PDA

View Full Version : What tangs go with a hippo?

Jonviviano
02/08/2006, 02:37 PM
I recently purchased a small hippo tang for my tank. I know that theree is a few species of surgeons that can go with them but i want to make sure before i buy one. I Have him in a 55G...I know this is to small for tangs but when they mature i will swap them out for youngers ones, or upgrade my tank, als i have a less amount of rockwork which means more swimming space. Ive read that a Kole tang can go with him. I was wondering if a Yellow or Purple tang would fit this profile. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

BTTRFLYGRL
02/08/2006, 02:43 PM
Sorry but I wouldn't have placed a Hippo in a 55..and I would not recommend adding another. I would return the Hippo now, give it a chance to find a home in a larger tank and then buy fish whose adult size is more appropriate for your tank. A nice Dwarf Angel would be perfect

NexDog
02/08/2006, 08:23 PM
A small Yellow would be fine IMO.

bigbenji
02/09/2006, 02:25 AM
The tang police will say that even a yellow tang will outgrow a 55. I've seen a hippo in a 75 with a yellow and they ignored each other.

dchao
02/09/2006, 02:39 AM
BTTRFLYGRL:

Please read what Jonviviano's said: "I know this is to small for tangs but when they mature i will swap them out for youngers ones, or upgrade my tank"

Do you have any reason to doubt that he/she won't do it?

If the Tang is only 1"-2" now, it's perfectly OK to be kept in a 55G.

racrumrine
02/09/2006, 02:51 AM
I recently introduced a Hippo in a 180 that already had a Yellow and Purple. The Purple harassed the Hippo for a couple of weeks. Now they all get along; however, Hippos tend to hide a lot more than the other 2.

As stated, start planning your bigger tank now.

Best of luck,

Roy

BTTRFLYGRL
02/09/2006, 05:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6700397#post6700397 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dchao
BTTRFLYGRL:

Please read what Jonviviano's said: "I know this is to small for tangs but when they mature i will swap them out for youngers ones, or upgrade my tank"

Do you have any reason to doubt that he/she won't do it?

If the Tang is only 1"-2" now, it's perfectly OK to be kept in a 55G.

Ummmm, yes I can read. I think is a bad idea to buy a fish that will outgrow your tank thinking you will upgrade or trade it. You don't know what might happen , you may not be able to upgrade. So then you'll just return it when the fish gets too large? your going to chase the fish, remove it and take it to a petstore to be placed temporarily in a tiny tank and then who knows who they'll sell it to then..and not only do we want to add one fish that will out grow this 55, we want to add 2:rolleyes: Notice I said above I thought he should take it back NOW and get a more appropriate sized fish. Trading in fish IMO is irresponsible and selfish and causes unnecessary stress to the fish. If you want to keep large fish, GET A LARGER TANK! Use a little common sense and self control. Leave the big fish for people who have a proper home for them

Teremei
02/09/2006, 06:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6700582#post6700582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BTTRFLYGRL
Ummmm, yes I can read. I think is a bad idea to buy a fish that will outgrow your tank thinking you will upgrade or trade it. You don't know what might happen , you may not be able to upgrade. So then you'll just return it when the fish gets too large? your going to chase the fish, remove it and take it to a petstore to be placed temporarily in a tiny tank and then who knows who they'll sell it to then..and not only do we want to add one fish that will out grow this 55, we want to add 2:rolleyes: Notice I said above I thought he should take it back NOW and get a more appropriate sized fish. Trading in fish IMO is irresponsible and selfish and causes unnecessary stress to the fish. If you want to keep large fish, GET A LARGER TANK! Use a little common sense and self control. Leave the big fish for people who have a proper home for them

Yeah I have to agree. Would you adopt a child only to say, bye bye, I don't need you anymore, and bring them back to wait in the home until someone else comes to get them? I'm sorry but I don't beleive in "borrowing fish". . If you are going to buy a fish, give it a loving home for it's lifetime. So BTTRFLYGRL's response wasn't at all unfair, but critical in a good way. People should treat fish just as good as they would a Dog or Cat. Treat them as family.

This person already has a blue tang in a 55, ok fine. Hopefully he can trade it to a GOOD home (fellow reefer with a 120 or bigger) instead of back to the fish store a year from now. But now wants to add a purple tang too? (argueable one of the most aggresive of tangs). I've never considered myself a "tang police", but it's stories like this that make me understand how they feel sometimes.

mcox33
02/09/2006, 06:33 AM
I have a 90 gallon full of rock, I bought a yellow tang used (from someone moving out of state) Then a couple of years later got a blue from someone getting out of the hobby.

they are both about 4 inches each, they have gotten along very well and seem perfectly happy in my 90 gal.

