PDA

View Full Version : looking to expand on my cleaning crew...Suggestions?

murph1083
02/08/2006, 11:21 AM
Hey guys,

Im looking to go to the lfs this weekend and expend on my cleaning crew for my 55g. I currently have 10 Astraea snails. I would like to deal with my algae issues and perhaps some debris. Any suggestions?

crzy4reefs
02/08/2006, 11:28 AM
i love my blk cucumber does a nice job on the sand bed. you could get some nass snails and maybe some mexican turbos.

TekCat
02/08/2006, 11:33 AM
If you have sandbed I strongly suggest getting some Nassarius snails, they will eat detrius and keep your sand properly aerated. Also get some variety of creatures, diversity is good, different species eat slightly different "food" :)
IMO, get some Cerith, Trochus, did I mention Nassarius snails. I'd stay away from hermit crabs, sometimes they can and will kill a snail for it's shell. If you decide to get some crabs get least agressive ones - Scarlet Hermit Crab, and some empty snail shells. When your crabs get bigger they will move to a bigger shell, if none available then they kill snail and move in its shell.

Here are some useful articles:
The Grazing Snails, Part I - Turbo, Trochus, Astraea, and Kin (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.php)
The Grazing Snails, Part II - Abalones, Limpets and Nerites (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rs/index.php)
The Grazing Snails, Part III: Conchs, Ceriths, Cowries, and Columbellids (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/rs/index.php)

Also, Serpent starfish and Brittle starfish (except for green one) are excellent scavengers. If you have DSB stay away from Sand Sifting starfish, they will prey on your sandbed's infauna.

HTH

Lpabsolute
02/08/2006, 12:16 PM
I'm keeping about 15-20 snails. Turbo, Margarita, Cerith, Bumble Bee, Nassarius, Banded Torch. About 3 of each. Also have about 15 small blue/red leg hermits. I'm also about to put 3 shrimp in the tank. A medium size cleaner shrimp and two small sexy shrimp. Even without the shrimp now my tank is working fine with the clean up crew i currently have. You'll figure out how much you need and when enough is enough when you start adding more into your tank. You just don't wont to overstock your tank. If you add to much of a clean up crew there might not be enough algee and other things in the tank for them to eat. You should be able to get the above for under $200. Your LFS should give you a break on the price if you buy everything from them at once. Try to create a good rep. with them. If you get in good with them they should be willing to help you out a lot more later on down the road. Good Luck

Syon
02/08/2006, 12:26 PM
i'm extremely fond of nassarius for detritus clean up. They're real fun to watch when they explode from the sand bed to clean up messes. Nerite snails are are one of the least destructive glass cleaners because of their small size. My turbos clean the glass in a random zigzag pattern and the nerites concentrate on specific spots until its clean.