PDA

View Full Version : lighting question for clam

fuzz1974
02/07/2006, 10:13 PM
hello, I am thinking on trying a clam. I have heard that crocea clams will be ok in a 55 gal. w/4x65 watt PC. It would be within about 11" from my lights. Is this true or will it eventually die off?

Thanks, Fuzz

mbbuna
02/07/2006, 10:21 PM
Croceas are the most light demanding of all the clams. in a tank that deep with that lighting i would suggest a Derasa

The steven liu
02/08/2006, 12:02 AM
yeah, your best bet is derasa or squamosa for your tank and lighting.

fuzz1974
02/08/2006, 07:20 AM
Really!!! Everyone I've talked with has told me the crocea. I might have some more checking around to do. Thanks for the reply. I am sure you guys know what's up with the kind of clam that is suitable, but now that I have heard this I definately want to do some checking around. That might be some good news. I have seen better colors with the dersa and squamossa than I have on the crocea. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Fuzz

tangey
02/08/2006, 02:28 PM
Personally I think you need MH lighting for all clams. You might be able to get away with a deresa or squamosa clam with that lighting. I have the same lighting on my 55 gallon also and have a crocea clam but its in my prop tank under metal halide. yes crocea are the most light demanding. Personally I think crocea clams have the best color and patterns. My crocea clame has a nice metallic blue, green color to him. All the deresa and squamoss I have seen are brown and light gold with a little blueish green on them. I have seen true blue squamossa's but with a high price tag. I would suggest going with metal halide lighting for a crocea. You might be lucky with a deresa clam and it might live for a while. If I were you I would upgrade to mh lighting. I am doing that right now. hope that helps

Ryan

fuzz1974
02/08/2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks man.

tangey
02/08/2006, 02:38 PM
no problem

capefear
02/10/2006, 06:14 PM
i think its to close to chance it i am using power compacts as well but i am at just over 6 watts per gallon and my clams are doing great....you need more watt's per gallon

Ti
02/10/2006, 06:49 PM
WPG means nothing.
Worse comes to worse, he can move it up on the rocks.
SOME have luck with clams under PC, but this is SOME people.

fuzz1974
02/10/2006, 08:18 PM
yeah I am still considering it. Right now at the moment I am trying to find a new light system. I like some of the metal halide systems but they are to wide for the tank. Any suggestions would be cool.

Fuzz

The steven liu
02/10/2006, 08:38 PM
If you cannot resist the temptation to get a crocea, you must do two of the three following:
1) purchase a Metal Halide
2) place your clam no further than 2" from the water surface.
3) feed your clam quality LIVE, I repeat, LIVE not dead phytoplankton to supplement malnutrition from insufficient lighting.

capefear
02/10/2006, 09:12 PM
if wpg means nothing, would clams live under flouresent lighting, Ti ?

Rockhead21564
02/10/2006, 09:50 PM
Its intensity, not wpg. I could put 1000watts of flourc. and it still wouln't be the same as 500watt of MH. aren't corcea's supposed to be on the rocks, hence the foot that is grasping for the rock. Squamosa would be great on the sand bed. I have both and enjoy the difference in blue,green, and brownish/pinkish of squa. I think if you try a corcea under PC's or T5's place high on the LR, as stated earlier and look at 7-8wpg. OR JUST GO MH,lol.