PDA

View Full Version : Another question for ya Randy

RBU1
02/07/2006, 04:21 PM
Being the chemistry expert you are I have another question for you. THe question you answered earlier about my dieing Xenia affecting water quality. You answer was you did not think it would happen. I was glad to hear that response. I do however have another one for you. Lets say I remove the rock that has the Xenia and some of the Green Star polyps on it and replace it with another rock. Do you see any type of cycle taking place due to adding a new piece of rock? If so how can I avoid it? I have a few pieces of rock in a non running tank in the basement. It has saltwater in it but no water movement or light or anything just cold saltwater. Will adding that rock potentially cause a cycle? Sorry to bother you. BILL

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/07/2006, 04:43 PM
Do you see any type of cycle taking place due to adding a new piece of rock?

That depends on where it comes from and what is on it, and whether you crush/bury any organisms on them going out or coming it. But in general, replacing a rock is not an issue. :)

Is the new rock a bare white rock?

RBU1
02/07/2006, 04:50 PM
No actually it would be one from my basement tank. The tank is basically just sitting there with water in it and about 3 pieces of rock. There is no heater water movement or anything in that tank. So basically the rock is sitting in cold saltwater. It was live rock at one time I removed from my main tank when I did some re-aquascaping. It has been down in the basement for a couple months. THANKS AGAIN for your help. BILL

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/07/2006, 04:52 PM
I expect it is OK if the rock itself does not have dead or dying organisms on it. :)

RBU1
02/07/2006, 04:56 PM
Well I guess it could have some dead???? It was in my main tank and now in the cold water tank. Like I said it has been there for a couple months!!!!! Don't know what to do?????????

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/08/2006, 06:08 AM
If it looks and smells OK, then I'd use it. :)