As for trading it or selling it later if something happens and she can't get a larger tank. I was perfectly happy to get my used fish.

And in my experience most others, especially those with larger tanks are happy to find a used fish that is a little larger than the lfs is selling on average. Personally I would not want to add a 2 inch fish to a 55 gallon tank.

She should keep her fish and get a yellow about the same size to go with him and then start saving money for the larger tank. The biggest she has room for. They are beautiful. But I see no reason she can't start them out in a 55 and then get a larger tank down the road.

Would you buy a 200 gallon tank for a baby oscar. I doubt it. You put him in a 20 gallon and move him up as he grows. Better for him and you. Smaller tank easier to keep an eye on him.

JMO

NexDog
02/09/2006, 06:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6700634#post6700634 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Teremei
Yeah I have to agree. Would you adopt a child only to say, bye bye, I don't need you anymore, and bring them back to wait in the home until someone else comes to get them? I'm sorry but I don't beleive in "borrowing fish". . If you are going to buy a fish, give it a loving home for it's lifetime. So BTTRFLYGRL's response wasn't at all unfair, but critical in a good way. People should treat fish just as good as they would a Dog or Cat. Treat them as family.

This person already has a blue tang in a 55, ok fine. Hopefully he can trade it to a GOOD home (fellow reefer with a 120 or bigger) instead of back to the fish store a year from now. But now wants to add a purple tang too? (argueable one of the most aggresive of tangs). I've never considered myself a "tang police", but it's stories like this that make me understand how they feel sometimes.
You just joined the tang police.

I got a hippo and a yellow when I had a 50g knowing I was going to upgrade. And upgrade I did.

Teremei
02/09/2006, 06:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6700718#post6700718 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NexDog
You just joined the tang police.

I got a hippo and a yellow when I had a 50g knowing I was going to upgrade. And upgrade I did.

Say it ain't so!! :uzi: :wave: :hammer: :lolspin:

Good that you planned from the beggining. I went from wanting to get a YT for my 55 to cringing when my friend said he wants to put a blue in his 75. What happened to me? :lol:

NexDog
02/09/2006, 07:20 AM
It's Upgrade Syndrome - on account of your 125. :D

Seriously, the whole tang police and "too many fish" thing gets to me. I've seen tangs in a 50g tanks that were better off than tangs in big tanks. If you look after your fish - that's the main thing. Keep them fat, disease free and away from aggression and you'll never have a problem with me. I'd much rather see 4 or 5 small tangs in a 50 than one Ich ridden or isopod attacked tang in a 500g.

kjmst29
02/09/2006, 08:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6700634#post6700634 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Teremei

Did you just compare a child to a fish???????????? :rolleye1:

BTTRFLYGRL
02/09/2006, 08:14 AM
Unfortunately, Your fish may not be as happy as you to be in such a cramped up environment. 5 Tangs in a 50 will lead to aggression, stress and early death. I can't see putting these beautiful creatures through such stress for my benefit.

Yes, many people become addicted [like me] and upgrade..but you never know what might happen, future problems that will prevent you from doing so.

I would much rather see fish traded to other Hobbyist, ones with larger tanks and more experience..I think that is a much better idea than taking them back to the store.

Also, I would still stick to only one..As these Tangs grow, they need more space and this is going to be trouble. Why not wait till you upgrade to add that second Tang? What's the hurry? There are plenty of beautiful fish that are more suitable for a 55

RichConley
02/09/2006, 11:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6700682#post6700682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mcox33
I have a 90 gallon full of rock, I bought a yellow tang used (from someone moving out of state) Then a couple of years later got a blue from someone getting out of the hobby.

they are both about 4 inches each, they have gotten along very well and seem perfectly happy in my 90 gal.

As for trading it or selling it later if something happens and she can't get a larger tank. I was perfectly happy to get my used fish.

And in my experience most others, especially those with larger tanks are happy to find a used fish that is a little larger than the lfs is selling on average. Personally I would not want to add a 2 inch fish to a 55 gallon tank.

She should keep her fish and get a yellow about the same size to go with him and then start saving money for the larger tank. The biggest she has room for. They are beautiful. But I see no reason she can't start them out in a 55 and then get a larger tank down the road.

Would you buy a 200 gallon tank for a baby oscar. I doubt it. You put him in a 20 gallon and move him up as he grows. Better for him and you. Smaller tank easier to keep an eye on him.

