PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question! Can I put MH ballast on its side?

bboersma79
02/06/2006, 09:29 PM
I am moving around some equipment and I would like to put my 400 W MH Ballast on its side, I have some spacers so the vent/air flow won't be impacted but I wanted to make sure it was safe and wouldn't hurt the life span of the ballast?

Any help/advise?

PaulErik
02/06/2006, 10:02 PM
Is the ballast an enclosed ballast? Is it magnetic or electronic?

If it’s a PFO or Sunlight Supply magnetic ballast it should not be used side ways. The capacitor(s) and ignitors(s) are usually mounted on one side. If these are at the top the service life will be lower.

For best service life you want to have the ballast the way it was intended to be placed. Ventilation also plays a major rule in life. It’s best to keep 3 inches clearance on all sides for adequate cooling.

bboersma79
02/08/2006, 05:26 PM
It is enclosed, I don't know if it is magnetic or electronic.

It is a customsealife unit powering a 400w MH with 2 PCs.
Customsealife is no longer in business so finding out information on the unit is pretty tough.

bboersma79
02/08/2006, 07:58 PM
the ballast is built like a tank so I am assuming it is magnetic. I think I will try to open up the enclosure tonight to just double check and see what is going on inside this thing?

Maybe I should just take this opportunity to buy a nice canopy and build a retrofit lighting unit for my corner tank.

cindy288
02/08/2006, 08:25 PM
Yep, you can put it on it's side as long as it gets ventilation