PDA

View Full Version : nitrates still up

Russian123
02/07/2006, 08:23 PM
Well after a 30% water change my nitrate levels still are at a high 15 ppm are beggining to make me a little nervous here. Is there any way other than water changes to get this down asap.

BurntOutReefer
02/07/2006, 08:25 PM
1) Whats your filter system
2) Whats your Bioload
3) Whats the size of your tank (2.5g per you sig?)

Russian123
02/07/2006, 08:28 PM
10 gallon in tank pump
1 very small damsel ( going to exchange once it gets too big)
and yes 2.5

theop
02/07/2006, 08:32 PM
From your brief description, it doesn't sound like you have any way to break down nitrates. I'm not sure what a "10 gallon in tank pump" is, but I will guess it is a small internal filter. That is fine for mechanical filtration, but will likely contribute to your nitrates as it traps detritus and organic matter. You'd be better off with a small hang-on powerfilter because it will be easier to rinse off the floss/cartridge every day or so.

The easiest way to "fix" your problem is to get a couple of pounds of mature live rock. This will take care of your bio-filtration needs including breaking down nitrates. Since your tank is so small, you could do more frequent water changes. Also, even one medium-sizes damsel is going to push it for bioload in your tank. You'd be better off with one really small fish (like a small goby) if you're going to have any fish at all.

SumoBlenny
02/07/2006, 09:12 PM
Live rock will help as would adding a small amount of macro algea. Theop made good suggestions. Keep your bio load low and clean your mechanical filters often.

theop
02/07/2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

I forgot to mention that a LFS in my area has a beautiful 2.5gal reef tank by their register. It has a PC light and a small HOB filter. I don't think there are any fish in it, but I have seen a couple of sexy shrimp. The effects of water evaporation on the salinity would be my biggest fear with a tank that small.

Russian123
02/08/2006, 05:05 PM
Well thanks for the replies I was just going to add on that if I were to put a cleaning crew in would this end up being a mistake becuase of such a small tank. I already do water changes very carefull with Salinity. Watch it daily really just wondering

Russian123
02/08/2006, 05:06 PM
by cleaning crew i mean like one cleaning shrimp

BurntOutReefer
02/09/2006, 11:43 AM
I'd get at least two small snails and maybe 1~2 hermits....the shrimp isnt going to like eating algea......