres a link to PVDF fittings that are Ozone safe

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=6915&Page=1

Perureef
02/25/2006, 01:21 PM
how would i clean a milwaukee orp controller probe, and how often should i do this? will it take a while to calibrate after every cleanup?

mikeguerrero
02/25/2006, 01:58 PM
Some say dip it in pure vinegar, once per week.

I have mine clearly hidden from direct light and will clean it as I start to see that the MV are way off.

MG

Perureef
02/25/2006, 03:02 PM
thanks. is that white wine vinegar, or any type? but then again mine is hidden from light as well, so i guess its a matter of avoiding deposits, (coralline, etc.), right? i have it in my small sump, but the current within the sump due to overflow, return pump, and skimmer pump/return is crazy. this i assume will give my sump slightly elevated oxygen levels relative to the main tank, right? so will the affect my orp readings, or is it simply a matter of how much crap (reducers) i have in my water? thanks

mikeguerrero
02/25/2006, 04:54 PM
Perureef,

Each reefer is an author of his reef. Some will place their ORP meter in the sump, others will place it in the main display.

With experience comes knowledge; find out how many use it in the sump with positive results.

I happen to keep all meters in my main display hidden from light behind my rock work about 6 inches from the surface.

I believe in having my meters and controllers respond to my main tank not to my changes in the sump; for me their are about 1-2 degrees in temp alone between my sump and my display.

When I measure for ORP I want the organics in my main tank to be read not my sump. Therefore allowing my controllers to promptly react to sudden changes in display.

All my critters are in my display and they are my respondsibility. Which ever works for you, document your trials and errors so others can learn.

JMO,

MG

clkwrk
02/25/2006, 05:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6810460#post6810460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bill and Elaine
I've heard that if you don't run an air drier......you get a chemical reaction that put a by product similar to bleach into you tank ( in very small doses ) a lot of people don't use air driers....Ima playing it safe....I have one

Never heard of that . Can you point one in the right dirrection to read it ?

I read that if excess ozone isn't blown off by carbon it can produce chrorine or bromine can't remeber off hand.

clkwrk
02/25/2006, 05:51 PM
okay I found it . By not using an airdrier when conditions are humid or moist it can create nitric acid inside the unit.

Perureef
02/25/2006, 10:53 PM
thanks for the info, you're right mike, i guess thats the move. it will be a long term trial i guess since the meters take a while to calibrate. i can start by posting the question: does anyone notice any difference in making the orp readings in the sump? please let me know your experiences, thanks

mikeguerrero
02/26/2006, 02:45 AM
Perureef,

Seems like you have a similiar tank to mine, 72 gal bowfront, is this right?

Any pics of your tank so far?

MG

bkelley02
02/26/2006, 08:22 AM
Seems to be a popular tank. :D That's what I have too.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6829513#post6829513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikeguerrero
Perureef,

Seems like you have a similiar tank to mine, 72 gal bowfront, is this right?

Any pics of your tank so far?

MG

ronc98
02/26/2006, 10:19 AM
What did your skimmate look like once you started running ozone? Mine has turned into a very very dark slurry almost like coal.

Richreef
02/26/2006, 10:44 AM
Ronc98,

You are right !, The ozone improve the skimmer performance and the skimmate turn clotted and dark.

kneival
02/26/2006, 11:09 AM
This thread has been a great read!

Im having some problems setting up my ozone unit...

I bought an ORP controller on friday, the probe came wet in calibration fluid (200).

I placed the probe into my sump and it varied for about 10 hours. Its now been settled at around 172 for the last day or so (has varied from 170 to 174ish). This figure seems extremely low?! Perhaps I should leave the probe in for a little while longer and see if it rises at all?

I did a test with a jug of water from my tank and ran ozone into it with some carbon on the top and the probe in the water. The meter noticed the rise and controlled the level correctly. The probe also read this water as 172 before introducing ozone.

I will leave the probe in the tank for another few days and wait for a rise, if not should I assume I am ready to go and increase the ORP reading by say 30 points a day?

Thanks!

jay24k
02/26/2006, 12:31 PM
It can take 5 days for it to fully show the correct reading. I've been curious on mine because mine is saying 375 after day 5. I can't imagine it being that high without me adding ozone in yet.

mikeguerrero
02/26/2006, 03:06 PM
375 without ozone sounds really high but I have read some authors say some tanks have run up to 400 mv without ozone.

I only got up to 326 mv without ozone and with I got to 387 mv before my controller shut it off.

Just double check everything and you'll be okay...

Tomzpc
02/26/2006, 04:53 PM
What is the purpose of the check valve that some folks are using? I'm considering getting an ozone generator with controller, air pump, ozone safe tubing and a T to connect to my ER skimmer. Just can't figure out what the check valve is for?

mikeguerrero
02/26/2006, 04:55 PM
Check valve is so if the venturi pump shuts off, their is no possibility that water from the skimmer will start to back track.

The air check valve only allows ozone gas to move forward to the skimmer and no liquid or gas can come back to harm the ozone generator, does that make sense?

Mike G