PDA

View Full Version : 4 corals - light/water flow??

Sparg93
02/10/2006, 07:38 PM
I have 4 new corals and just want to make sure i am giving them the proper light and water flow. Here is what i have recently gotten and was wondering where the optimal spots in the tank were for each piece (my current setup is 46g with 2x96watt PCs)

Brain Coral
Ricordia
Candy Cane
Lobo

Also, the brain/candy/lobo are my first three target feeders. When is the best time to feed these guys?

Thanks!!

-Craig

Sparg93
02/10/2006, 08:20 PM
Anybody?

MiddletonMark
02/11/2006, 04:39 AM
Do you have a pic of the brain?
That term refers to a wide range of corals, lots of great ones ... but even with `open brain' or `maze brain' sadly that means a half dozen Genus.

What kind of flow devices do you have running in the tank?

Are these frags or wild corals?

Sparg93
02/11/2006, 08:26 AM
Unfortunately no pics.... (i really need to get a camera)

Right now my flow comes from a Rio2100 as the return in the sump below (is going to be replaced with a Mag 7) and a maxijet 1000 for flow inside the tank.

The Candy Cane and Ricordia are def frags, but i don't remember the guy mentioning if the lobo and brain were also frags.

Right now the candy cane is 14" from the lights and has opened up very nicely, the brain/ricodia/lobo are all about 18" from the lights and seem to like it there (they ate the first night they were here)

The candy cane gets the most current sitting towards the top with a moderate flow, the other three sit on a lower ledge and receive a slower current.

Any changes you would make?

Thanks!

mr pink floyd
02/11/2006, 09:56 AM
brain might need a little more

MiddletonMark
02/11/2006, 11:37 AM
That sounds about right to me, my candy cane gets more light/flow than my others and does fine.

The stonies should all extend feeding tentacles at some point [often not long after lights out]. I'll often cut flow a little, then drop food onto my brain [or into it's tentacles] and similarly with the candy cane. You want to be gentle, so as to not have the coral retract from the turkey baster/etc ... but I'll often feed small pieces of a meaty food [mysis, small pieces of shrimp or squid] once or twice a week.