PDA

View Full Version : Lightning basics

ReefDreams
02/10/2006, 07:59 AM
I must admit, I'm somewhat lost between all the comments I am receiving. Especially when it comes to light, I would like to create this thread to help people starting with lightning. I won't be the one giving the information tho ! :D

I thought that we could put a sticky on this post (I'll mod my message with the information I gather)

-Watts
Correct me if I am wrong, the number of watts will correspond to the intensity of your lightning, some corals require more, some less. Generally 4 to 6 watts/gallon* is good depending on the height of your tank
*I heard that the watts ratio for certain type of lights is different (T5) can someone give input here ?

-Kelvin rating (ie : 10k, 14k, 20k)
Here again, if I am wrong tell me. The kelvin ratings affect the coloration and growth of the corals, the higher you go the best color definition, the lower better growth. The higher the rating will also effect the color of the light, higher kelvin = bluer

-Light type
MH (SE/DE)
VHO
PCs
T5

-Bulb type
Actinic
Daylight
50/50

I'll try to gather up some more info, if Im totally wrong tell me I'm learning while doing this..

I'll edit the post when I come back from school

Thanks !