PDA

View Full Version : what should i feed my sebae...?

petermai
02/07/2006, 12:47 AM
i've had him for two days. he's fully opened up looking really nice. i tried to feed him half of a silverside but he didn't take it. what should i try, and also, will my false clown host this type of anemone? thanks

also, how high up in the tank should i place him and how much flow do they prefer?...216watt 50/50, tank height's 17inches, and i have low/med/hi flow depending placement.

k_kagy
02/07/2006, 02:59 AM
My sebae likes the sand, as do most. Feed it some mysis shrimp, my sebae loves them. It my take awhile before yours starts eating, so dont worry. Yes, your clown can host in that anemone, but being that you have a larger tank, there is no way to know if she will. There is nothing more fustrating not seeing your clown host when you want it to, but be patient.
You dont have too much light, so make sure that you feed it weekly or every third day a little.
Good luck!

raoul
02/09/2006, 11:33 AM
We've had our sebae for a year now, it was almost dead when we got it, so we're very excited to have had it this long! It's grown by leaps and bounds! It went from the size of probably 3 inches across when opened to now the size of a salad plate - not quite a dinner plate, but approaching quickly!
It was hard for us to tell if it was eating mysis shrimp since he was bleached white as could be, the shrimp matched! We finally tried scallop and it loved it! It was easier for us to know it was eating when we could actually see the food! You can also try shrimp, mussels, clams, etc. from the seafood counter at the grocery store - some actually have preferences! Just make sure the pieces aren't too big.
Mine likes the sand too, or between the rocks, it's always stayed on the bottom. It's in a 30 gal with 250 watt mh shining down, and seems very happy!
Good luck!

phender
02/09/2006, 03:05 PM
Just to echo some of the above comments. You have enough light and a shallow enough tank that the anemone can live on the bottom. If it is not attaching under the sand, put it in a rock crevice. Some sebaes prefer that. Mine tend to prefer a gentle current. Enough to wave their tentacles but not so much that it lifts their disk.

At many Supermarkets (or Trader Joes, don't know if you have those in S.F.) you can find a frozen seafood mix. It usually contains shrimp, squid, scallops and maybe some other things. Try different things with your anemone and put the extra in a nice pasta sauce for yourself.

Scallops have worked well for me with picky eaters. Once they start to feed, they usually will start to take everything.

nick18tjetta
02/09/2006, 10:09 PM
I just got mine 3 weeks ago and it loves silversides. It made it to the lfs not bleach white, but it wasn't fully colored out either so I made the plunge and bought it. It is getting darker everyday. For those with established sebae's post some pics.

Nick

raoul
02/10/2006, 02:59 PM
I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen one of these in the stores not pure white. Good find! I really have to fight the urge to bring all the bleached ones home with me and try to save them! It's a good thing I don't have the resources or it would be even harder!
I've got some pics, I'll see if my husband can upload them - I don't know how! I know he's got some in photo bucket though.
Alta

roons
02/11/2006, 07:39 AM
place him on substrate where rock meets it, hell find a spot to dig in.........................2 days is too early to try to feed , hes still stressed......................i feed mine once every 6 months , krill, my ocs keep him happy and i dont want him getting any bigger than a dinner plate ;)

jrw
02/11/2006, 11:17 AM
Mine its krill and silver sides. Has also eaten frozen formula 1 believe it or not. Good luck and be patient