PDA

View Full Version : Cured vs Uncured Rock

Scott1
02/08/2006, 10:55 PM
I am setting up a new system. Is it better to get well-cured live rock locally or domestically or try to get rock directly from the source with minimal curing? I am will to do the curing work if it will result in more life & diversity on the rocks. It seems to me that more curing means more sterile rock.

Years ago I bought rock from Florida when harvesting was legal. The rock came in with mushrooms and other life beyond algaes, most of it lived. Of course is much closer than the pacific but there is rock coming from Hatti.

200 Gal

BodiBuilt
02/08/2006, 11:05 PM
Multiple live rock sources=biodiversity!!! Ask your LFS for a $discount if you purchase l.r. "by the box"&"uncured"(having your LFS order will save you shipping$$$!) You have better chance of getting more "life" by curing yourself>however, always look for nice pieces of "prime" l.r.,(however-small) which can be benificial to help "seed" the rest!

dc
02/08/2006, 11:06 PM
And if you do uncured, you can cure it in your tank while it's cycling.

Blown 346
02/08/2006, 11:38 PM
I like getting a mix between the two for the reasons mentioned above. It is cheaper to get Unceured than cured, and life is more prominent with it.
But the only down side to uncured rock is the bad hitch hikers you can get from it.
I bought about 100LBS of uncered rock from my LFS, it came off the truck in a box and I took it home. I ended up having 7 unwanted crabs that reaked havoc on my tank for three years before they all grew large enough to find and take out.
I lost fish, inverts like crazy form them.
The cured rock was also used to help seed the uncured stuff.

If you do go uncured I would cure it in a seperate bin to help rid and find the bad Hitch hikers if any. and get them out before they are in your tank.

LaDonaDorada
02/08/2006, 11:49 PM
how do you get unwanted hitch hickers out of rock if you cure it in a bin vs. your display tank?

Blown 346
02/09/2006, 12:30 AM
If it is in a bin you can take the rock out and flush it with either high salinity or low salinity to drive the unwanted's out. If it is in your tank, many people I know dont want to tear it all apart to getto the hitch hiker.
Most of the time the hitch hiker will be in the bottom rock.
You could even use club soda or fresh water and just pout it into the holes of the rock and that will also get them out.

Fred_J
02/09/2006, 01:47 AM
If you were happy with the uncured Florida rock from years ago try checking the www.tampabaysaltwater.com site. It's not for everyone but I have it in one tank with lots of diversity.
Fred

dead beat reef
02/10/2006, 01:00 AM
Have been waiting since May of 05 for the 2nd half of the 60
gal. pac. from Tampa Bay. Think it over.
G.F.I. dbr

Fred_J
02/10/2006, 03:55 PM
I think I received my second half in may of 05. something wrong because I'm sure on the "our TBS" thread several people have received both halves after may. There was some sort of computer glitch or something around that time (If my bad memory serves me) and in the TBS sponsor forum Richard asked everyone to send in what was missing. Amd yes this was around the red tide and hurricanes but they got almost completely caught up several months later.
Call Mary if she is still there.
Fred

DrBegalke
02/10/2006, 04:16 PM
i prefer to see the rock before i buy it... just me though...

dead beat reef
02/10/2006, 11:19 PM
Have been in touch with TBS several times. Lots of talk no rock.
G.F.I. dbr