PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm Exit Guidance Please

minimalist
02/06/2006, 07:06 PM
I just treated my system with Interceptor for red bugs and it seems to have worked like a charm. I run a small 10g BB system so it wasn't too dificult to remove the crabs for the duration of the treatment.

Now that the red bugs are taken care of (hopefully), I need to deal with the acropora flatworms. I've ordered some Flatworm Exit and it will be here in two days. I've searched but I can't find any detailed instructions on how to most effectively use the product.

I have several questions...

How long should I let the Flatworm Exit take it's course before doing a water change and running carbon?

Should I treat the tank several times to ensure that all generations of flatworms are wiped out?

Is there anything else I should know before using the product?

Thanks in advance,
David

moriartiholmes
02/06/2006, 07:23 PM
I had a flatworm problem in my 29 soft coral tank. I let it get out of control and used flatworm exit. You should have a water change ready to go. Possibly as much as 100% I did a 40% change right after I used the product, and my skimmer still was going nuts and I lost a few corals. Fortunately I did not loose any species, just a few heads of xenia etc. I have a tiny sponge in there and that even made it. The toxicity in the treatment is the dead flatworms. I would turn the skimmer on as wet as possible, and get ready for it to overflow. Use carbon, and change it often. My corals were withdrawn for a while after treating, and I had a good algae bloom, I have a fuge now, which would have helped. One thing I would do if you can is to set up another tank or bucket with the same water conditions except for the addition of flatworm exit. Then dip the rocks into it for a few seconds, shake off the dying flatworms into that tank and put them back in the display. Then when everything recovers dose the whole system. I think this will prevent the danger of a mass die off, from dosing the whole system at once. Flatworms die almost instantly when flatworm exit is used.

minimalist
02/06/2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks. My infestation is rather minimal. Do I need to treat more than once? In other words, does the FWE kill their eggs as well?

joetbs
02/06/2006, 07:35 PM
FWE comes with instructions on its use. I think it kills all the planaria & eggs. It really doesn't bother anything, only the dead flatworms.

joe

minimalist
02/06/2006, 07:38 PM
Fantastic. Thank you.