JMO

MCOX, if you've had these fish "for a couple years" and theyre only 4 inches long, their growth has been SEVERELY stunted. Tangs (especially hippos) grow extremely quickly.

Teremei
02/09/2006, 02:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6701005#post6701005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kjmst29
Did you just compare a child to a fish???????????? :rolleye1:

Yeah, I guess I care about ALL living creatures that way. I suppose I have a big heart, sorry of that offends you. :rolleyes:

reverendmaynard
02/09/2006, 02:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6703483#post6703483 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Teremei
Yeah, I guess I care about ALL living creatures that way. I suppose I have a big heart, sorry of that offends you. :rolleyes:

You must love it when you see people give advice like, "ditch those fish you have and get this fish." Some people seem to think nothing more of the fish than they do the LR or the sand or the skimmer. Probably less since they cost less.:confused:

BTW: The standard response to threads like this should be... "Read this thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=739380) ."

BTTRFLYGRL
02/09/2006, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6703740#post6703740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reverendmaynard
You must love it when you see people give advice like, "ditch those fish you have and get this fish." Some people seem to think nothing more of the fish than they do the LR or the sand or the skimmer. Probably less since they cost less.:confused:

BTW: The standard response to threads like this should be... "Read this thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=739380) ."

Hee hee, notice I got my 2 cents in before it was locked:lol:

I also agree, I wish people thought more of these creatures in their care

kjmst29
02/10/2006, 07:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6703483#post6703483 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Teremei

Either that or you don't have kids. I'm betting on the latter.....

Hound
02/10/2006, 12:49 PM
i love it when people like to have such a opinion and insist on flamming a thread when they could just ignore it.......regardless ur opinon on tangs and tank size if you dont agree you dont have to answear save your breath for a thread that is worth posting.....assuming someone one you never met wont stick to thier word on upgrading is ignorant...You have no reason to think this person is lying.....

Maybe im soft but i like to give people their word until they prove other wise....that seems like common sense then yelling at someone for asking a question....tang police=people with nothing better to do then try to stir things up for no reason

reverendmaynard
02/10/2006, 02:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6710786#post6710786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hound
i love it when people like to have such a opinion and insist on flamming a thread when they could just ignore it.......regardless ur opinon on tangs and tank size if you dont agree you dont have to answear save your breath for a thread that is worth posting.....assuming someone one you never met wont stick to thier word on upgrading is ignorant...You have no reason to think this person is lying.....

Maybe im soft but i like to give people their word until they prove other wise....that seems like common sense then yelling at someone for asking a question....tang police=people with nothing better to do then try to stir things up for no reason

I see you stuck to answering the question:rolleyes:

Tang police are better than poster police.

Hound
02/10/2006, 02:59 PM
this thread was already hi jacked and turned into another battle before my post......and i feel the right answear was already given....and remember without tang police poster police wouldnt have a job.......

kjmst29
02/10/2006, 03:16 PM
I agree w/ Hound. They're fish, people! They're not children, not dogs, not cats, FISH. Why do people get so bent out of shape over others wanting to own a small fish in a large tank because it will eventually outgrow it? He said he was going to upgrade. I plan on doing the same thing (hippo tang in an 80 gallon currently). So cut the guy some slack.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to make myself a NON-dolphin safe tunafish sandwich. And maybe later I'll have some shark fin soup. Oh crap, cops are here. I better hide my living, healthy and happy hippo tang before they see it in ONLY an 80 gallon tank.

Highlander
02/10/2006, 03:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6711821#post6711821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kjmst29
I agree w/ Hound. They're fish, people! They're not children, not dogs, not cats, FISH. Why do people get so bent out of shape over others wanting to own a small fish in a large tank because it will eventually outgrow it? He said he was going to upgrade. I plan on doing the same thing (hippo tang in an 80 gallon currently). So cut the guy some slack.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to make myself a NON-dolphin safe tunafish sandwich. And maybe later I'll have some shark fin soup. Oh crap, cops are here. I better hide my living, healthy and happy hippo tang before they see it in ONLY an 80 gallon tank.

So the sick hippo in your gallery pics dated nov 2005 is better now?
That's good:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/83225Dori.gif http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/83225Dori2.gif

Enjoy your sandwich :D

Hound
02/10/2006, 03:36 PM
Ok now back to the original question I believe a Kole Tang would be best with a Hippo ...the hippo does get big but u have sometime to get that bigger tank .....keepyour eyes open for a nice deal on here or in your local newspaper some really good deals come by more often than u would think... i know here in rochester ny people are always selling thier tanks for dirt cheap...

kjmst29
02/10/2006, 05:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6711951#post6711951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Highlander
So the sick hippo in your gallery pics dated nov 2005 is better now?
That's good:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/83225Dori.gif http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/83225Dori2.gif

Enjoy your sandwich :D

HLLE is a diet issue, not a space issue. You'd think a person who's been involved on this forum for three years would know that.....

