PDA

View Full Version : snail poop and salt creep

dylanirion
02/07/2006, 08:57 PM
I've got two quick questions. The snails that make up my 46 bow's clean up crew are 10 astrea, 10 cerith, and 10 nassarius, and 1 fighting conch. Despite all these guys I've got a hug acumulation of snail poop on my sandbed. Is this an indication of insufficient flow? Or am I missing a part of the cleanup crew. The second question regards cleaning the salt creep off my teklight reflectors. is there anything special i should use for this? water doesn't quite cut it. i remember hearing vinegar mentioned, but i'm not sure if it was in reference to salt creep. I'm planning on getting an acrylic shield so i don't have to deal with this anymore. Thanks

SumoBlenny
02/07/2006, 09:09 PM
Yes, you might want to increase flow or install an intermittent surge device. On the good side, the resuspended snail poo is good coral food! Vinegar can help reduce deposits and there are products like stop creep that help to prevent the problem from starting.

dylanirion
02/07/2006, 11:29 PM
I've got two mj1200s and another powering a remora in this 46 bow, should I add another (maybe lower power), or reposition them? As of now points diagoanlly down the back from the viewers right side of the aquarium, and the other points diagonally across the length of the aquarium (from the back left, to front right) and is angled up a bit to break the surface of the water. both are at just under the water level. I've got a picture on the way.

dylanirion
02/07/2006, 11:40 PM
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~dirion/060207aresized.jpg

I realize this is not much live rock as well, but I prefer the minimalist look. I'm pretty proud of the aquascape.

capefear
02/08/2006, 01:23 AM
get some sand sifters

stevebydac
02/08/2006, 04:36 AM
Vinegar works very well to remove salt deposits. I can personally vouch for it. If you have a stubborn deposit, soak it well with vinegar and let it sit for several minutes. It tends to eat away at the salt if given time.