PDA

View Full Version : plague of algae!

scbadiver
02/10/2006, 11:17 AM
I have a 240 gal with about 200 pounds of rock in it and about ALL of it is covered with "neomeris annulata" algae. This all sprouted shortly after I installed the new lighting, 3 250w mh and 440w vho actinic. As it is a calcium based plant i have decided it is the cause of my problems with the water. I add kalk and reef calcium all the time and can hardly keep Ca above 350ppm the Alkalinity is good, usually 9-10 dkh but Ph is always low, 7.9 - 8.0 most days. I have done many things wrong up to now but now I'd like any suggestions on geeting rid of this stuff without removing the rock. I have tried to pull it off, it's too tough. I put in 4 urchins but they prefer the cleaner undersides of the rocks. I tried less light but the corals started to suffer. I tried letting to Ca drop to about 100ppm, the growth definately slowed and it started to die but guess what, eveything else in the tank was dying too. Ok, sorry for long post but I'm very frustrated and open to suggestions for fixing this short of tearing the tank apart which is about where I am now. Thanks everybody!

wetWolger
02/10/2006, 11:31 AM
sounds like you got a whole mess of a problem. If you have another tank I would remove the corals and let the CA drop till it is around nothing. I assume you have a fuge and a skimmer? If not now would be a good time to add one. Otherwise you could try a foxface and a couple emerald crabs. The only algae mine wont eat is halmedia. Sorry I am not much help but thats all I can think of atm.

scbadiver
02/10/2006, 11:51 AM
I have 135 gal sump sub divided with about 65 gal of it being a fuge. my skimmer is a little undersized but seems to be working overtime since this started. I'm getting almost a gallon of thick black skimate every week. I've done some water changes but they don't seem to help much (use RODI). Is a Foxface reef safe?
I was going to go get some emeralds this weekend so you confirmed that idea for me. Thanks

wetWolger
02/10/2006, 11:56 AM
yes they are reef safe