PDA

View Full Version : HELP, brand new mantis curling up, not moving!

LTJGAlex
02/08/2006, 06:19 PM
Hi, I'm new to the mantis world (though not to the hobby in general). I bought a small 5g tank that I filled with crushed coral, LS, LR and water from my larger tank. I floated the mantis for 1/2hr and he almost immediately curled up and is not moving. I prodded him, including his face, but all he does is wriggle his legs a little.

Any idea what's going on? I really don't want to lose my first mantis.

Thanks.

LTJGAlex
02/08/2006, 06:48 PM
Shoot, no one's even browsing this forum.

dave3d
02/08/2006, 08:37 PM
Well that doesn't sound good...is he still hanging in there? How did he look in the LFS?

-Dave

LTJGAlex
02/08/2006, 09:05 PM
Here's the update in the last few hours.

First, yes he was doing exceptionally well at the LFS. He was running all over the tank, took food and popped readily. I lowered the salinity (noticed that was too high) and refloated him. He's curled up again but now seems more...I guess...lucid? His gills are flapping, eyes and legs moving around, and he did snap at a stick I used to see his reaction.

Just don't know. I really hope he'll be ok.

Thurge
02/09/2006, 02:06 AM
Odd question being you are in Florida but what is the tank temp?
I rescently got a Mantis in the mail that was cold. She was very lethargic bue as she warmed up she came around.
Striking I would take as a good sign.

Uriel
02/09/2006, 04:14 AM
Can you get a picture?

If so, an ID might be possible, then you can see what parameters are required for salinity,temp and even lighting,perhaps.
Look at Roy's list, which is pinned at the top of this forum, you might spot your little monster there. if it is a smasher, ignore the pseudosquilla cilata, as well as the lysiosquillina/ any other that says 'spearer'.

It might just be a bit shocked. Two of mine did the same thing when i first got them, looking dazed for a few hours.

-Ron

LTJGAlex
02/09/2006, 08:29 AM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, thanks Thurge and Uriel, what you both said gels completely with my experience. BTW, looks like Gonodactylellus viridis.

The water I poured into the tank is on the low side of "green," about 70-72 degrees. This morning he's still lethargic but at least he's stretched out to his length and all of his various appendages are moving. He also aggressively struck the prod today.

I'm thinking he just had a rough day. Admittedly, he did have a long bag transit (I drove him for about 5 hours) and then into a new tank. I believe he's just acclimating. I wish I could help the poor guy though. I'll pick up a little 5g heater on the way home.

Thanks, any other observations certainly welcome.

LTJGAlex
02/09/2006, 04:24 PM
All's well! I got home from work today and he's totally alert, reared up and stared at me, and immediately took a silverside offered on a stick.

Thanks for your help guys, I'm glad to be a new member of the mantis keepers' world.

dragonforce
02/09/2006, 05:00 PM
You need to keep those tank temps stable. It should not fluctuate more than a degree throughout the day. I keep all my tanks at around 80-81 degrees.

LTJGAlex
02/10/2006, 07:25 AM
Yeah I got a heater for him. Thanks again.

lost1st manty:(
03/09/2006, 07:36 PM
well same exact thing happened to me and i lost my first mantis a real beauty let me know what you find ouy i will likewise for you

lisajulia
03/12/2006, 03:14 PM
Congrats on nursing your baby back to health...I must have a very hardy critter. I finally got her/him "Godzilla" out of my 72g display, after a 2 year battle, and the loss of my entire clean up crew and tossed it in a bucket...just a tiny bit of water...and she was alive and kicking the next morning. I didn't have the heart to give her up at that point, so she's now in my former 10g qt and doing well. My 3yo daughter loves watching her do flips when she catches her food. I think I am going to make her 'plain' home a little nicer for her *sigh*..the saltwater money pit never ends LOL!