PDA

View Full Version : live rock

dryice
02/06/2006, 06:17 PM
i am setting up my first tank its a 32 gal and the only pet store in my town sells it for 10$ a pound and i live in canada and i was wondering if liveaquaria ships to canada.

TekCat
02/06/2006, 06:26 PM
I suppose you can call them and ask..

algonquin
02/06/2006, 06:47 PM
Thats not too bad of a price, sometimes you will find it cheaper, but at least you get to pick out your own rock. I have always asked my fish guy at the store if he can drop the price, most of the time he can, i figure its worth a try.

Andy

bgbalz
02/06/2006, 07:04 PM
Some sellers on ebay have it for $2.25/lb. Anyone ever buy off of ebay (or any of the shops that sell on there)?

staman
02/06/2006, 07:52 PM
dryice where are you from? Theres a place in oakville, ontario called the Oakville Reef Gallery. They deal in high grade live rock and will probably give you a better deal than that as long as your buying quantity. Big al's sells live pompei for 7.50 a lb if you buy 30+ pounds.

dryice
02/06/2006, 08:44 PM
i live in labrador city there is only one pet store here it is the best one yet and it is the first one to have salt water and i am good friends with the owner and im 13 so the only way i can afored to get live rock at this price is if i sell me 90 gallon fw

CarmieJo
02/06/2006, 09:52 PM
I'm a newb to reef keeping but here are a couple of suggestions:
1) Join an aquarium club or group in your area and get on their email list.
a) There may be a hobbiest in the area who would be willing to sell you some cheap just to encourage you in the hobby.
b) Sometimes you also find someone on these lists who is breaking down their tank and can get LS and LR at a bargain rate.
c) At my first meeting another hobbiest even said he would give me some frags when I am ready for them.
2) Buy a bunch of base rock and a few pieces of LR. Over time the LR will colonize the base rock.

:fish2:

dryice
02/06/2006, 10:53 PM
as far as i know my tank will be the first salt tank in my town except the one at the pet store unless paul the owner of the store takes down his 55 cichlid tank and turns it into a salt befor i get mine up (sorry for any spelling but its 1 in the morning and im tired)