And yes, she's all better.

Teremei
02/10/2006, 06:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6711821#post6711821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kjmst29

So? You're JUST a human. What's your point? Maybe I've seen what they do to cats and dogs in labaratories. Maybe I do not like to see any living thing in my care suffering. Again, I'm sorry if that offends anyone. Any BTW, he said he might bring it back. He did NOT say he is going to upgrade for SURE, so don't resort to bending the truth.

But let's get back on subject. I do not suggest you keep a blue tang and purple tang in the same tank, no matter WHAT size it is. The purple is the meanest tang I've seen. .

Hound
02/10/2006, 09:14 PM
give it up... funny how childish someone can be when they have to get the last word in ....this thread was trying to get back on point but people just wont let it die......dont think your opinion needs to be heard just cause u have one let this thread continue with just advice for this guys fish and stop trying to prove your point......

kjmst29
02/11/2006, 12:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6713053#post6713053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Teremei
So? You're JUST a human. What's your point?

This is taking tang police to a whole new level.

Somebody shoot me :fun2:

Ok, original topic thoughts. Regardless of what you do fish-tank size-wise, I think any tank with any tang should run a UV for parasite control. But this is my opinion. It's not a must, but I think it will save you a headache in the future. People have went without one and had success, so it is not impossible. Every tang I ever had before getting a UV eventually got ich. Once I started running the UV, no problems. I use the Turbo Twist, 18 watts. Got a good deal on dr foster and smith's web site. It may not be an Aqua Ultraviolet (The ferrari of UV lights), but for the price and good reviews it gets, well worth it.

Just trying to offer some helpful advice. You can put a yellow tang in beta bowl for all i care. It's your money and your fish. If you want to replace him often, it's your business. Like Ivan Drago in Rocky IV said, "If he dies, he dies."

kevensquint
02/11/2006, 08:33 AM
I don't care what people say, you can have a small Hippo and a small yellow together in there..thats whats in my 65. I am upgrading to a 125 next week, but it has nothing to do with the tangs. BTW, there are hundreds of examples of animals that are kept by people in ways that other people don't agree, I don't know why everyone comes down on people who keep tangs in smallish tanks. To me a clown in a 5 gallon nano does'nt seem any better than a hippo in a 30 gallon, but where are the clown police? I would'nt be surprised to find out that these tang protectors of the universe have tangs in smallish tanks themselves.

Hound
02/11/2006, 11:24 AM
i agree i think its people with really nothing else to do and get all caught up in typing and think they are making sence...............advice to the police of how to keep fish....when you feel the need to yell or tell people they suck that means uv been on the computer a bit to long and u need to have real human contact...lol........

kjmst29
02/11/2006, 02:04 PM
btw, I go to the Baltimore Aquarium (the NATIONAL aquarium) annually. Last year I was stunned to see a full grown emporer angel in a small tank. It had plenty of gallons, but was only about 2 feet loong, and 4 feet tall. According to this forum, the director of the aquarium should be thrown into the shark tank. Oh wait, not a tang, nevermind.

EdKruzel
02/11/2006, 03:52 PM
There are many good points here unfortunately accompanied by ignorance.

The rule of thumb in Tang compatibility is to find opposing body shape, diet and/or color.

As most hobbyists have the best intentions of upgrading, none that I am aware of can predict household or family emergencies which always takes a financial priority over a hobby.

To compare clowns and tangs is ignorant as their needs and developments are quite different.

A clownfish has an incredibly small territory on the reef and without a host anemone will most likely fall prey to any number of predators; clowns do not mature to the final female status without being dominant and finding a suitable host.
Clowns are more successful in captivity than in nature.

Tangs are of course larger but fall under the category of shoaling species and cover a wide domain or territory therefore requiring much more room than even larger fish that remain stationary for long periods (IE. grouper, lionfish, hawkfish).

Confines that are too small or overcrowded create stress and weaken the immune system thus leading to a premature death.

Fish are not children and do not fall under the law as such, however they are pets and should receive the same care and concern as anyone that keeps any other animal as a pet.

This thread is closed...

Ed Kruzel
RC Moderator