PDA

View Full Version : new tank cycling - snails?

purplexfiles
02/06/2006, 07:15 PM
We have a 55 gallon tank that has been cycling for three weeks.

PH 8.0
Nitrit 0,5
Nitrat 10 mg
Ammon. 0,1

We have live sand/40 pounds live rock/ and a refugium.

No livestock yet.

We are picking up another batch of live rock that is not completely cured. Do we need any snails, crabs etc yet?

We experienced a diatom bloom but that has receded. Now, some greenish algae where the diatom was-not bad, tho.

I was wondering if the snails could take the high trits/trates with the next batch of live rock.
Thanks for any advice.

Paintbug
02/06/2006, 07:21 PM
i wouldnt add anything until the ammonia drops to 0. adding uncured LR will start a mini cycle as well.

SumoBlenny
02/06/2006, 11:22 PM
You may want to add some hermits because they are hardy and will clean the rock as it cures. Curing it separately in a rubbermaid trashcan, etc., may be safer. Since your nitrates are accumulating, the majority of the cycle is over so you should be ok with hardy animals such as hermits, but keep an eye on ammonia.

Blown 346
02/06/2006, 11:25 PM
I would wait as well, I wouldnt add anything until you are finished adding rock. By adding new rock that isnt completly cured will start up the cycle again and pro long it. I would wait until the Nitrites are zero before ading anything. Snails andsuch are real sensitive to any and all changes.