PDA

View Full Version : Carbon filtration..need some opinions

jaymumma
02/10/2006, 11:00 PM
Ok, so I have tried reducing my nitrites by adding bacteria supplements, feeding more, and of course major and frequent water changes, but to no avail still have higher than normal readings. The water I use for water changes has been filtered and tests at 0 across the board.
So, I asked a friend about this and she suggested that I remove my carbon filter and just go with the skimmer and live rock to filter the water. Her rationale is that the carbon filter is eating up my beneficial bacteria hence why my tank nitrification process is balancing itself out. Is she full of it and should I try just using the skimmer and live rock? Or keep the carbon filter going as well?
I lost one star fish today, but he was a hanger on to a rock purchase last weekend and was sickly to begin with. The rest of the corals and fish appear to be fine, but still drives me nuts that my water parameters are not 0. Just did a 25% water change today and still getting the same readings. These water changes have been being done for the past 6 weeks, done once a week at 25% at a pop.
Tank has been up and running for about 16 months and readings have never been 0 across all board

Sm0kin
02/10/2006, 11:37 PM
feeding more may cause more of a problem. Try more frequent water changes and siphon the pooh off the bottom more often. Don't add any more fish to the tank until the cycling is complete.

jaymumma
02/11/2006, 12:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6714978#post6714978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sm0kin
feeding more may cause more of a problem. Try more frequent water changes and siphon the pooh off the bottom more often. Don't add any more fish to the tank until the cycling is complete.

You don't think that after 16 months (1 year and 4 months) that they cycling isn't complete????

I'll try doing more water changes, but I thought that a little more that 200% water changes each month would have been adequate, am I nieve?

Fmellish
02/11/2006, 12:25 AM
Clean the rock and the sand.
Skim the hell out of the water.
Carbon can't really hurt, but I don't use it.
Don't feed so much.

Just let it ride, patience man.

I do 10% water change once a month and my params have never been out of spec.

My 2 cents
Josh

jaymumma
02/11/2006, 12:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6715197#post6715197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fmellish
Clean the rock and the sand.
Skim the hell out of the water.
Carbon can't really hurt, but I don't use it.
Don't feed so much.

Just let it ride, patience man.

I do 10% water change once a month and my params have never been out of spec.

My 2 cents
Josh

When you say clean rock and sand, how so? I have been told NOT to disturb the sand bed. Generally, when I do the water changes I'll suck up some of the brown gunk off the sand but not take te syphon deep (ewwh..sounds erotic):D
Are you saying just do what I'm doing and patience will have it's rewards?
Sorry for all the questions just lookin for a reslove

mg426
02/11/2006, 01:27 AM
Do you have a DSB???? they work great for me. I set up a 30 gal fuge and used a 5 inch DSB Nitrates are gone in about 6 weeks 0.