PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon and soft corals, how much light?

Noah_Count
02/09/2006, 08:22 PM
My 55 gallon setup has always been FOWLR but I just moved it recently and I lost the one fish I had left in the process.:(
Since that happened,I added some more live rock and I'm waiting on the tank to go through what appears to be another cycling process.
I'm hoping to start working with soft corals when I'm fully up and running again and wonder if I have enough light.
I have a homemade 2X65 watt hood with 50/50 Act/10K bulbs.
That 130 watts of light works out to be a little more than 2 watts a gallon. Is this enough for most of the soft corals or do I need to add more. If so, how much? I have the parts around where I could add in a regular 40 watt marine aquarium flourescent for a total of 170 watts of light. I'm trying not to go much more than that as I'm kind of on a budget here and would like to keep the operational and yearly bulb replacement cost down if possible. Options? Opinions?

fishdoc11
02/09/2006, 08:37 PM
You could keep some of the easier to keep softies and maybe a few easier to keep lps under 170 watts on your tank. Be sure to keep the bulbs changed out for best results. Also running carbon and changing it out often for water clarity will help quite a bit. Good skimming would be nice also. You can do more with less light if you water is free of yellowing compounds etc...
Chris