PDA

View Full Version : anthias red despar help!

Rlbluiz
02/08/2006, 09:04 PM
okay people.... i need help... i've grown impatient by now...

i bought 2 red despar anthias from the store last friday. they are really freaked out by any sort of movement around their quarantine tank which i might add that there really no movement at all since its in the corner and away from everything. They do come out and swim when no ones looking but hide as soon as I come around...
well anyway, this behavior is normal for anthias as i've learned, but I have not yet been able to feed them. I tried everything from live brine, frozen brine, kelp, clam, squid, mussel, shrimp, a variety of flakes and even tried the old garlic trick ... just doesn't seems to arouse them...The water conditions are virtually perfect and I have not yet started any sort of treatment on them until they begin to eat.
Can someone tell me they had the same problem and give me some new tactics? I have clamped right now a tiny piece of shrimp in the tank and they aren't even interested even though they are out swimming right next to it.
I dont get it. This is really weird.

Amphiprion
02/08/2006, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. Keep trying and see if you can't continue to try live foods. Dispars aren't the easiest of the anthias species, anyway, and feeding is often the first and largest hurdle to cross. Have you tried a good brand of mysis? This often gets finicky feeders to start eating. I have also heard that Daphnia (live) works well, also. Oh, before I forget, it is "dispar" (don't say despair, or people will think you are gloomy and have some dying, gloomy fish)

Rlbluiz
02/08/2006, 09:17 PM
OH YES...I did try mysis shrimp and plankton.... and it was UNsuccessful as well. I am not familiar with that other food you told me about? What is it and where do I get it?

Are they gonna die on me?
(They were eating at the store- frozen brine)

Thanks for all your help!

Amphiprion
02/08/2006, 09:20 PM
It is hard to say at this point, but unless they start eating in the next few days, they are going to be in trouble. Have you heard of sweetwater zooplankton? Daphnia is the live form of that. They grow in ponds, etc and are easy to culture. Look to some freshwater breeders near you to see if they have some. I know you can order it, but from where I have no earthly idea.

Rlbluiz
02/08/2006, 09:24 PM
Ahh yes..I saaw a jar of sweetwater zooplankton the other day at the store...I guess i'm gonna have to take a ride up there to see if they still have it.
Do i just drop a little in the water or does it make a complete mess?

This stinks :o( Saltwater fish are so expensive....

Amphiprion
02/08/2006, 09:27 PM
If you can get your hands on some live ones, it would be better. You can try it, though I don't think they will take to the dead ones in the jar.

Rlbluiz
02/08/2006, 09:28 PM
Alright...I'm going to try and find them tomorrow as soon as I get out of work. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Amphiprion
02/08/2006, 09:30 PM
All you can do is try, and I am more than happy to help out. Hope it works for you.

Rlbluiz
02/08/2006, 09:45 PM
Well... if you can think of anything else... Please let me know.

Thanks.