PDA

View Full Version : Macro tank viewing suggestions.

sequential
02/08/2006, 10:20 AM
Last night I noticed some tiny little critters, as of yet unidentified, in my 20g. They look an awful lot like amphipods, but they are still quite young and appear to be moving a lot faster than previous colonies I've had. To inspect them, I got out my 10x photographic loop, and to my surprise, I found what appears to be a sponge, some budding macro algae, and little feather dusters, all too small to see with the naked eye. (All of these things appear to have hitchiked in, so I'm carefully monitoring it all.)

Given that I was only able to inspect a few inches of live rock, I was curious how others might get macro views of their tank. Binoculars and zoom lenses fail to produce better results than the naked eye and the loop is very limited in it's ability to focus in the tank. I don't have any macro lenses, but have a plethora of camera equipment at my disposal, so bonus points if your method allows good macro photography. :-)

sequential
02/08/2006, 10:33 AM
After looking at other pictures of pods, copepods (http://melevsreef.com/id/copepod2.html) are the most likely candidate I've come across. Joy for me fishies!