PDA

View Full Version : Finally got the mini to work

Paulairduck
02/07/2006, 03:22 PM
I made some mods to the mini to get it to skim. They seem to be working very good. I do not know if anybody has made these mods to an asm skimmer but they are working good for me.

I do not know how to attach the pics, so go to my gallery and you can see what I am talking about

FINALLY!!!

:smokin:

mntl
02/07/2006, 03:31 PM
Here you go, hope you dont mind :)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/mntl/108559132_3290-med.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/mntl/108559132_3289-med.jpg

--John

Blown 346
02/07/2006, 04:34 PM
Here they are.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/108559132_3289-med.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/108559132_3290-med.JPG

Paulairduck
02/07/2006, 04:37 PM
Thank you, I tried for an hour to get those pics up.

:confused:

Blown 346
02/07/2006, 10:16 PM
No problem

Lothar
02/08/2006, 01:02 AM
How deep is the water you are running it in? What problems were you having before? Curious because mine gets here Thursday.

Thanks

Paulairduck
02/08/2006, 01:21 PM
I couldn't for the life of me to get the thing to skim. I raised the outlet pipe and I would raise the water level in the sump and I would get nothing. I even spoke with the guy who sold it to me @ Global Aquatics and he said that maybe the pump was too small for the skimmer. He said he was going to go to asm and get back with me about the possibility that you need to run the sedra 2500 on the skimmer, and he fell off the face of the earth, so I started making my own changes, due to the fact I didn't want to spend 70.00 dollars on a new pump, when I spent 99.00 on the whole skimmer.

Finally with the changes you see in the picture, I GOT SKIMATE. The results as of now are not spectacular, but I am very satisfied for the money I spent on the skimmer.

So when you get your skimmer let me know how things go.

The water level I keep is 8 inches and the setting on the outlet pipe is exactly like you see in the picture.

swashbuckler
02/08/2006, 07:01 PM
WOW- thats good news! that it can be "fixed"

did the 90 degree elbow shooting downwards make the improvment? or is a combo of things.

Lothar
02/14/2006, 03:22 AM
Got mine running Sunday in a new sump. Running in about 5 inches of water. I'll give it some time to break in. I have the gate valve mod on mine.

Paulairduck
02/14/2006, 08:48 AM
I am guessing that it was the ninety inside the skimmer. when I ran without it, the bubbles only filled about 70% of the skimmer. Now that it runs with the ninety inside it fills 90% of the skimmer, giving me more contact time from bottom to the top of the skimmer. But, I am deffinitely no bubble expert, and not an engineer.

TRIAL AND ERROR

BUT IT WORKS KNOW!!!

todd kaminski
02/15/2006, 05:24 PM
I wish they wouldn't of jumped the gun on putting this skimmer on the market until they had it all figured out. Like you I cant get this thing to skim. I would like to return it to global for a refund but can't seem to ever get ahold of anybody there to do so. I dont want to buy something that has to be modified just to make it work properly. Should of got the tunzi I guess

swashbuckler
02/15/2006, 06:42 PM
i guess we shouldnt expect much for something that only costs 100 bucks- :(

todd kaminski
02/15/2006, 07:42 PM
Yeap once again. I beleave this is my 4th skimmer in 2 years, Time to break down and get the deltec

todd kaminski
02/16/2006, 07:54 PM
I'm just curios about the mod you did . from what I can see you have a 4"piece of pipe with a 90 degree on each end and a coupling . Did you glue all the pieces together and just slip the coupling over the return from the pump? also how did you get your hand in the skimmer to conect the 90, the opening doesnt seem big enough? Did you also add the gate valve mod? I might try doing these this weekend to get this thing to work.I know the old saying you get what you pay for, but the other asm that I use to have,a g1x on an older setup, was worth every little penny I paid for it only $189.

Paulairduck
02/16/2006, 08:54 PM
I was also wondering how I was going to get the ninety inside the skimmer also?????

What I did is put the straight piece of 1/2 inch pvc into the skimmerthrough the seal on the side.

I took another piece of 1/2 inch pipe and I glued the ninety in two small spots on the top of the ninety and let it sit. Then I was able to use the pipe with the ninety attached to it and I was able to attach the ninety to the pipe inside the skimmer. Then I made all the necessary connections outside, and the skimmer was almost ready to go.

Me being scared of the super glue residue left on top of the ninety, filled my sink with hot water and added some white vinegar to the water and let the skimmer run for one hour. took it apart and set it in my sump and the skimmer started skimming immediately!!!!

FINALLY!!!!

swashbuckler
02/16/2006, 08:57 PM
^^ haha- i think what he's trying to say is that he has small hands- ya know what they say about guys with small hands............ :D