PDA

View Full Version : 72 Bowfront: Swapping 2 of 4 VHOs for 2 T5s

biggs
02/06/2006, 11:05 PM
I'm not sure if this idea would be better or worse than my current setup.

I currently have 2 actinic and 2 white URI VHOs on my 72 bowfront.

First of all, I hate the color of the URI white bulbs. And I know most people agree that their blues are good.

So, the idea is to swap out my two white VHO bulbs in favor of two 6500k cheapie T5s. The GE bulbs, cheap ballast, two good reflectors, and endcaps can be had for about $125.

It's time for me to buy two new white VHO bulbs anyway, so this whole deal wont cost very much.

Opinions?

Also, keep in mind I would not necessarily need to keep blues in those two remaining VHO sockets. I could do one blue, one 50/50 even, as I have extra 50/50s handy.

Tony

Entropy
02/06/2006, 11:23 PM
I think it is a great idea. I think you will need both VHO actinics to balance the T5's so your plan should work fine.

biggs
02/06/2006, 11:34 PM
Cool. I'm going to do it. Should only be about $133 bucks shipped.

I just can't get past the idea of only having 2 x 54 watts of white light.

On the back level of my tank, and up high, are lots of mixed SPS and a clam. Everything does great in my tank. But I can't help thinking I will be losing light.

That said, I can't wait to see what the tank looks like with a true white light in place of those pink looking VHOs.

Tony

Entropy
02/07/2006, 03:52 PM
Well you should actually be getting more usable light since the 50/50 vhos are closer to 10k. Wattage wise you are probably getting an even trade. Figure 110w/2 (50/50) is 55w of vho 6500k, and 54w of T5 6500k. That is probably a silly way of looking at it, but I think it will work out really well for you.

biggs
02/07/2006, 10:06 PM
The old bulbs are whites, not 50:50s. Although I do have some 50:50 VHO bulbs as well, but I'm not currently using them.

I will be trading 2 white 110 watt VHOs for 2 white 54 watt T5s. That's the part that worries me a little. That's half the overall wattage of white light. But measuring lighting with watts is just dumb to begin with so I guess it's moot.

I bought the stuff today regardless of my doubts. If I am not happy with 2 white T5s and 2 blue VHOs, then I'll just buy two more T5s and do all T5. But I don't think it will matter. Lots of people do 4 x T5 on a 72 with good results, and most of them only have two white bulbs. So it should be cool.

Tony

Chef
02/09/2006, 07:20 PM
HI I to have a 72 bow front
I asked Grim Reefer what he thought I could do with my lights this is what he said :

"I would use Actinic plus lamps for both #7&8 instead of having two different colors.

Front

BPLUS BPLUS
AQUABLUE
BPLUS
AQUABLUE
BPLUS
AQUABLUE
BPLUS"Note that the front to are the same, that is because I am making a hood for my tank and using restros the front two are small and angled .... I mite in the just doaway with the small front two .. which in another pm he said I could do .... there is a pic in my gallery that I drew up quick from what he and I talked about ...
hope this helps Ken