PDA

View Full Version : 125 not level

tjampm
02/07/2006, 06:22 PM
I just filled up my new 125 gallon only to find it was not level. I drained it and ask "now what?" I believe I need to shim the stand. Could anyone tell me how to do this? Do I need a hammer or pieces of wood? Thanks

AllenFord_SC
02/07/2006, 06:40 PM
Do you have access to a miter saw? If so, set the blade at 5 degrees and cut a 2x4 for shims. After the first cut, roll the board so the bottom is now the top and make your second cut. Repeat as needed. I do this in my line of work to create shims for the cabinets. If you can't get to a miter saw HD sells bundles of shims pretty cheap. Empty the tank, shim the end that is low, and check your level from side-side, front-back, and corner-corner in both diagonal directions. This will give you a true level.

AllenFord_SC
02/07/2006, 06:42 PM
Also not sure the length of your tank, but the longer the level, the more accurate the reading. Stay away from plastic levels! Wood and brass levels are the best but Stanley makes a great metal level.

75oceanic86
02/07/2006, 07:02 PM
I used the paint mixing sticks that you get from home depot as shims to get my tank level and a little off the floor jus in case there was ever a flood. Has worked real well; going on six years now.

tjampm
02/07/2006, 07:26 PM
Thank you!!