PDA

View Full Version : possible xenia problem!

mr pink floyd
02/08/2006, 07:00 PM
i just bought a small rock of xenia, and it has two seperate colnies on it, when i got it home it was open and fine, now a few hours later it is all closed up, but the single tips open a little then shut, is this the pulsing thing ive been hearing about, ive done my water test, they are all fine, trust me i dont want to write them all upm, i have 65 watts of pc on my 29 gallon, they are placed in low flow, to help pulsing, is this a good thing they are doing or bad?

fishes2889
02/08/2006, 08:22 PM
it is pulsing if they are all opening and closing
do u have a pic?

argo
02/08/2006, 08:40 PM
IME, it's normal for Xenia to contract (sometimes daily and at a specific time). Keep Alk, Ca and pH in check and provide it with moderate random water flow (low flow won't help it pulse). How close is your colony to PC lights? Give it a few days to adjust to your tank. Keep us posted.

hisc1ay
02/08/2006, 08:58 PM
They are probably fine. Sometimes they do that. Nothing to worry about until they start wilting. Although, by then it's probably too late. :) But even then they'll probably grow back. They're crazy like that.

-j

R33f3r
02/09/2006, 09:17 AM
IMO, xenia is like shrooms. Can they even be killed? All it takes it just a fraction of it to start growing again. I like xenia but in someone elses' tank:)

mr pink floyd
02/09/2006, 01:10 PM
its all good, i came home after work, and they were all out, al a meeter of factr it already seemed to grow, they are even more extended then i remembered, and they are in an area where flow can be moderate or low, it is pretty random, they are about 12-15 inches from the lights, my highest point is about 8-9 inches down, and i am adding another 65 watts soon, so i can do some LPs and SPS

The steven liu
02/10/2006, 12:09 AM
From what I've heard xenia likes and does best in medium to strong current. I am not an expert on those though so don't quote me but at work we put many of them very near powerheads and they extend much more than the ones that are further away.

eleodes
02/10/2006, 12:24 AM
yeah Xenia are tough as nails. periodic shape changing and contraction is normal.