PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn, when to worry

kelly_and_brian
02/07/2006, 07:10 PM
I have a single head of frogspawn purchased from the LFS 4 days ago. It has extended about an inch and a half or so during the day, and not usually retreated too much at night (that I have noticed). The head is about the size of a quarter. Tonight I noticed part was pulled back to the point I could see the fleshy portion of the branch.

Should I be worried at all, or is this normal behavior? Are there any warning signs I should watch out for?

Also, it is currently sort of laying on it's side, there are actually 2 branches, but one appears dead, so the living brach is at about a 45 degree angle to the tank bottom. Should I situate it so the existing branch is straight up?

I appreciate any feedback/advice.

argo
02/08/2006, 07:28 AM
Sounds like it's just acclimating to your tank. What kind of lights is it under? Water movement around the coral? Placement in the tank (vertically)? It will also appreciate some meaty foods (once or twice a week). I'd start with brine shrimp or small silversides soaked in Selcon.

kelly_and_brian
02/08/2006, 08:18 AM
It is a 10 gallon tank with 96 watts of PC light. It is down on the sand, and I still have a couple pieces of screen on the top of the tank to reduce the light as it acclimates. It's not in one of the highest flow areas, but it is not stagnant either.

Thanks for your response.

argo
02/08/2006, 08:42 AM
If your tank's water parameters are in check, then try feeding it when its polyps are expended. Take a brine or a silverside with tweezers and place between the tentacles and see if it'll pull it in. It might take several attempts. Good luck and keep us posted

kelly_and_brian
02/09/2006, 01:14 PM
I rearranged the tank last night, and it is definitly much happier. More extended and plumper.

Can I feed with freeze dried brine shrimp or should I look for something in the frozen food isle of the LFS?

mr pink floyd
02/09/2006, 02:01 PM
id ask the LFS

BethanyM
02/09/2006, 02:07 PM
I have had frogspawn for more than 7 months now. Started as 1 head and is now upt to 3.5. It will NOT take food. So don't get too frustrated if it won't. Some never do.